Green Dot or Not

Green Dot or Not

This is a discussion on Green Dot or Not within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently got a 1911 Commander W/rail and Im trying to decide if I should utilize the rail for a laser. Im new to hand guns, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Old_Dog
  • 1 Post By 5lima30ret

Thread: Green Dot or Not

Green Dot or Not

Recently got a 1911 Commander W/rail and Im trying to decide if I should utilize the rail for a laser. Im new to hand guns, and I wanted to get you'alls opinions. Jim

Distinguished Member
    I would not spend my money on a green dot right now. They are more expensive and require more power to operate. Their biggest advantage is that they are brighter in daylight at further distances. If you have some mental image of a gunfight at 50 yards then a green laser is just the ticket. If you plan on using it at closer distances, a red dot will do just fine. The trouble that most inexperienced shooters will face is that they will adjust their red dot for shooting at the range, usually for 7 yards, and not consider that the point of aim will be different the further out they go. That is easy to see if you draw two parallel lines that converge in the middle of a piece of paper and then see how they spread after that. For distance shooting, iron sights are best in my opinion. Lasers are more for quick from the hip shooting at close quarters. I know a few shooters who can't shoot worth salt without their lasers. I would not call myself a shooter if that were the case.
    vilecanards likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Is this a carry gun or range gun? If a carry gun I would keep it simple and stay with iron sights that are high visibility. OTOH if it is a range toy get what ever you prefer. Having carried a firearm in harms way for almost 30 years I can tell you that when you need it, Mr. Murphy WILL be with you! Mr. Murphy loves and thrives on electronics and technology!
    vilecanards likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Lasers have there use. But also lasers can also be a downfall. remember when on, You stick out like a sore thumb. easy target.

Links