Gun safe built into home?

This is a discussion on Gun safe built into home? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of remodeling a house where I intend to spend the rest of my life. I am giving serious thought to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gun safe built into home?

I am in the process of remodeling a house where I intend to spend the rest of my life. I am giving serious thought to turning a closet into a gun safe or building one inside a larger closet. It would need to hold about 20 long guns plus hand guns. The actual fabrication is not a problem, between me and my carpenter we have the skills to build about anything. I was hoping someone here had done something like this before and could give some ideas. I am currently leaning towards lining a small closet with metal and some kind of reinforced door that will appear to be a standard wood door from the outside.

Any ideas or photos would be appreciated.
    Thanks, pig

VIP Member
    I haven't done it yet, but I've always had basements (you'll never go back once you've had one). My next house will be the last, and I'll surround the safe room with rebar-reinforced concrete that is built around the safe's door frame. Also by having it concrete-encased in the basement, I'm hoping to fire-proof it. I'm envisioning a bit of a man-cave where I'll have room to mount my favorites on the walls.

This should be a fun project for you. I know that I'm looking forward to it!
    NONAME762 likes this.

I just remodeled a room in my house. I built a big closet around my 60 gun safe. I installed heavy doors on the front with an electronic dead bolt. Even if they gain access to the closet they then have to try and breach the safe.

Welcome! I'd say, don't forget to fireproof it. One of the big advantages of a "standard" safe is a good fire rating (45 minutes at 1200 degrees, etc). I imagine layering furnace brick between two layers of heavy steel would probably do the trick.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    My cousin and her husband incorporated a " SAFE ROOM " into their new house in Texas. Concrete/steel locked into the foundation. Guns, jewelry and storm protection.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by Pig View Post
    The actual fabrication is not a problem, between me and my carpenter we have the skills to build about anything. I was hoping someone here had done something like this before and could give some ideas. I am currently leaning towards lining a small closet with metal and some kind of reinforced door that will appear to be a standard wood door from the outside.
    There were numerous buildings/bunkers built in Germany in the late 1930's and early 1940's that withstood repeated 500-1000 lb bomb drops. Stout structural, reinforced concrete can work wonders.

There are also a number of "engineered wall" companies in the market, making stuff designed to withstand F5 tornadoes, bombs, etc. If you're otherwise unable to build such walls yourself, this sort of engineered alternative might be an option. Such as ... Hardened Shelters.

Another alternative is, if your home layout supports this, to transform your M.BR into a "safe" room of sorts. Particularly if the one room is all you'd need to secure (ie, kids are long gone), it might be the overall best mix of benefits. Needn't necessarily be completely capable against blast, gas and the like. But it some simple "safe" room build elements can dramatically raise the difficulty of getting into that room. Tougher/steel "security" doors, hardened panels/webbing in the walls, BP windows, a simple safe inside that room, secure comms, etc.
    Rock and Glock and Caertaker like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There was a similar post a month or two back. Many had posted comments. I am a building contractor and have been reading a lot over the past two years about storm shelters. Google FEMA Storm Shelters. They have prescriptives for shelters.

You can build out of wood, or concrete/concrete filled CMU. Lots of choices to fit different budgets/skills.

As for doors, you can buy vault doors from safe companies, or build your own fortified doors. Again, options are there for budget/skills. Econo door would be 1-3/4" thick door with reinforced jambs. You can have 1/4" steel jambs made, then trim with wood so it looks like a closet door. Remove one screw from each hinge and drive. 1/4" steel rod. The hinge hole on the door needs to be drilled to accept it as well.

Hope you show us what you end up doing!

Built in home safe

My parents recently built a new home and my father wanted to move away from his regular gun safe. While discussing the blueprints and layouts of the house, my dad asked if things could be moved to create a room to serve as a safe. The room is not huge by any means, but it looks amazing. Hopefully the pictures work and give you an idea of what he did. The inside is not yet finished, but will house all of his hunting rifles and shotguns. Best of luck in your endeavors and if you have any questions let me know!photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

VIP Member
    I have helped in providing steel and hardware for that very thing . I would love to do it myself but i have no room to do it. A customer of mine had a whole bedroom as a gun room i provided a steel door and frame that was in back or the wood door. So if you walked around the house you would never think other then it was a closed door to a bedroom. This guy had his guns layed out like a museum type display . Also had a work bench to cleam them . Cool Stuff.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I saw a thread on AR-15.com a while back where a guy reinforced the existing walls of a closet with rebar going horizontally through the studs, attached expanded metal mesh across the whole thing on the outside, and filled between all the studs with expanding foam. He finished it off with drywall to make it look like any other wall and improve it's fire-rating.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Your_Shrink View Post
    ....... Best of luck in your endeavors and if you have any questions let me know!photo 1.jpg
    Must be kind of hard to lift that door, isn't it????

-
    Crashoften likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Must be kind of hard to lift that door, isn't it????

-
    He said that the door was definitely heavy, but much less than the full safe that he previously owned. The manufacturers installed the door, so beyond helping them lift it down the stairs he did nothing but watch them work their magic!

VIP Member
    IDK Bo-Diddley about doing this, but here are some ideas I've come across

Underground Gun Vault Room,Hidden Gun Safe,Gun Vault Design,Below Ground Gun Vault

Safe Rooms,Gun Vaults, Modular Vault, Security Rooms, Safe Room Doors

The Walk-In Gun Safe Is Finished! | 3 acres & 3000 square feet

Good luck.

One day I would like to put up something like this as things are getting crowded around here.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Fireproof it Pig!!!
    IMO= if you can go underground do it (ie, into the walls of your basement)

Best of luck...
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Keep in mind your ammo. also. I bought a safe never thought about ammo. lol Wife was not happy when I bought another safe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links