Stun Gun vs. Pepper Spray

This is a discussion on Stun Gun vs. Pepper Spray within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I initially was looking for some type SD stuff for my anti-gun daughter, I have decidedly changed my mind on type of device. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Stun Gun vs. Pepper Spray

Since I initially was looking for some type SD stuff for my anti-gun daughter, I have decidedly changed my mind on type of device. I was at a gun show and could hear the ZZAAAAPPPP!!!!!! from the guy selling those 3 million volt stun gun zappers. It gave me the willies from across the convention hall!!! So I got her one. It is something. But also started thinking: the person needing zapping has to be as close to HER as she is to them for it to work. Not good. So I got her OC spray because it gave her a few feet distance from the perp and I thought that was a better idea.

She just told me her zapper has shorted out and melted. I guess her keys must have crossed the contacts and a set of co-incidences let it get powered and it shorted itself out in her purse. Hmm, so I got her a new 1.5oz Fox Labs Green w/20ft stream, flip top and UV dye. I figure that ought to get the job done if any nefarious person wants to "ride the fire"! Besides her being about 5'10" tall and a stout girl, now with that OC spray, if she has her wits about her, I almost feel sorry for anybody crossing her path with bad intent!

Thoughts of others on OC spray vs. stun guns and such? I really think the proximity of using the zapper is a big negative. Can anyone give me something different? I keep thinking of Mas Ayoob talking about "remote control" weapons (gun) and "contact" weapon (club or knife) which is what made me switch my thinking.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    If it's a knife fight, I'd want to be the one who brought the gun...not a less lethal option.

Less lethal options are just that...options. If it is all you have, there is no option.

Consider paying for Krav Maga classes for your daughter...could also be a good opportunity to take classes together.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Klick Pow. Personally seen to many walk right through pepper spray, and several only made mad by a stun gun or tazer that didnt function as it should
    Aceoky and technomonster like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

For self defense and close quarters, OC foam would probably be the best.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I do not put much stock in stun guns. The contacts are too close together to get the 'stun' effect that you see on TV. It produces some level of pain, but no incapacitation. The contacts must be far enough apart, i.e. TASER probes, that the current involves major muscle groups in order to incapacitate a person. Additionally, the pain compliance effect of a stun gun is zero the second it is no longer in contact with the assailant. And now he or she is angry, to boot.

An actual TASER is a whole different ball game from the million-volt zappers sold in Cheaper Than Dirt catalogues for $30.

OC spray is great, but there are some considerations: 1. In close, you will get secondary exposure to the spray. If you are going to use it, you need to be prepared for that. 2. There is a window of anywhere from 1-20 seconds before OC spray really takes effect. And the person sprayed is probably going to be pretty mad during that time. 3. There are some people it just doesn't bother. That number is quite small, but it's there.

I am certified for TASER and OC, and neither is much fun, but I would not rely on one of them as my sole means of defense if i had the choice.
    Last edited by Madcap_Magician; August 16th, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Best Self Defense Products: TASER® C2? CEW

This, its your daughter why go cheap?
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I do not put much stock in stun guns. The contacts are too close together to get the 'stun' effect that you see on TV.
    Very interesting information. I did not know that. Thanks.

As far any martial arts training - not gonna happen. She is not going to do that and, IMO, is only taking the OC spray and stun gun to humor ole dad and keep me off her back. She will NOT carry or even use a gun. We've been through that. She's more the pacifist (a nurse) and lets ME do the worrying for her. It's good she's a big girl and very athletic. She can handle herself and I'm hoping that her physical shape and the assistance of FOX LABS plus the thought of her two boys at home will keep her from being stupid.

Thanks for the input to all!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Best Self Defense Products: TASER® C2? CEW

This, its your daughter why go cheap?
    She is pretty much against heavy-duty stuff and is more the pacifist as I said in another post. IMO, I think she keeps the OC spray and the zapper to humor me and keep me off her back. But this (above) may have some merit. I think this will get further discussion! Thank you for the reference. I think she could make room in her purse next to the OC spray for one of these babies! Heck, she could use it on her oldest boy if he gets outta line!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Not a big fan of "stun guns". You have to get to too close to your attacker. Mr. Murphy loves these devices! I think that the average person is better served with 10% OC as a less than lethal option in addition to their handgun. JMHO.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    I understand your concern/frustration. My wife used to ask me, "Why is my life anymore important than that of someone else?" Kinda made me crazy. Long story short she now keeps a glock 19 in her car and in a fanny pack when biking alone. Exposure to some videos and telling her the grandkids needed her worked like the Colorado river cutting the grand canyon. It just takes time.
    oneshot likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

A stun gun u have 1 shot... And They suck for accuracy...

Id keep working at getting her armed. Stun guns, pepper spray, work sometimes and sometimes they dont. My own daughter worked as a prison guard for several years and was limited to spray and tazer for protection at work.

She finally got a job outside of being in a war zone which relieved me to no end but has little trust in sprays or tazers after seeing them fail about as often as they worked. She carries a 9mm 16 rounds jhp.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    She is pretty much against heavy-duty stuff and is more the pacifist as I said in another post. IMO, I think she keeps the OC spray and the zapper to humor me and keep me off her back. But this (above) may have some merit. I think this will get further discussion! Thank you for the reference. I think she could make room in her purse next to the OC spray for one of these babies! Heck, she could use it on her oldest boy if he gets outta line!
    Pacifism can be deadly when your attacker is not the one who is the pacifist.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Pacifism can be deadly when your attacker is not the one who is the pacifist.
    You're preaching to the choir, here! I have no problem with it. She's gone shooting with me. She's let her two boys (16 and 11) go but refuses to carry, herself. I keep going with the OC spray, I'm giving up with the stun gun with this info (above) and might see what she thinks about that Tazer (above). Baby steps is all I can do. My only consolation is that she is starting a new job about 10 minutes from her home at a nice place in a nice area. The place she is in/around now is a charity hospital catering to the less-than-savory elements of society in a less-than-savory part of town about 1/2 hour away.

So this is a step in the right direction. Better environment, OC spray and baby steps. What else is a daddy to do...?
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Between the two, I'd go with OC. Just asked a LE family member this and this question comes up every now and then. Fox Labs is a good brand to try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links