Magpul B.A.D. Lever

This is a discussion on Magpul B.A.D. Lever within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody out there have any experience using the Magpul battery assist device? It seems to be a great product and an added benefit in ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pittypat21

Thread: Magpul B.A.D. Lever

Magpul B.A.D. Lever

Does anybody out there have any experience using the Magpul battery assist device? It seems to be a great product and an added benefit in certain circumstances. It certainly makes some techniques much more convenient. I just installed one on my wife's rifle and I've enjoyed messing around with it a bit.

Has anybody used one of these in a situation other than messing around with an empty rifle in your living room? I'd like to know if it really adds any extra benefit in the real world. From what I've seen with using it on my wife's rifle, I think I might end up getting one for my own, but am curious of others' opinions first.

For those that haven't heard of or seen this item yet, here's a link:
    THEORY BASED PRODUCTS - B.A.D. Lever® - Battery Assist Device ? AR15/M16

It basically enables you to utilize the bolt catch/release with your trigger finger, which allows you to work the charging handle with your left hand instead of your firing hand. It can speed up a lot of techniques that might normally require you to complete change the position of the rifle, or use awkward hand positioning. At first this device made a lot more sense when used in conjunction with the readymag system (Travis Haley uses this in the Magpul Dynamics Art of the Tactical Carbine video), since the ready mag system either blocks or makes it very difficult to access the bolt catch/release.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I had the Magpul BAD lever on my fist rifle, and on my current rifle I have the Tactical Link version. My preference is the Tactical Link as it seems like a tighter attachment on the original lever and I prefer the control being higher in the trigger guard than the Magpul. They both work the same. I find it helpful. You will get a lot of debate on this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

As a lefty I found it very useful, I'd recommend it.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I've heard some stories... If it's only for a range gun, go for it, if your life could ever depend on it.. I'd pass. (Just my opinion)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I've heard some stories... If it's only for a range gun, go for it, if your life could ever depend on it.. I'd pass. (Just my opinion)
    Any reason for that opinion?

I specifically wouldn't put it on a range gun, because with a range gun I don't need to do anything quickly or super efficiently. I can take my firing hand away from the pistol grip without fear of being unable to quickly get back to the trigger. The point of the BAD lever is to make certain techniques easier to perform in a tactical situation - when you need to keep the gun shouldered, or get your gun back up and running as quickly as possible. So if it was only for a range gun, it'd be a big waste of my $30.

Not to mention that using the BAD lever doesn't cause any part of the firearm to actually quit functioning, and it doesn't permanently change anything about the firearm. If the BAD Lever failed, using the bolt catch/release in the conventional fashion would still work just fine.
    Rob99VMI04 likes this.

I am a left hander and i gave the BAD lever a try on my friends rifle.It took me about 5 min to realize that this was a good product and that it was not woth the time and effort to retrain myself after 20 + years behind an AR.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    If the BAD Lever failed, using the bolt catch/release in the conventional fashion would still work just fine.
    I've heard other opinions about this quoted part. Not basing it on personal experience, just what I read on forums such as these.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I've heard other opinions about this quoted part. Not basing it on personal experience, just what I read on forums such as these.
    With the BAD lever on, you can still manipulate the weapon using the standard techniques just fine.

Now, I guess if it failed it would depend on HOW it failed as to whether or not the standard bolt catch would work. I think the mostly likely scenario is the lever itself actually breaks. In which case, you could definitely still operate the weapon just fine. a more unlikely scenario would be the BAD lever somehow being affected in such a way as to break the actual bolt catch itself. In which case, no, you wouldn't be able to operate the weapon normally. But honestly, I don't see that specific instance actually happening.

With the BAD lever on, you can still manipulate the weapon using the standard techniques just fine.

Now, I guess if it failed it would depend on HOW it failed as to whether or not the standard bolt catch would work. I think the mostly likely scenario is the lever itself actually breaks. In which case, you could definitely still operate the weapon just fine. a more unlikely scenario would be the BAD lever somehow being affected in such a way as to break the actual bolt catch itself. In which case, no, you wouldn't be able to operate the weapon normally. But honestly, I don't see that specific instance actually happening.
    I think one person who posted about it happening is a respected member here, so we'll see if he posts about it. Either way, if it works for you, go for it! ;)

Here's a couple pictures of the lever on my wife's rifle.

BAD Lever_1.jpg

As you can see from this picture, the catch is still visible and easily accessible with the BAD lever equipped. The release is obviously still easy used because all you have to do is press on the top of the lever that is now attached the larger release section of the button (there's gotta be technical terms for these).

And here's the other side. You can see that all it does is basically extend the catch to the opposite side of the rifle, and the catch/release is still functional if the lever broke.
    BAD Lever_2.jpg

I think one person who posted about it happening is a respected member here, so we'll see if he posts about it. Either way, if it works for you, go for it! ;)
    Perhaps it was Jconsiglio?

Cause I want his opinion on this. He'd certainly either have the experience with it to know, or he would think of a scenario that I couldn't.

Perhaps it was Jconsiglio?

Cause I want his opinion on this. He'd certainly either have the experience with it to know, or he would think of a scenario that I couldn't.
    Yes, I didn't want to say his name without knowing if it was him or not, but it may have been a post he made on another forum he goes on, but otherwise I could be confusing him with someone else... I sure do read a lot about this stuff so not positive... lol.

Links