Survival Bug Out Bag COMPACT FISHING KIT Questions

This is a discussion on Survival Bug Out Bag COMPACT FISHING KIT Questions within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FISHING FOR SOME ANSWERS <@)DDDD< <~~~ That does not look very much like a fish but, use your imagination. So being as I am not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Survival Bug Out Bag COMPACT FISHING KIT Questions

Administrator

Question Survival Bug Out Bag COMPACT FISHING KIT Questions

FISHING FOR SOME ANSWERS <@)DDDD< <~~~ That does not look very much like a fish but, use your imagination.

So being as I am not a fisherman and the only "bites" that I ever seem to get on a very few of my past fishing excursions would be a lot of mosquito bites.

What exactly would you include in a highly compact Bug Out Bag Survival type kit with Weight and extreme compactness being of primary importance?

Try to be specific since I intend to buy items based on your suggestions.

Or if you know of a small set-up that is already prepackaged I would consider purchasing that.

I know that we have a lot of fishing folks here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Just how small do you want to go? You can wind a lot of line on a small piece of cardboard or a sewing bobbin and spiderwire is always a good choice. You can use sticks on the shore for bobbers. If you fold the cardboard in half before wrapping the line around it, you can slip a bunch of hooks in the middle of the cardboard so they don't punch holes in other stuff. I've heard the Mepp's small spoon with red and white stripes is a fairly universal fish catcher. Don't forget a sharpener. You can catch more big fish on small hooks than vice versa. It'd probably be a good investment of time to learn how to make a fish trap - I got one for minnows for bait and was amazed how quick it worked and they don't have to be tended like a line.

ETA: check out gill nets and speed hooks - may not be legal in normal situations so check your local laws.

You'll find some good info here... Survival Fishing Gear Kits

A good skill to learn is setting fish traps. Most wilderness survival books usually have a section that covers this. You could also check out some of the youtube videos.

Get some yo-yos so that you can catch fish while you are doing other important things.

As far as a basic fishing kit goes, some line and some hooks is the bare minimum that you will want since you can make a pole and you can use wood for floats and rocks or other heavy objects for weights.

In one of my bags I have a protocol telescoping rod with reel and line (found it a Kohl's Protocol Telescopic Fishing Set ). In another bag I have a small rod (2 foot...purchased at Academy Sports & Outdoors Academy - Master Mity Might 2' UL Freshwater Spinning Rod and Reel Combo ) with reel and line. Each bag has a variety of hooks based on the types of fish that are common in the areas I would be fishing in, spool of fishing line (50 lbs. test...can use for things other than fishing...FYI the spool fits perfectly inside of a roll of duct tape), folding net (similar to this one Fabrill Folding Net - Walmart.com ), an assortment of weights, floats, and a few lures.

F.Y.I. Walmart sells a variety of small translucent plastic tackle box starter sets for around $7 to $15 they are usually kept on the bottom shelf Eagle Claw "Fish Green" Fresh Water Tackle Kit: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com If memory serves I also got my folding net from Walmart I think it was either $19 or $24.
    Tzadik likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    You can't afford to be "fishing" in a survival situation. You need to be catching.

Forget all standard fishing gear (unless its a 4 pc, 5wt fly rod for bluegill). Got to Wallyworld and buy a trot-line. For $10 you can get a 100 ft line with 25 clips and hooks in a package about twice the size of a billfold in a ziplock.

It's one thing to laze around fishing, but if you need to survive the name of the game is to expend as little energy as possible for the maximum return. A trot-line is like having 25 poles in the water, and the clips can double on jugs for float fishing if necessary. You're also going to be targeting the bigger fish, which is more protein and more sustainable if you stay in one spot for a long time.

In addition to the trot-line I'd have at least 25 snares/cable restraints. They cost very little if you make them with materials from an online shop like The Snare Shop. Like the trot-line, the idea is to have as many traps/devices hunting for you as possible so you can do other things or conserve your energy.

As is true with almost anything prepper related, your typical Ozark hillbilly has been living this way as a matter of course for far longer than anyone who uses the term "prepper" or "bug out" could imagine. If you want to know how to live off the land in case the SHTF, then watch those who do it as normal way of life...
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

My kit includes hooks ( go small here to catch panfish), 10lb line, swivels, clips, and two bobbers.

With this set up I can either make a trout line , or throw an individual line.

I look at fish as an extra food item.

My 22 rimfire wil be the real game getter.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I agree with the yo-yo idea.

I saw some guys fishing one day and all they had was a hook, small lead weight, some monofilament line and it was wound around a beer can. They could actually "cast" the line pretty darned good. "Reel" it back in by winding it back up on the beer can.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I would suggest a back packing rod and reell combo. Don't go cheap. It was a long time after Katrina before the stores could use their cooler for food. They had to be inspected due to being without power for so long with food in them. My daughter who was in her mid 20s at the time caught all the fresh fish we could want from my lake.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If $ isn't too tight, buy a braided fishing line. I have used Spiderwire for years and it has never once broke on me. I have 30lb line on my reels; it is the same diameter as 8lb (I think, it is somewhere in that ballpark).

When keeping the fish really matters, you don't want your line to snap.
    HotGuns likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Pen Rod Extreme
    I keep on of these (spinning reel and rod) in all my vehicles and bug out bags with a small container of hooks, sinkers, floats and a few artificial lures. They work great and are really small I often stop by the lake on my way home and fish for an hour or so just to wind down. You can find them on eBay cheaper but I don't know if they are the same quality as these.
    Bark'n and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Pen Rod Extreme
    I keep on of these (spinning reel and rod) in all my vehicles and bug out bags with a small container of hooks, sinkers, floats and a few artificial lures. They work great and are really small I often stop by the lake on my way home and fish for an hour or so just to wind down. You can find them on eBay cheaper but I don't know if they are the same quality as these.
    How much line does the reel hold, and how strong is the pole, just curious?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    How much line does the reel hold, and how strong is the pole, just curious?
    Around a hundred yards or so I keep 6# test on mine.

AMAZING TINY PEN fishing rod deep sea with Penfishingrods.com - YouTube

Check out the tube there are a bunch of videos with people catching a bunch of good sized fish. I caught a carp that was between 10 to 15 pounds...took a while but the rod held up just fine that has been my biggest so far. YMMV
    Bark'n and Badey like this.

1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    If worst comes to be try a good size rock stuns the fish if you can see them, also make a spear out of a tree branch. other ideas send 3.99 thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Pen Rod Extreme
    This is the way to go. I have the Goliath model and love it. I got mine this spring and have caught dozens of pond fish. I have personally never caught anything over 3lb but I have no doubt that the rod will handle bigger fish if you do your part. I enjoy ultralight fishing and this is my go-to set up.

You can make a pole out of just about any long straight limb, Canes work great. I have cut many as a kid to fish with. Fishing odds like any other skill you must learn it and use it to be good at it.
    I went bream fishing just this past couple of days. I caught 8 the first day plus one small cat fish. The second day I caught 12 the next day and 2 more cat fish all on a fly rod. These were not good days for fishing. They did not bite good. About 3 hours fishing time each day. An I fish a lot. Just to give you a idea how it would be to have to live on what you catch.
    You can also crush walnuts or hickory nuts and put them in a burlap shack and dip in on the water around where you think there are fish they will float to the top. It removes the oxygen from the water. The u.s. army survival manual tells you how to do this. You can down load of for free on the internet. If you can not find it send me a pm and I will send you a copy.
    Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links