Prescription shooting glasses?

This is a discussion on Prescription shooting glasses? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear glasses for driving at night, at the movie theater and when I shoot. I've been practicing on the bowling pin range at a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Prescription shooting glasses?

Prescription shooting glasses?

I wear glasses for driving at night, at the movie theater and when I shoot. I've been practicing on the bowling pin range at a local club and Id like to sign up for the actual competitions. The only problem with regular glasses is they don't really cover peripheral vision and make it harder to sight in consecutive targets, which is really what BP shooting is all about. Cheap non script shooting glasses are even worse because the bend in the lenses just warps your peripheral. So, I'm wondering if prescription shooting glasses are worth it and if anyone has experience with them. My questions are price, effectiveness and where can I get them?

2. Remove Ads

Talk to your optician. Make sure to explain where you need your focus at (front sight) and you may have to have someone measure the distance between your eye and the front sight when you are in your shooting stance. I was lucky enough to find an optician that would do that for me. For competition shooting they are by all means worth it. For defensive shooting your normal prescription or just safety glasses are best since you may not even have your glasses in a self defense situation.

Don't risk your eye sight by not getting safety rated lenses for shooting.

As a side note, good quality non prescription shooting glasses do not distort in the curved part of the lens. Your optician can help you there too.,
    Bark'n likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Talk to your optician. Make sure to explain where you need your focus at (front sight) and you may have to have someone measure the distance between your eye and the front sight when you are in your shooting stance. I was lucky enough to find an optician that would do that for me. For competition shooting they are by all means worth it. For defensive shooting your normal prescription or just safety glasses are best since you may not even have your glasses in a self defense situation.

Don't risk your eye sight by not getting safety rated lenses for shooting.

As a side note, good quality non prescription shooting glasses do not distort in the curved part of the lens. Your optician can help you there too.,
    Thanks, how much did they end up costing, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    Thanks, how much did they end up costing, if you don't mind me asking?
    I did some bartering with mine but I believe it was going to be in the $400 to $500 range depending on brand and the standard array of options.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I did some bartering with mine but I believe it was going to be in the $400 to $500 range depending on brand and the standard array of options.
    That's what I thought. The hard part is not just buying a new gun with that money. Especially when first place is probably a free steak. I think it will be worth it though. I've gotten pretty good and feel ready to do some light competition

I think you can buy the side guards that slip over the arms.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    That's what I thought. The hard part is not just buying a new gun with that money. Especially when first place is probably a free steak. I think it will be worth it though. I've gotten pretty good and feel ready to do some light competition
    I just think of it as being cheaper than having to buy a seeing eye dog after a kaboom. $500 seems awful cheap when you consider the alternatives.

You'll get plenty of use out of them since you can wear them for plain old range days too.
    SayVandelay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I think you can buy the side guards that slip over the arms.
    Well I feel perfectly safe shooting in regular glasses. The concern is if I sign up for competition I won't have clear peripheral vision. A good high end pair of shooting glasses is the solution but for me that also means a prescription

VIP Member
    You will love safety prescription glasses , i have had a pair for 3 years or so and wear them even when working in the yard ,shooting and most anything else that stuff is flying around. They also have the side sheilds on them . Cost is 350.00 to 450.00 depending on style of frames.
    SayVandelay likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

I bought a pair of Ess glasses that allowed for the prescription insert to be mounted. It works well and was not crazy money
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I'll tell you the best solution to this that I've found (for me.)

I wear progressive lens prescription glasses (seemless bifocal) so here's what I did:
    I bought a set of glasses I wanted (EDC, if you will) and opted for the polycarbonate lenses (shatter proof) so they protect my eyes. (ANY glasses from an optomitrist will do for this.)
    Then, I got two pair of Eyenavision Chemistrie clips for these glasses made at the time I bought the new glasses, so all 6 lenses were cut together. One pair of clips are mirrored orange shades (like Oakley Iridium lenses) and the other is solid yellow (shooting) clips.

Chemistrie clips are magnetic clip-on shades that are cut to the exact size of your glasses, and clip to small magnets that are mounted on the stem mounts or edge of the lens. They offer a ton of colors to choose from.
    Here's a link:

Eyenavision Corporate - Gallery

hands down, the best solution, and coolest clip-ons I've ever found. Chemistrie has a FB page with a great image gallery, too.
    elmacgyver0 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

What about Oakley glasses with clear lenses? I know you can prescription lenses for their frames. Get them with clear lenses in frames that fit your face.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    GlassWolf, that is just cool as heck, never knew these existed.

Been goin' to the same eye doc for 20 years, we have both have a lot of the same interests including shooting and fire arms. As we get older we both have problems focusing on the front sight of carbine length rifles. We both agree that long guns and handguns are easier to shoot.

His answer.........There is nothing wrong with our eyes, we are just getting old.
    Thanks Doc
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

+1 on Oakley. Their prescription lenses are fantastic--clear, non-warped vision across the entire curve of the lens, safety rated for shooting. Plus if you qualify for Oakley Standard Issue pricing they're really reasonable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links