Flashlight retention ring?

This is a discussion on Flashlight retention ring? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a retention ring for my tactical flashlight. In case we use different vocabularies, I'm talking about the ring that fits around ...

Thread: Flashlight retention ring?

Flashlight retention ring?

I am looking for a retention ring for my tactical flashlight. In case we use different vocabularies, I'm talking about the ring that fits around your finger so you can flip the flashlight to the back of the hand when you need to use your fingers to hold/manipulate stuff, like a mag. It seems that some manufacturers make them for particular lines, but is there a ring for the generic tac light?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    if light body diameter is the same then it should work.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Alas, the diameter seems to vary from model to model. If I am using the flashlight in the way I imagine, I am in danger. The reliability of the retention ring is the last thing I want to worry about, so I'd need it to work well.

Visit my blog at www.scgunblog.com
    Follow my on twitter @scgunblog

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure we don't want to attach a lever to any of our individual fingers for tactical reasons but I may be the mad man on the boat.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCanuck View Post
    Section 8 URD
    I have this one. It seems designed for the Graham Method. If you want to use it for other methods, it may be awkward. It is also quite big, which can be a problem if you have the flashlight in a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    I'm pretty sure we don't want to attach a lever to any of our individual fingers for tactical reasons but I may be the mad man on the boat.
    The retention ring is to free up your fingers for things like magazine change. I guess you have to choose between (1) continuing fighting and shooting and (2) having a vulnerability in a grappling fight.

By the way, the trigger guard is a very good lever.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    I have this one. It seems designed for the Graham Method. If you want to use it for other methods, it may be awkward. It is also quite big, which can be a problem if you have the flashlight in a holster.

The retention ring is to free up your fingers for things like magazine change. I guess you have to choose between (1) continuing fighting and shooting and (2) having a vulnerability in a grappling fight.

By the way, the trigger guard is a very good lever.

Get a headlamp to the front!
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Get a headlamp to the front!
    The headlamp gives the enemy a target to shoot at. That is one of the problems of a weapon-mounted light on a handgun, and potentially a problem for some of the flashlight methods. With a separate flashlight, however, you have more flexibility in avoiding giving a target and in having more lighting options.

The foursevens lights just come with a rubber finger grip.

Depending where you are in the midwest, I prolly just have one laying around you could have at the shop.

Thanks for the offer, but it looks like you're in Michigan. I might look at your Foursevens if my current flashlights don't work out.

Links