Indoor/outdoor shooting range ear muffs

This is a discussion on Indoor/outdoor shooting range ear muffs within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for any advice on a decent set of ear muffs that work great and not too pricey. Thanks...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By technomonster
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By Str8upguy

Thread: Indoor/outdoor shooting range ear muffs

Indoor/outdoor shooting range ear muffs

Looking for any advice on a decent set of ear muffs that work great and not too pricey. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    There are several different brands obviously.I just bought another pair.I went into a hardware store and bought a set for 14.00.They were made by Mossy Oak.That said, a set from walmart or somewhere like that should be ok.

I've found that the important thing is that you want to be able to hear when it is windy (outside) and get good noise reduction. My first pair of active headphones were $40, worked great indoors, but completely sucked when I was training outdoors and it was windy. I've tried the Peltor Tactical 6S ($60-$75 range) and they worked well.

I personally bought several pair of Peltor ProTac II for my family. I found one pair used but like new condition for $120 (Armslist or Craigslist) and the others online new in the $160/each range delivered. I've used them many times outdoors (desert winds and heat, Wisconsin cold and rain, etc.) and they are very durable and work great.

So, you can find many models and a few good brands, but be sure to search to see how they do outdoors under windy conditions. For only a few dollars more you will find a good model that gives you all the performance you need under most conditions - even if you don't think you need that right now.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    3M Peltor Shotgunner Hearing Protector - Amazon.com

nothing fancy. cheap and effective, i like the lower profile but mostly i just use foam plugs.
    maniacmechanic likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Go here....or should I say GO HEAR!
    muffs at Brownells

You may or may not pay a little more BUT, if you buy them from Brownell's and you don't like them for any reason...or even for NO reason...you can return them for a full refund.
    No questions asked and they will refund you with a smile.

I am using Pro Ears now but you will probably not want to spend that much. I have used Walkers Game Ear and they are good.

Absolutely I would get electronic muffs.

You could try the Brownells brand. Everything they put their name on is usually damn good and will work as advertised.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

For pistol only I use Howard Leight Impact Sport Pro. If I'm doing any rifle work it's the Howard Leight Impact Sport.

The pro has more sound reduction but the ear cups are a bit bigger (hence the higher sound reduction rating) and the plain Impact Sports have a much thinner cup for getting better cheek weld.

Both versions far surpass the functions of the Peltor Tac line and have better amplification and faster response. If you're shooting large bore with the non pro version you can always add a pair of foam ear plugs with them. I also do this when shooting indoors with any caliber as a rule.
    QKShooter likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I use Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport

I find them amazing for outdoor shooting, and most all indoor. My local indoor range is very small and there are times when it's packed with 8 aisles of double-tapping 45ACP that they seemingly become overwhelmed and allow through too much. When this occurs, I revert back to simple Quiet Bands. I also just ordered a pair of R-01902 to try.

For 90+% of my shooting, I use and LOVE the Electronics as they allow for normal-volume speech, making teaching much easier. It's also amazing how much more you hear when wearing the electronics, including the grass folding below each footstep.
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; August 18th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

NRA Life Member

I'm going to endorse the Howard Leight Impact Sports as well. First time I used a pair was during my NRA RSO training course. Been in love with them ever since. I've used them countless hours working as a RSO or Range Master on an outdoor range with no complaints. Several of us had them and we could carry on conversations during live fire sessions with no problems.

For non-electronic muffs I use the Howard Leight LOF3 at work (I think, the label has pretty much rubbed off from my checklist pouch) and I love those as well. Same form factor as above and I can wear them for hours without complaint.

And the best part is both pairs have dropped in price since I bought mine so they're really affordable now.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Find a cheap pair (under $15) and supplement with earplugs.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I use the green plastic Remington ear muffs. I also add ear plugs and it's a very effective combination. good luck
    Hodad likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Almost any will work. The air gun or hunting section of your local Walmart will carry a pair. They will all do the job

I still use the same ear and eye protection combo I did a year ago. Costed me $15 for the set.

I had a expensive pair but ended up confiscating my sons cheap winchester brand from wal mart an giving him mine his was more comfortable for me

Howard leight all the way here. Outdoor range they work great even in windy conditions and can hear everything and everyone no problem. When shooting rifle I will double up with foam plugs and turn up the volume and still be able to pick up conversations fine. Indoor range its Leight and plugs as well as the enclosed space just makes everything louder and some fool is always in there blasting away with a 357 magnum, wait that's me sorry. My only complaint is not even against the leights just muffs in general, they get hot and sweaty, and that's not their fault as its Africa hot in south Texas. Still I will take a bit of discomfort for the ability to hear what's going on around me.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    I use the green plastic Remington ear muffs. I also add ear plugs and it's a very effective combination. good luck
    Exactly what I use.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Links