Light Rail Mounted Mace/Pepper Spray

This is a discussion on Light Rail Mounted Mace/Pepper Spray within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever seen a pepper spray device made to be mounted on the light rail of a gun? I was thinking - if you ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dabster

Thread: Light Rail Mounted Mace/Pepper Spray

VIP Member

Light Rail Mounted Mace/Pepper Spray

Has anyone ever seen a pepper spray device made to be mounted on the light rail of a gun?

I was thinking - if you want to use a non-lethal spray alternative, and use the spray first and it does not work, you may not have time to draw your weapon before you are grappled or stabbed. What if you have a small canister of spray that was packaged to attach to the light rail, with an actuation switch that would be in reach of your trigger finger if you index the trigger guard? The combination of spray and a drawn gun would reduce the risk to a defender if the defender wants to try a non-lethal alternative first (who wouldn't want to make the guy run away or fall down without firing a shot?). If the spray does not work and the bad guy advances or takes other offensive steps, then you would rely on the gun as the last resort.

I searched for such a contraption but could not find it.

Any thoughts on this? Tactically a bad idea? I would much rather have an "second to last" resort to end an attack before resorting to my "last resort."

(Of course, if the other guy has a gun, then one might go to the last resort first)
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

2. Remove Ads

Points for creativity but it violates Rule #2.
    perfection likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a pepper spray device made to be mounted on the light rail of a gun?

I was thinking - if you want to use a non-lethal spray alternative, and use the spray first and it does not work, you may not have time to draw your weapon before you are grappled or stabbed. What if you have a small canister of spray that was packaged to attach to the light rail, with an actuation switch that would be in reach of your trigger finger if you index the trigger guard? The combination of spray and a drawn gun would reduce the risk to a defender if the defender wants to try a non-lethal alternative first (who wouldn't want to make the guy run away or fall down without firing a shot?). If the spray does not work and the bad guy advances or takes other offensive steps, then you would rely on the gun as the last resort.

I searched for such a contraption but could not find it.

Any thoughts on this? Tactically a bad idea? I would much rather have an "second to last" resort to end an attack before resorting to my "last resort."

(Of course, if the other guy has a gun, then one might go to the last resort first)
    If it's on the gun, then presumably the gun is pointed at the individual while they are being pepper sprayed. This presents all kinds of problems. If the situation did not require lethal force, then why are you pointing a loaded firearm in their face?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabster View Post
    Points for creativity but it violates Rule #2.
    That is the tension....but if I feel I can use deadly force it would still be an option to avoid doing so... It would not be a substitute for a "spray only" situation
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    If it's on the gun, then presumably the gun is pointed at the individual while they are being pepper sprayed. This presents all kinds of problems. If the situation did not require lethal force, then why are you pointing a loaded firearm in their face?
    I think this may be the best good idea that quickly turned into a bad idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rule #2 doesn't apply to a bg in a defensive situation. My concern would be the pointing of the weapon along with discharge of something from the muzzle. In the sensory craziness of such a situation, it's conceivable that the bg could think you're firing a shot. If he's not incapacitated, this can have two negative effects:

1. He thinks you fired and missed, decides it's you or him, and attacks.
    2. He attacks and kills or injures you; at trial he CLAIMS he thought you fired at him, and potentially convinces a jury that he attacked in self-defense.

I believe the second-to last resort is attempting to hold the bg at gunpoint. If, for whatever reason, he's not deterred by a gun aimed at him, you're likely past the point of pepper spray.

It's an interesting idea, though. There may be ways around this problem.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Interesting. Light, to free up hands; Spray, to free up hands; then firearm, if necessary beyond light/spray. Might be useful.

But then, as suggested by others (above), there are a number of risky aspects. Pointing a deadly weapon at a person is still what it is, and it'll be perceived that way (by witnesses as well), even if less-than-lethal is going to be employed.

Myself, I'd rather have the firearm in the strong-side holster, the spray on weak-side. Drawing one can be done independently, or simultaneously, but presentation of the one needn't threaten use of the other (or be seen that way by anyone).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links