How to select night sights

This is a discussion on How to select night sights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I assume just like with everything else, night sites are about preference. Is there anything I should consider when looking for night sites? Im looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to select night sights

How to select night sights

I assume just like with everything else, night sites are about preference. Is there anything I should consider when looking for night sites? Im looking for a set for my Glock 19.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Night sights are no good after the first shot. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Night sights are no good after the first shot. Just sayin'...
    Just curious, but why is that? I've been considering them myself for my 1911.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Probably referring to shooting in the dark, the flash kind of kills your vision.

The flash from your first shot will ruin your night vision. On the other hand, placement of that first shot is pretty important.
    --If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin’.

As with many people, my night vision appears to vary with the color of sights, size of sights. And, yes, with bright flashes, subsequently picking out tiny and dim specs of light (on night sights) can be rough for many people.

I've gotten night sights on a couple of sidearms, previously. My choice is based on which color combinations seem to work best for me in dark. As I am getting older, I'm recognizing that larger/bolder sights seem to be more-visible under those same conditions. About the best analogy to muzzle flash that I can produce is a flashlight on strobe, and even with that I'm able to still pick out larger/brighter sights. (Keep in mind, you know basically where your hands are, that they're squared in front of your face, at arms length, so it's not that hard to know [basically] where your gun is pointing. What I'm thinking here is the basic isosceles stance, crush grip methods in Ayoob's Stressfire.)

You should definitely play around with sights of varying colors, sizes/intensities. They're not all the same, for all people. You might well find that larger, brighter sights of certain colors are best, given your eyesight.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    To be serious, a [----o style is the bestm, IMO, but you want to be careful about having 'Sight snag'. You want something that gives the right cue, but doesn't distract your focus off the far target.

As to night blindness, here's a situation where you might want to close one eye and get two good shots using the sights.

Orange or green seem to show up the best. A larger front dot helps get the front sight up on target, possibly. Some models only have one option.

For me, there were a few considerations...

First, I wanted sights that were good in lighted and low light conditions as well as darkened conditions. Ideally fast to acquire day and night.

Next, I prefer a relatively small amount of daylight - eg front blade fills a majority of rear sight gap. And I wanted a relatively deep rear sight to aid in sight acquisition.

I wanted strong vertical as well as horizontal alignment (3 dot over i-dot tritium), which also ruled out the "big dot" sights that lack a strong top of blade alignment mechanism.

Finally, I wanted different color front and rear tritium to allow 100% clarity of point of aim in lower light (eg not rely solely on muscle memory).

I opted for Ameriglo Spartans with green / yellow tritium and orange front blade for my g26. Really pleased with sight picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

XS Big Dot if you want BIG. Large front dot (smaller one also available) with a straight line in rear (imagine dotting the 'i' with the front dot over the rear vertical line). I like mine very much, although I chose to use just the front sight and standard Glock rear.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I'm not smart enough to be able to tell someone what they should or shouldn't get.Everyone is different.I have a set of trijicon night sights on my GL19,and they work fine for me.That said,a friend of mine has the meprolight's on his,and likes those.Each to their own.

Trijicon high vis worked well on my g17 but I love the big dot on my snubs for fast acqusition for close up work

I have adjustable Meprolights on my G-19 in white. I have used them in low light at the range indoors and they are fine. A couple of months ago I did one of my Quarterly Drills on a 360 degree range out of doors with no moon or outside lighting, just a dim glow over the horizon. I had to use a flashlight to insure safety where I was shooting. Fired off two rounds with no issues as there was barely a little red glow from the barrel. I tested Cor-Bon DPX +P and Winchester Ranger T +P+. No flash just a small red glow from the end of the barrel. I was impressed and could still see the 3 dots.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Sometimes I believe that night sights (like so many other "must haves") are akin to fishing lures. There's a lot of them out there that are better at catching fisherman than catching... fish.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I've had both Meprolights and Trijicons. Both are good and I doubt you would wrong with either. Pick the ones you like the best and roll with it! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Just my experience... Mixing colors is sometimes a bad thing. For example I installed Meprolight sights on a SA XD40. I thought that a green front with orange rear sounded like the thing to do. Well I was badly mistaken. The lower color region sights, such as orange, is nearly impossible to see. Yes, they glow but so dimly it is mostly useless. In retrospect all green or red-green would have been a much better choice.
    To add insult to injury I read later on that orange sights do not glow too brightly to begin with. I can't afford to change so I am stuck with what I have - like it or not.

My best,
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links