Opinions on these rifle stocks

This is a discussion on Opinions on these rifle stocks within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't make up my mind but kinda like them. Different, not sure if you will get made fun of or it will be popular? Laminated ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By phreddy
  • 1 Post By JDavisArk

Thread: Opinions on these rifle stocks

Distinguished Member

Can't make up my mind but kinda like them. Different, not sure if you will get made fun of or it will be popular?

Laminated Colors
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I would stick with the traditional designs. But that's just me and I am a somewhat insecure guy.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    If you like them, more power to you, but they are not my thing.

Who's gonna make fun of you? You're carrying a gun.

They definitely personalize your rifle,one thing I would do is make sure It's a gun I'm gonna keep,you will seldom recoup the money you spend on add-ons to a firearm,and trying to find a buyer if you choose to sell it later would be tough finding somebody with the same rifle and needing the same style/color your selling
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    I like natural wood, but the laminates are suppose to be strong, I just hope that the glue that they use lasts for hundreds of years
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I like them. I wouldn't hesitate to put one on if I wanted something other than an original look. Maybe I wouldn't choose the craziest design, but there were some good looking stocks there!

Distinguished Member
    I liked the rosewood.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    The rosewood is a beauty but for hunting I would stay with the brown/brown or the black/gray laminate. From what I have read the laminate stocks are very stable and durable. At the last NRA convention we had in Charlotte I did see some freestyle target rifles equipped with some of the more colorful stocks and the really did look good. I don’t care for or watch the Olympics but whatever that event is called where they ski around then shoot targets you will see some of those stocks there.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Laminate stocks are a good choice. They resist warping and are very sturdy.

You could go with the Blue and Gray. OH, sorry you are in Carolina and not Missouri....
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

It all depends on what you're using it for mainly and what you're after. I like the laminate wood stocks for my 10/22s. I've bought finished and unfinished Boyd's laminate replacement stocks in the past with excellent results. Salt and pepper Blaster ready to go, and a BumbleBee Barracuda that I finished myself. I guess it's the style or the custom thing that makes it attractive. Honestly, I don't have a single solid wood stocked firearm. These days, the composites, laminates, etc are state of the art, excellent bedding systems, and most are drop-in fit. If you have collectibles with solid wood stocks might be a different story.
    Now, on the Richard's micro fit stocks. How much have you looked around at laminate stocks? Just wondering as last I knew the Richards had a bad rep for not being totally finished or in stock jargon (90% inletted), their customer service was lacking, their build-ship times were very long, etc. Just sayin'. Nothing against them personally, I've never ordered from them. On to your visual experiences and tastes. stockysstocks make, broker, and distribute quite a lot of the stocks you might be interested in. Boyd's makes awesome stocks but limited these days. Look on EBay for some distributors/sellers. Times are changing and this goes along with technology and niche marketing. If you already have a composite or fiberglass stock, look into hydro dipping your complete rifle or just the stock a bit cheaper than a whole new stock. I'm actually taking in my factory Win 70 in 7mm next week for the full treatment camo for $170. Just the stock would run you $90, and the graphics available are amazing! Now, you might also like some of the offerings from Bell&Carlson on the fiberglass/composite stocks. Another aftermarket stock manufacturer I've gone with many times for their excellent quality and fit and textured finish.
    I've been doing stock swaps, builds, and replacements for a lot of years. I've also repaired split factory solid wood stocks on several center fire rifles.
    Can't make up my mind but kinda like them. Different, not sure if you will get made fun of or it will be popular?
    Like them....different for sure. If there's something you like, what does it matter if it becomes popular? You're not exactly starting a trend here are you? If you can shoot well, who would make fun of you?
    I've got a lot of compliments at the range on my Bumble Bee Barracuda build 10/22. I guess it is quite an eye catcher with the color scheme alone. If that wasn't enough, I got the scope rings and turrets anodized in matching colors just last month and this just tops it! It's a silhouette rifle built for competition. Thing about replacement rifle stocks is that they must be functional as well as appeal to the owner. An appealing stock may not perform well once you try and fit your action into it, and this is where you may be spending more money than you initially figured on for aesthetics alone. At this point I'll state that looks aint everything. But an attractive stock on an accurate rifle will just rock your world and get compliments at the range. Just be ready to walk through the door once you open it.
    My 'pretty' silhouette build. Custom built for....long story.
    Sister likes this.

Pig
    I have a Boyd's laminate thumb hole on my rifle and love it. Mine is a bit odd, left hand thumb hole for a right hand action.

I love mine. I went with the Boyd's SS Evolution, as I now shoot left handed due to an eye issue, but I want right-handed friends to be able to use the gun. The Evolution has a good look, but doesn't lock you into an either/or left/right rifle.

SS-Evolution_Gun.jpg

I think the word I'm looking for here is "ambidextrous"

As a matter of fact, I'm sort of bummed I can't find a yellow/black Evolution (apparently discontinued) for another of my 10/22's.

Mark H.

To each is on pick out the one you really like. It's your money and your gun.

Sponsored Links