Concealed Carry Backpacks

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Backpacks within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a bit of an unusual question. I have been on crutches since my service days in the 1970's and also need to carry ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By kapnketel

Thread: Concealed Carry Backpacks

I have a bit of an unusual question. I have been on crutches since my service days in the 1970's and also need to carry an oxygen bottle. Do you know of a backpack that will carry a tank of oxygen, an Ipad and have a special compartment for a concealed carry pistol. I carry a S & W 9 mm Shield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Distinguished Member
    I have a lot of bags but none designed for an oxygen tank. However I live in a retirement community and I see a lot of people with them. I would think that any good backpack would allow you to attack the oxygen tank using its webbing or an open compartment. Many have compartments for iPads these days. Heck, I have a winter jacket with an interior iPad pocket and concealed holster in the pocket.

Any compartment can become a concealed holster if it is large enough for your gun. Blackhawk sells an inexpensive universal holster with a mag holder that attaches to a strip of Velcro loops. The industrial strength ones they sell in Home Depot and Lowes work very well. I have used them to hold heavy radio equipment. Just put a strip inside any compartment and attach the holster and you are good to go. However, a gun in a backpack is not very accessible. There are some fine belt, shoulder and fanny packs which look like typical hiking gear that work well for quick access to your gun. The best pack to attach to a backpack though is the Wilderness Tactical SafePacker. Google it.

I live in a large retirement community so I deal with these problems a lot. I can check on my website to see if anyone has information that can help you as we discuss gun issues for seniors. If I hear anything I will let you know but in the mean time, if you search you can find what you need.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Look at the Maxpedition website. Their bags have space for hydration bladders and have loops on the straps for a water hose, they may work with a small Oxygen bottle. They are CCW friendly.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Check out the Maxpedition line of backpacks. They are sold at a number of different retailers and several places online (LA Police Gear and Optics Planet are two I have dealt with). I'm sure you will be able to find one with the correct dimensions to fill your needs. They are a bit expensive, but are of very good quality and will last a lifetime. They make an adjustable "holster" that attaches to an inside compartment with Velcro that will accommodate your handgun. Good luck.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Check out the 511 Rush Moab 10

It sounds like it could be ideal for what you want.

Distinguished Member
    Don't know the dimensions of your bottle, but you may want to look at the Maxpedition Falcon II

I have one, and it's a great bag. The front bottom pouch will definitely hold an iPad, and the rear-most compartment has a velcro field to attach holsters.

Main compartment is 9.5"(L) x 18"(H) x 5"(W), so if your oxygen bottle is within that, it should work.

They're not cheap, at $140 most places, but they're definitely built to last. I EDC a Maxpedition Jumbo, I keep a Mongo in my car, used to have a Monsoon, but I sold it to buy the Falcon II to use for hunting. Not one of them has an inch of wear, and not for lack of trying...

If I were using crutches every day I might look at the motor cycle catalogs for tank bags, sissy bar bags, etc... and strap them to my crutches. a small strap on bag could easily carry a gun, I pad, etc. They are made for easy access while riding, so would be easily accessible one handed. Trying to draw from a back pack would not be easy. DR

I don't have any personel experience with this pack, but was thinking of getting one and it might meet your needs. I like the fact it doesn't scream tactical pack. Covert Backpack | 5.11 Tactical COVRT 18 Backpack

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have both sizes of the Maxpedition Sitka, it is a messenger bag design with one strap that can rotate in front of your body will full access to the compartments and my firearm. Comes in both right and left handed versions. My wife uses the Kodiak (the larger) as she carries a laptop for travel, I just carry an iPad, a wireless keyboard and other stuff for travel so the Sitka is perfect.

Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger Shoulder Sling Tactical Messenger Gear Bag
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

i have the moab 10. got it on amazon. it is very useful. we've used it for weekend getaway's, as a daddy bag and it sits as a b.o.b. i recommend you check out some vids on youtube.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    +2 on Maxpedition! Their products are not cheap but are top quality and will last! I have the Versipack which I love for hiking and boating. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have a Maxpedition Kodiak gearslinger, and I think it might fill the bill. It has a CCW section that's easy to get to and is large enough to carry an O2 bottle. My aunt carries oxy so I know roughly the bottle size. The Kodiak and Sitka both have just one strap, so they're not ideal for very heavy loads but should work well for just a bottle, gun and a few items.

BTW, welcome to DC!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Sponsored Links