First time using break free CLP

This is a discussion on First time using break free CLP within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I picked this stuff up and decided to give it a try. What I did was field strip the gun sprayed (decent ammount) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: First time using break free CLP

First time using break free CLP

Ok so I picked this stuff up and decided to give it a try. What I did was field strip the gun sprayed (decent ammount) the slide, barrel, and frame. I let it sit then went at it with a soft brush. After everything was clean I wiped it down and put it back together.

My question is do I need to lube any further? It seems like this stuff leaves a film and I didn't want to over lube. Also is it cool to just spray the stuff directly onto the slide? Is it a problem if it gets in the firing pin channel? I am new to guns in general any help you be great.

Galaxy S4 on TapaTalk
    Last edited by Joedub; June 14th, 2013 at 09:00 PM.

2. Remove Ads

CLP has been used for many years . Use it to clean the weapon and it is lubed ready to go. It protects even better as it cures but is ready to go as soon as you put it on.
    A very little goes a long way. I use it alone on every weapon we own . Some that were put away for years were cleaned with it and came back out of storage like new.
    Like every thing today some one will offer a magic new trick the secret formula all a bunch of hog wash and over priced CLP will serve you just fine .
    If you soaked it down wipe it down good the stuff is meant to be used spearingly

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    You should avoid getting any cleaner or lube in the firing pin channel.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

CLP for breakfast ain't my idea of "breakfast of champions"...

Did the "smart" phone step on its necktie with auto-complete?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Did the "smart" phone step on its necktie with auto-complete?
    It does make my wife's hard boiled eggs go down easier:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I bet it's a good thing she's out of town so she won't see that crack!
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yeah Damn phone. I will be more careful about the firing pin channel. My main concern was the firearm being properly lubricated.

Galaxy S4 on TapaTalk
    Last edited by Joedub; June 14th, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
    gasmitty likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Personally, I'm coo-coo for cocoa puffs.

Seriously, there are a lot of good lubes out there. I typically will immerse a disassembled gun in some cheap lube. Clean the bore, plus a little light nylon brushing where needed. Shake the drops loose, blow it with compressed air, use minimal lube in just the right places and reassemble.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    What kind of gun are we talking about?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I generally always use CLP in the cold months and Tetra gun grease in the hot months. Both have worked extremely well for me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Joedub View Post
    Yeah Damn to phone. I will be more careful about the firing pin channel. My main concern was the firearm being properly lubricated.

Galaxy S4 on TapaTalk
    CLP = Cleaner, Lubricant, and Protectant.

You should be good tp go.
    goldshellback and Bark'n like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

So applying the CLP and brushing the gun down and wiping excess off is the proper way to use this stuff?
    ps the guns are M&Ps.
    Galaxy S4 on TapaTalk

I use this as of a few months ago. First time I did, I WAY overdid it and the next time on the range I was getting a facefull of it each time I fired a shot. Now what I do is spray a small amount in a bottlecap and apply using a qtip. Now I should mention that I do not use this for a cleaner (I use Gunslick foaming cleaner followed by cool water for that), I just use it for a lube and protectant. I was talking with a USMC vet who served multiple tours in Iraq as an infantryman, he told me he used precisely one can of CLP for his M16 in 7 months (of almost daily cleaning).

For the best cleaning results, let sit wet overnight or at least for about 30 minutes then wipe off leaving a thin film.
    It's a very good and proven product. Unless they have changed things, it was the only authorized cleaning and lining agent allowed by the Marines on the M16.

I really like Breakfree CLP. In part it's probably because I'm "old school" and haven't researched any cleaning product since the late 80's! What can I say? If it ain't broke, I can't probably still fix it!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links