Boot suggestions

This is a discussion on Boot suggestions within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for some suggestions for a quality do it all boot. Im looking for something that is waterproof and that i can run in comfortably. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Boot suggestions

Boot suggestions

Looking for some suggestions for a quality do it all boot. Im looking for something that is waterproof and that i can run in comfortably. I also like tan/coyote colors. Insulation is not a huge issue since Im going to be wearing these in Texas. Thanks again.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Redwing Boots, large selection AND they are made in the USA not china.

Red Wing Shoes | Red Wing Work Boots
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Shop on-line at Bass Pro or Cabala's. Always fun to have stuff delivered to the house, saves gas.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Redwing Boots, large selection AND they are made in the USA not china. Red Wing Shoes | Red Wing Work Boots
    +1, always better to buy USA.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

...sorry to tell you that I quit wearing Red Wings over 10 years ago because they started importing their boots...just verified that a lot of them are made in China ...I wear Justins a lot...not quite the same as the old Red Wings, though...
    Redwing Boots, large selection AND they are made in the USA not china.

Red Wing Shoes | Red Wing Work Boots

Distinguished Member
    Ohhhh, must you always tinkle on the parade?
    357and40 likes this.

~ Jesus ~

...when you get my age...yup...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...sorry to tell you that I quit wearing Red Wings over 10 years ago because they started importing their boots...just verified that a lot of them are made in China ...I wear Justins a lot...not quite the same as the old Red Wings, though...
    Maybe it is only certain styles; the ones I am wearing now were bought specifically because they were USA made.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What is the primary use of the boots?

Generally, I HATE Goretex/waterproof boots unless they are for use in cold weather or snow. For just regular ol keeping your feet dry...try dodging puddles cause that's about all waterproof boots are good for. Non insulated/waterproof boots dry out fast. Something that Goretex can't do. Try crossing a river in Goretex boots and then crossing that same river in non insulated GI type boots. Guess which one is dry an hour or two later and which one you could take off and dump out into a cup?

Waterproof boots are only so many inches tall. Most rivers are deeper that the height of boots. All that water just rolls over the top and fills em to the brim. If you're gonna be crossing lots of water, maybe you need waders. I prefer drain holes over Goretex for use around water.

As for running, heat builds up fast in boots. Heat equals sweat. Sweat equals moisture. Moisture in waterproof boots equals standing water in your boots even if you haven't been in any water. Standing water in your boots equals wet boots for hours. Ask me how I know

If you are running a lot, boots may not be your best footwear choice

You want general purpose boots in tan color? Look at some of the GI issue desert boots. If you want something with a more athletic feel, try out some of the offerings form Oakley.

The above is not the absolute end all be all of the matter, just my experience. I'll probably never buy another Goretex boot in my life though for the record. Socks are important. I find non insulated/non waterproof boots paired with green GI socks to be a 90% solution for my needs.

Waterproof is overrated unless it's cold weather and snow is on the ground. Otherwise, carry an extra pair of socks and be smart with where you step.
    Gark and JDE101 like this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    There are a hundred great boots out there, but if you want to run I wouldn't go with a full lug sole or a Vibram, and nothing with a steel shank...unless you're a sadomaschicist.

When I served we ran allot, and we all wore Magnum boots. Magnum® Official USA Store | Tactical and Work Boots | Free Shipping

Look at their military boots in Stealth or Spider. They're like the ones we wore, which were probably discontinued 15 years ago.

These are more running shoe/boot hybirds. These will not last your lifetime, they are not bullet proof, but they will probably last about three times longer than a running shoe, and they're very light (<19 oz), so it isn't fatiguing to run in them like most boots.

If you're not running a lot in them then I'd spend a few more bucks and get a pair that will last forever, but you're asking for a very difficult trade off, because the only place I've ever been where lots of people run in boots is in the service.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

...some are still made here...some are made in China...the boots themselves have the country of manufacture in them by law...
    Maybe it is only certain styles; the ones I am wearing now were bought specifically because they were USA made.
    msgt/ret likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Agree on the waterproofing. Unless its cold its more of a hindrance than a help. It's supposed to breathe, but on your foot which sweats allot it simply doesn't breathe enough. Uninsulated boots are better not to be Goretex.

If you don't mind spending the big bucks I have a pair of all leather, Filson chucka boots that are light enough to walk all day in the switchgrass, and good looking enough to wear out with khakis and a shirt. I like them for hunting trips because I don't need another pair of shoes or boots if we go to town.
    sparkykb likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    It's hard to find boots not made in China! But as far as I know REDWINGS are made in Redwing MN.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    +1, always better to buy USA.
    If the US made item offers quality. One time I was trying hard to buy American during this shopping trip, but the domestically made items were all big and clunky. I ended up buying Swiss. Nicely designed, sturdy enough, graceful lines. The difference was too big to ignore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links