rifle mounted light

This is a discussion on rifle mounted light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My AR-15 had a leapers UTG light mounted on it and I recently bought a tapco stock for my 10-22 so I could mount a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DefConGun

Thread: rifle mounted light

rifle mounted light

My AR-15 had a leapers UTG light mounted on it and I recently bought a tapco stock for my 10-22 so I could mount a light on it, so the UTG is going to that gun, which puts me in the market for a new light for the AR. I have narrowed it down to a surefire g2x tactical and a streamlight hl600. The streamlight is $20 cheaper and puts out a lot more light than the surefire but I also know surefire has a great reputation and has been largely synonymous with the firearms community. Does anyone have experience regarding either of these lights? any other options I should consider?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    If I may add a word of caution, on lights and lasers, They can help you but also kill you. They make a dandy target for incoming fire. My 2 cents.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    If price isn't the most important criteria, then you might consider an Elzetta ZFL-M60 CS2D. They're a little pricey but they are well built. There's all kinds of videos on the net where people try to tear them up and they keep working; people hammer nails into boards with them, shoot them with shotguns and drop them out of helicopters (Top Shot Champ Dustin Ellerman did this) and they keep going on.

rugerdude12 and wishyouwell like this.

That's why I want something with a pressure switch
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Sorry I meant a tactical switch with the momentary on/off

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Streamlights quality to cost ratio is better than Surefire's in my limited opinion. Just realize that both lights are technically hand held lights, not necessarily designed for use with recoil. Streamlights handheld options don't have a spring in the tailcap designed to handle heavy duty recoil, its designed to work reliably in the hand, and as such a lot of Streamlight handheld options will flicker when shot because the connection separates due to the tail cap spring not being able to keep the batteries forward. With that said, I still think Streamlight lights are of great quality, and their handheld options can be used as a tac light, just be aware of their limitations.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    If I may add a word of caution, on lights and lasers, They can help you but also kill you. They make a dandy target for incoming fire. My 2 cents.
    So the correct course of action is to know when and how to use them....not just walk around with lights and lasers blazing. There is a reason nearly every rifle used by military personnel that fight bad guys for a living is equipped with lights and lasers. If trained to use them properly they can do wonders to give you an edge in low/no light situations. On the flip side, like you said, negligence and "accidental discharges" with lights or lasers can give your position away at a very unfortunate time.

As said above, the Streamlight isn't a weapon mounted light, it most likely will flicker when fired. The Surefire isn't really a weapon mounted light either, but it will do better than the streamlight. The issue with the Surefire is that you risk battery failure. There isn't a front spring, so you can slam the batteries into the front of the light and they can crack. With a AR-15, this is unlikely, but I thought it worth noting.

The $20 cost difference is basically USA vs China manufacturing, The Protac lights are all made in China where the Surefire is USA made. The SF is a little better built light because of this.

If you like having a remote switch, my personal favorite set up is the Fenix TK15.

Fenix TK15 S2 Edition

This light is built for weapon mounting and you can get a remote switch for it. Plus Fenix has a Lifetime Warranty.

Fenix AR102 Remote Switch

thanks for the suggestions. after reading some reviews I may just end up going with the fenix!

thanks, I don't really have a lot of experience with weapon mounted lights so I didn't realize that those lights couldn't be properly mounted. Now I know!

VIP Member
    It's not cheap but I love my Surefire X300 Ultra. It does mount very securely to a rail. Mine has stood up just fine to many rounds of +P .45 ammo through my FNP45 Tactical and HK USP45 Tactical.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links