Shot timer apps?

This is a discussion on Shot timer apps? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with any of the shot timer apps for Androids? I think a shot timer can be a valuable training tool ...

Thread: Shot timer apps?

Shot timer apps?

Does anyone have any experience with any of the shot timer apps for Androids?

I think a shot timer can be a valuable training tool (as it gives both a quantifiable measure to compete against, as well asjust inducing a little more stress.), but most of the standalone ones are outside my current budget.

I know, there are no timers in a gunfight (there never were in my experience at least), but the faster a person can get good hits on target, the better.

I am okay with paying for an app as long as it works decently well, since it would still be significantly less than a stand alone unit.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I use a Pocket Pro that I picked up at a gun auction only because it was fairly cheap. Most shot timer pricing starts in the $100 plus range and the Procket Pro is about $140.

A friend uses a free downloadable shot timer by Surefire
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Has your friend had any feedback about the surefire app?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    I've been meaning to post up about the app I use and just keep forgetting!

I use an iPhone app called Shot Timer.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/free...338091445?mt=8

For free, I cannot complain. You do have to do some playing around with the sensitivity to get it to pick up all your shots, but once you get it dialed in, it works fine. It doesn't have a very robust export feature, but that may be just the free version. I don't really need the data for any purpose other than personal knowledge, so I just leave it in the app and name it if I want to note that string for any reason.

EDIT: Looks like there is no paid version, so if you are looking for something with lots of reporting features, this may not work for you. If you want a basic timer that records shots, times and splits, then give it a try!

EDIT Part 2: Added a pic of the email data it will send you. The text is selectable, so I guess you could cut/paste it into a spreadsheet but it'd be a pain.

screenshot_91.jpg
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

The only way I can use a phone based shot timer is if I have my active muffs with. With foam plugs or passive muffs I have not found the beep loud enough to be effective. With active muffs and plugging into the aux audio jack from the phone it is ok. Let me rephrase that it is ok unless there are 20 other people blasting away at the range.

Lead Moderator
    I use the same as tx expat , it works well enough to give me times to improve on. Works well on my iphone
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the feedback, now to see if that one exists for Droid as well.

I usually have my phone plugged into my active muffs anyways, I like to have a soundtrack while I shoot. Country for shotgun sports, rock for close in pistol and rifle, classical for distance rifle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I am running Android. I use, "IPSC Shot Timer." However, I have not used it for live fire. I have only used it for dry fire drills. It works great for what I use it for.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I usually have my phone plugged into my active muffs anyways, I like to have a soundtrack while I shoot. Country for shotgun sports, rock for close in pistol and rifle, classical for distance rifle.
    First of all: Best quote ever
    Second: My first thought was, "I have to buy some of those active muffs instead of my $10.00 walmart ones" but then I realized I can just wear my ear bud headphones from my phone, under my regular muffs. Great idea though

I found a free one on the android marketplace for free just called "Shotimer" that had good reviews and has been downloaded a lot. For basic use I was happy with it.

It has the ability to give the beep a random delay, and told me my times/splits.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I downloaded the "IPSC Shot Time (Beta)" for my android. I use it for live fire practice and it works. It also works very well when I practice at home with my airsoft pistol. You can't beat free.

Links