Dressing Around a Gun

Dressing Around a Gun

This is a discussion on Dressing Around a Gun within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At this point in my life, I refuse to dress around a gun. Yes, if I did dress around a gun, I could carry a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dressing Around a Gun

Dressing Around a Gun

At this point in my life, I refuse to dress around a gun. Yes, if I did dress around a gun, I could carry a .50 AE, but oh well. However, I do buy shirts 1 size too big, and pants 2" too big in the waist. Not to dress around a gun, but to be able to carry and still be comfortable. Now, I'm not gonna do any in depth reviews, but I do have a couple of things I'd like to point out. I live in a very humid climate that has 2 seasons: Hot and cold. Humidity isn't everything, but it does play a key factor. There's only 2 good months here, and that's April and October. The humidity makes it very hot in the summer, and very cold in the winter. 10 degrees with no wind and no humidity in the west was nothing compared to 40 degrees with no wind, but with humidity here. Same goes with heat. 100 degrees in the shade with a breeze isn't that bad without humidity, but with humidity, 90 degrees, breeze or no breeze, is terrible.

Toff Tech Short | Koppen Outdoor

Chaps Plaid Casual Button-Down Shirt

This may be old news to you all, but I recently discovered these things. Those shorts are water proof, have a gazillion pockets, but don't look like a mall ninja uniform. And those shirts are so light, and thin... They're better than t-shirts, IMO. Like I said, I may be showing you guys something you already know about, but I've recently stumbled upon these, and I'm hooked. Wearing clothes like this in the summer time is the first time I've been able to completely conceal, and be completely comfortable. I'm hooked. Hope this benefits somebody!
    Something witty

Quote Originally Posted by chief8991 View Post
    At this point in my life, I refuse to dress around a gun.

Not to dress around a gun, but to be able to carry and still be comfortable. Now, I'm not gonna do any in depth reviews, but I do have a couple of things I'd like to point out.
    That's what dressing around carrying is all about, making accommodations in our purchases to allow better utility and comfort while carrying. Call it what you will, but purchasing a +1 sizing or having fitment altered afterwards is dressing around a gun. Frankly, anyone who strives hard to conceal discreetly but cannot achieve it with the current wardrobe does this to some extent, whether by altering covering garments or clothing selections, or acquiring different clothes, or having alterations made.

Wearing clothes like this in the summer time is the first time I've been able to completely conceal, and be completely comfortable. I'm hooked. Hope this benefits somebody!
    Yup. Some clothing can work wonders, for being better able to deal with concealed arms.

I have found much the same thing. Certain cuts, certain patterns, generally +1 sizing, the right covering garment combinations. Everyone's different, so many of these choices that work for one person won't work for another. But some of them do work for others.

That Toff Tech Short looks very similar to the style/cut of the 7-Pocket Hiker Shorts @ Cabela's. The 7-pkt ones aren't made of a SPF material, but they are a great fit for carrying, have lots of pockets, don't look like many other uber-cargo styles. Wish they'd not changed the style about ~5yrs ago, and wish they came in black, but otherwise a great pair of shorts/pants.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I guess I do dress around a gun to an extent, but I'm not about to go any more sizes bigger, wear a vest, or wear a button up shirt unbuttoned, just to carry OWB. Or ever wear a fanny pack... nope.
    MJB_17 likes this.
    Something witty

Aside from the obvious, one of the best things I've found is banded-bottom shirts. You can get them online from a variety of vendors or Sears has them from David Taylor. They are a IWB carrier's dream. I also have a tuckable for regular shirts and can make that work really well but, for ease of draw and overall comfort, nothing beats my banded-bottom shirts.

Chief? How deep are the front pockets! I pocket carry a lot. I have had to add deeper pockets to some pants. I live in the central valley of CA and our weather sounds much like yours. Our two seasons are Fog and Hot! DR

VIP Member
    I usually carry an M&P .357sigC 90% of the time IWB in a De Santis cozy partner, and I went a size bigger for dress shirts as well as Tee shirts. As for pant, I stayed with the same size on Blue jeans, dress pants are hit or miss, and have found that cargo shorts, a bit bigger than needed will conceal even a bigger pistol if I had to.
    Sometimes a S&W .38 snub of some configuration fills in .

I can even carry a snub in my swim suit around the house when its hot, riding the zero steer or doing chores and the like.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Chief? How deep are the front pockets! I pocket carry a lot. I have had to add deeper pockets to some pants. I live in the central valley of CA and our weather sounds much like yours. Our two seasons are Fog and Hot! DR
    An LCR is an easy fit!
    Something witty

I am of the same school of thought as the OP, at first when I started CCing I went out and bought a bunch of clothes oriented on carrying my M&P9c. I soon realized that a lot of the "tactical" and "concealed carry" style clothing out there really isn't my style and when I would dress in those clothes I would not 'blend in' well in my normal everyday life. I work in a corporate environment, I live in an upscale urban area, the weather is hot 70% of the year etc. The 5.11 pants, 1.75" belt and all that kind of stuff is fine for the range and training classes but for me in daily life it really doesn't work. I decided a few months ago that I will not dress around a gun, I will choose my guns to suit my manner of dress and lifestyle.

Right now, I am in shorts and bathing suits a lot, I am looking into getting a pocket carry pistol (probably LCP) for the convenience factor so I can still carry even I may not be wearing a belt.

As an aside, has anyone tried one of the 5.11 Holster Shirts? I saw them at Bass Pro the other day, they're like $80 for this padded shirt with these huge pockets on the sides of it, the thing looks horribly uncomfortable and impractical IMO.

I just got my cc and found myself buying new clothes this last weekend. My issue with my old wardrobe was that it was a lot of Fox and Hurley shirts, which run shorter so its either I wear a tent, or when I raise my arms shoulder level I expose my weapon. So I guess I am the definition of dressing around my weapon since as far as shirts go, I completely changed the style that I wear on a day to day basis... With pand and shorts I was able to keep the style, just bougt them an inch bigger in the waist.
    SGT, USA
    Combat Engineer
    NRA LoD Member

"Fear is like having faith in the enemy"

IMO, I don't think the 5.11 or other shirts "made" for cc are worth the money. Anyone who goes to a gunstore once or twice will know it for what it is and if they are a bg, can (not necessarily will) know that you are carrying and possibly target you first with element of suprise.
    SGT, USA
    Combat Engineer
    NRA LoD Member

Quote Originally Posted by mgillitzer View Post
    I just got my cc and found myself buying new clothes this last weekend. My issue with my old wardrobe was that it was a lot of Fox and Hurley shirts, which run shorter so its either I wear a tent, or when I raise my arms shoulder level I expose my weapon.
    I've worn XT (tall) shirts for years, just because of this. Lots of activities have the arms up and about, and the Tall variety of shirts can make a real difference. In some styles, it's not a relevant change, but in many styles there can be 3-4" extra material around the sides and back. Golf shirts come to mind, along these lines. Normal sizing (meaning, you're not buying a "tent"), but decently extra-tall. Works well.

I carry a SW40ve daily. Not the hugest of guns but not the smallest either. I dont upsize anything for IWB except I tend to get xl tshirts instead of large. And I guess because im on a motorcycle 90 percent of the time in summer with a leather vest on that tends to make it easier for me also. But if the vest comes off I just pull out the tail of the t shirt and im good to go.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I've worn XT (tall) shirts for years, just because of this. Lots of activities have the arms up and about, and the Tall variety of shirts can make a real difference. In some styles, it's not a relevant change, but in many styles there can be 3-4" extra material around the sides and back. Golf shirts come to mind, along these lines. Normal sizing (meaning, you're not buying a "tent"), but decently extra-tall. Works well.
    Golf shirts are exactly what I started buying to solve the issue. Plus it's a bonus that I am trying to pick up golf as a hobby...
    SGT, USA
    Combat Engineer
    NRA LoD Member

Quote Originally Posted by mgillitzer View Post
    Golf shirts are exactly what I started buying to solve the issue. Plus it's a bonus that I am trying to pick up golf as a hobby...
    Oooh, you are a glutton for punishment.

"Golf" shirts are nicely designed with the extra material around the midsection and extra height to support the additional range of motion golf demands. But in my experience they tend to work equally well for carry. The ones I've typically worn have an extra girth that deals with a IWB/OWB handgun on the belt well; handles the added movements one might do for draw/reholstering; and has added length to avoid the shirt pulling out of the pants. Great clothing choice, IMO.

I wear Wrangler loose fit jeans in my regular size and wear un-tucked polo shirts or bowling (Charlie Sheen) shirts one size larger. I pocket carry a Springfield XDS-45 and a spare magazine and carry a five inch 1911 and spare magazine OWB. I did carry my Desert Eagle 50 AE and two spare magazines one full day at work to win a bet with a LEO friend who said it couldn't be done. I was around senior LEOs all day and no one noticed I was carrying my Desert Eagle until I showed them at the end of the day.
    mgillitzer and NitroMustang like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links