Oh Boy...New Flashlights!!

This is a discussion on Oh Boy...New Flashlights!! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess it's been about a year ago or longer that I bought 2 dozen Surefire CR123 batteries for my Surefire G2 LED from Battery ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Oh Boy...New Flashlights!!

Oh Boy...New Flashlights!!

I guess it's been about a year ago or longer that I bought 2 dozen Surefire CR123 batteries for my Surefire G2 LED from Battery Junction...and I just dropped in the last two a few days ago; so here I am out of batteries again.
    So I get this bright idea (no pun,lol) that I'll just pick up a battery charger and some rechargeable CR123's from Surefire and be done with it. I figure...Surefire light, Surefire batteries and charger...what could go wrong? Well as luck has it, they're sold out. Ok, now what...

I remembered here recently that not long ago I was at the LGS trying to find something to spend money on when I saw a display of Fenix flashlights. I know nothing about Fenix and long story short...I bought an LD12 which has been a pretty cool little light. It's smaller than what I normally carry but for a light that runs off of one AA it's surprisingly bright for being rated at 125 Lumens in Turbo and then 65,30 and 3 in the lowest mode. So anyway...I pull up the Fenix-store website and start digging around, and sure enough, they have 18650 batteries and chargers...and of course...new flashlights!

Now I realize that some of you use your EDC light for SD purposes as well as general utility, but for me...my EDC is what I use at work everyday and I have to illuminate whatever it is I'm looking at several different times every day, so I need a light that has some power and can keep a charge for a decent amount of time. That being said...the LD12 is a nice light but (1) AA isn't going to cut it for my uses.

So I'm digging around and find this...

The Fenix TK22

I find a package deal that has the light w/belt holster, (2) 18650 batteries and charger, (2) CR123's and free shipping.

Couple days and its at my doorstep. Charge the batteries...load up the light and hit the clicky...and...WOW!!!! 650 Lumens is pretty fricken bright!!!

More pics...

Now my trusty Surefire G2 isn't going anywhere. It's been my faithful sidekick for several years now, but I'm going to try out this Fenix TK22 for a while since it's blinding bright which fits into my work related tasks very well and it also has the rechargeable 18650's. So all you Fenix fans out there...I get it now.
    Cheesewiz and Drgnfly like this.

2. Remove Ads

What runtime of this flashlight?

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I love Battery Junction! You just can't hardly find better deals on high quality lights. The only problem I've had with their batteries are from the AA, AAA, 9v, etc in case lots. (Their batteries are a LOT cheaper! But, they seem to wear out a lot faster as well.)

-

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by winner View Post
    What runtime of this flashlight?
    Fenix TK22 Pressure Switch Bundle With 12pk Titanium CR123A Batteries

Specifications:
    LED: CREE XM-L LED U2
    Runs on: 1 x 18650 or 2 x CR123A batteries (Batteries not included)
    Output/runtime:
    Turbo: 650 Lumens/1.5 Hours
    High: 250 Lumens/4.5 Hours
    Medium: 75 Lumens/17 Hours
    Low: 7 Lumens/168 Hours
    Dimensions:
    Length: 5.79" (147 mm)
    Head Diameter: 1.57" (40 mm)
    Body Diameter: 1" (25.4 mm)
    Weight (w/o Batteries): 5.54oz (157g)

I love Fenix lights, I've had three of them. My first "tactical" light was a Surefire G2, but at 60Lumens it is now an antique that sits in the kitchen junk drawer. I like keychain lights and used a Fenix PD01 for abotu 5 years before it finally died. I replaced it with a Fenix E15. My tactical/bedside light is Fenix TK12. The TK 22 looks really nice though, I may need to pick one up. The one application for which I would still shell out for a Surefire is for a weapon mounted light. They test the hell out them for how well they handle recoil and I would trust them more as a weapon mounted light than I would a Fenix

I have a couple PD 20's in two different variations, and they're very bright and durable lights

I also have a couple Surefire's and Streamlights and the Fenix lights run right with them.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Nice pickup! I have a fenix LD10 and it is way brighter than I need it to be (which I like!) and runs on AA batteries, which I always have available, so I prefer that. But you can't have too many flashlights, so I might check that one out next.
    jbum likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    OP nice pick up I have 6 Fenix lights and that is all I carry. Only problem I ever had was with a pd10 I dropped from a roof on to concrete sent it back and was fixed in 2 weeks.

This flashlight as it turns out is WAY more than I actually need...but I'm a believer in the old saying that it's "better to have and not need than need and not have."

So far the 75 Lumens (medium setting) has been all that I have actually needed, but just for fun, I have kicked it up to Turbo a few times in some rather dark areas and it'll darn sure make you squint as it's a really blinding white light. All in all...i'm really happy with it. It's very well made and what I like the most other than the different brightness modes, is the size. It isn't really 'small' by any means, so I don't have to worry about getting a case of butter fingers and dropping it down a shaft or some other area of no return...as it fits my hand well and I can get a good grip on it.

I tried carrying the LD12 on my days off by just sliding it on my belt and it's so small that I forgot I had it on. It's a great little light in its own right and for what I would use it for (general purposes) it works well.

I bought a Fennix PD 32 and liked it until it died a few months later. I sent away for service and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it so they sent it back with two new batteries. It still didn't work so they sent me a new one. In the meantime I bought a Surefire PX2 Fury Defender and I am happy with it so far.
    p2x-defender.png
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

You should really try some of the other brands out there like the Fenix. I have a Sunnywayman TCS 40 that has unbelievable throw. I also use a Olight T 25 that uses two AA batteries and
    I have a EagleTac PN20a2 that uses 2 AAA's. They are all very good lights. As far as tactical lights go you should run your on test. I think you would be surprised at how well these bands
    would hold up on your weapons. Take time to watch some of GoingGear's reviews of flashlights on utube. He does a really good job of reviewing.

Looks good.

I use a sunwayman c20c I believe. Great little flashlight.

Was using it today in my friend's parking garage, changing the rear diffuser on his 1series. Had the light running solid for a good 45 mins. Worked great, but the body of the light was so hot... almost to the point of really burning our hands.

Distinguished Member
    Where's the best price place for this light. 1*
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Administrator
    The newest FENIX headlamp is on my Priority Want list.
    It's very well thought out with LOTS of available runtime hours on its lowest brightness setting which is where I would mostly have it for night camping.
    But, nice to a a super bright head lamp light for a possible nighttime emergency.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for specifications!

Searched a good headlamp and found at another forum discussion about Armytek Wizard. According to the discussion it will be a good headlamp, hehe
    Its specifications:

Powerful Cree XM-L2 LED
    1010 lumens of light
    Beam distance 70 meters
    Extremely bright headlamp on one 18650 Li-Ion battery
    Compact size and small weight
    Multi-color LED indication
    Programmable settings to fit your needs
    Ergonomic design for comfortable use
    Side switch for easy operation
    TIR 70°:120°

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast