Surefire E1L......

Surefire E1L......

This is a discussion on Surefire E1L...... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was hoping I would get to write a rave review on this cool little light. I ordered it and got it shipped here for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire E1L......

Surefire E1L......

I was hoping I would get to write a rave review on this cool little light. I ordered it and got it shipped here for a total of $76. It was new in the package and everything. It is a very neat little light. But, the clicky switch broke in just a few short hours. I'm giving Surefire a chance to fix this. I email them the following email.

To whom it may concern,

I ordered a Surefire E1L and recieved it yesterday. I really like the light except for one thing. The tailcap stopped working last night. When I first opened the package I clicked it on and everything was fine. It clicked very nicely and felt good. Then late last night I noticed the clicking didn't sound or feel the same. Then it just stopped clicking. Now I can only use it in momentary mode. This is rather dissappointing. Please let me know what I need to do with this for warrenty work.

Thanks

clipse
    I'll let you guys know how they respond. You can't imagine my dissappointment when my new flashlight stopped working.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Assistant Administrator
    That's a bummer for sure.

I am not sure of the spec' on the E1L but am imagining it is about like my E1e, which you may recall needed a new switch - and Surefire sent me a new one quickly. That tho is a clicky too but (knock on wood) still working.

Hope soon remedied for you and you can write up some more on it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    That's a bummer for sure.

I am not sure of the spec' on the E1L but am imagining it is about like my E1e, which you may recall needed a new switch - and Surefire sent me a new one quickly. That tho is a clicky too but (knock on wood) still working.

Hope soon remedied for you and you can write up some more on it.
    The E1L is the same as an E1e only it has a KL1 LED head on it. Really cool little light. I haven't read much about the clickie switches going bad so I'm guessing its more of an isolated incident.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh, well then my E1e is in fact now a E1L - as well over a year ago I bought the LED head (pricey in itself).

Despite price it has been a major improvment - still a very dazzling light source and supposedly about same light output. Best thing is the batt' life and more progressive fall off.

I have even had useable light with a cell that was down to near 2.7V !! Tho of course usually replace batt' long before that - I keep the old cells to ''use up'' when I have to use the light for utilitarian stuff in shop.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I bought this light for a specific purpose. After Thanksgiving I'm going to get a Surefire L4. I intend to swap the head and use the KL4 on the E1L body with a rechargable CR123. That makes a full 100lumens of brightness. It only last for about 20 minutes but no dropoff in brightness. Of course I was going to add a resistor to the tailcap to make it a two stage light. (twist tailcap for on, click to go between hi and low) Then I want to use the KL1 on the L4 body for what is basically an E2L. Only I am going to use a Li-ion 17670 for rechargable guilt free lumens. The world of flashlights is so exciting. :)

Of course the switch going bad is kinda upsetting. I'll have to play with the new/fixed one for awhile before I'll feel confident in it.
    Last edited by clipse; November 22nd, 2006 at 11:20 AM.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I called Surefire this morning since I still have not recieved an email from them. The guy I talked to was very pleasent. I explained that the switched stopped working and before I could explain more, he stopped me and asked for my name and address so they could ship a new tailcap to me. :)

I have also orded an aftermarket tailcap to test as well. I'll include that in the write up i'll have on this light.

Meanwhile, I have completely dissassembled the tailcap, I think I have found the culprit. There is a plunger that is getting hung up on what I think is some rough plastic. I'll get a closer look after I get home and get some better lighting. Fixing it will be a bugger though. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I Am Fairly Certain...

that you will find SureFire more than happy to 'quickly' fix what ever problem you are having...you'll be happy with the products and the service!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hi Clipse,
    Sometines it work and sometimes not, but try this, it is two springs that form part ot he base plate in the switch, they come out out of that plate and go up, it is like two prongs,

Push these prongs inside (toward the center) with a small flat blade screwdriver.

The Z-57 switch was always a problem, this is not isolated case, I have had numerours Z-57's go bad on me.

cheers
    black bear
    Builder of the BOREALIS 1050 lumens flashlight

and www.blackbearflashlights.com

E-Mail admin@blackbearflashlights.com

Quote Originally Posted by black bear 84 View Post
    Hi Clipse,
    Sometines it work and sometimes not, but try this, it is two springs that form part ot he base plate in the switch, they come out out of that plate and go up, it is like two prongs,

Push these prongs inside (toward the center) with a small flat blade screwdriver.
    I tried that it didn't change anything. It still wouldn't click. After some reading I've come to realize that the z57 is problematic. For some it will work perfectly but some it doesn't. I'll continue to mess with this one. I'll thouroughly test the new one, and compare it to the aftermarket McClicky.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have carried a 6P for 20+ years and all I've every changed is the bulbs and batteries. My E2E has replaced it as my daily plain clothes carry and it has worked smoothly. I'll bet your will fire up with the new parts and I hope that your satisfied with Surefires customer service. I know one of their field reps (a former D boy) and its funny I get a nice discount but dont need anymore stuff, as I now have four Surefire lights.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    I bought this light for a specific purpose. After Thanksgiving I'm going to get a Surefire L4.
    I hope you have better luck getting an L4 than I have had. I ordered one on Oct 14 and am still waiting. Surefire said it might be another 6 weeks before any are available.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Gimpy the simple answer to that is Iraq. The us military has been ordering Surefire out of stock. Its one of the must haves by our brothers and sisters deployed.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Don't bother with email with Surefire, I got told "no" twice by email and had the same happy experience by phone that you did.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Gimpy the simple answer to that is Iraq. The us military has been ordering Surefire out of stock. Its one of the must haves by our brothers and sisters deployed.
    If that is the case then I am more than happy to move to the back of the line. My little MagLite will suffice until all our GIs are equipped with the Surefire light of their choice.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't think the military is ordering the L4 persay(sp?). The way I understand it, Surefire ramps up production of the lights that the military has contract for. (the L4 is not one of them) The leaves the other lights for civilian use on the backburner at Surefire. They can't produce more untill they get the military taken care for first.

BTW, I like to take pictures and Surefire flashlights are some of the most photogenic. Here is my E1l. I know its not that great of a pic but here it is anyway.

Also, alot of people have complained about the beam being kinda squarish with no sidespill. It is squarish with no sidespill but it works. The beam is really usefull like it is. Here is a beam shot.

I got the switch working for the most part. I still don't feel confident in a switch that need work to work right. We'll see how the new switch works.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links