Got my Remora the other day

This is a discussion on Got my Remora the other day within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it will work for what I wanted it for. I took advantage of the recent sale (25% off + free mag pouch) and it ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21
  • 1 Post By caoxinfinity

Thread: Got my Remora the other day

Well, it will work for what I wanted it for. I took advantage of the recent sale (25% off + free mag pouch) and it seems to be a well constructed holster. In the quest to shrink myself I've been going on 4 mi walks in shorts and t-shirt. My shorts are actually swim trunks with pockets as they dry out quicker and they only have a drawstring around the waist so a regular holster won't work. I don't have a pocket gun yet and with the stories of using the Remora in sweatpants I figured it was worth a try as a good way to keep my G23 on me.
    The first time I put it in the trunks, cinched it up, and took off. It wasn't too bad, but my G23 would rotate forward especially as I walked downhill and it moved a good bit. By the end of the walk it settled on the point of my hip and seemed to stay in place. It wasn't too bad as I could reposition the holster without lifting my shirt.
    Today I cinched up my trunks and then crammed it in. Worked much better. The gun didn't rotate, but still settled down by the point of my hip instead of staying higher at my waist. Not ideal, but it'll work.
    I also tried it with some 5.11 pants and Wilderness instructor belt. Luckily I was alone in the woods when I squatted down b/c the whole thing just squirted right out of my pants. Maybe the ex-officio boxers are too slick for it to grab onto.
    Anyway, I'm keeping it for the walking bit, but I doubt it'll see full time everyday use - will stick with my Comp-Tac Spartan. It also works well keeping your gun on a nightstand or other place off your body as when you pull it out the holster sticks to whatever it's resting on - no having to pick up the gun + holster and then having to pull the gun out of the holster. I think a smaller one would make a fantastic pocket holster for when I do pick up an appropriate sized gun. Might even work as an everyday holster for a gun that's not quite so heavy. Again, I'm thinking it may just be the material of my boxers so I don't want to bash the product b/c of my individual use of other "gear". Right now the mag pouch is working well keeping my single CR123 flashlight and SA Rucksack knife upright and in the same position in my pocket - a smaller SAK will sit too low in the pouch for easy retrieval.

Hope this helps someone.
    F350_6 likes this.

I have a Remora for a couple of different guns and had a similar experience. Wore my Ruger 9c with dress pants one time and the holster started sliding down! It was awkward grabbing my pants to keep the gun from hitting the floor and trying to get somewhere to adjust it! Remoras move too much on my body type and I've gone back to hybrid holsters. At least they stay put.

Maybe one needs to cotton/cotton or cotton/skin contact surfaces; no wool or synthetics in the mix.

Distinguished Member
    Were you positioning the holster between your shorts and your boxers? I can snug a drawstring and tuck in a Remora between the waistband and my skin and once it establishes good skin contact it doesn't move. This works very well with a small Sig P238 and pretty good with a 5" 1911.

@@ BlackBerry 10 Mobile Messaging @@
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

While I can carry my 3" Kimber or my Ruger SR40c in sweatpants or shorts with a drawstring I limit that to around the house. Not as secure as I would want if I needed to
    move more athletically than a walk. In jeans or shorts with a belt Remora is great, gun stays put and very comfortable. Once jacket season gets here I switch to OWB otherwise the Remora is my go to holster. Also agree with others that mentioned it is very convenient for when moving gun to car storage or night stand any where other than on you. No fumbling and trigger stays covered.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Were you positioning the holster between your shorts and your boxers? I can snug a drawstring and tuck in a Remora between the waistband and my skin and once it establishes good skin contact it doesn't move.
    I was intentionally leaving that part out as it may be considered TMI - since they are actually swim trunks, no boxers, just the lining so I was carrying as you do skin/holster/trunks. Once it settled in it was fine. Maybe once the "handles" are gone, it will ride a bit higher. We'll see.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I was intentionally leaving that part out as it may be considered TMI - since they are actually swim trunks, no boxers, just the lining so I was carrying as you do skin/holster/trunks. Once it settled in it was fine. Maybe once the "handles" are gone, it will ride a bit higher. We'll see.
    I use mine with my Glock 26. The first day I had it I tried it with drawstring "lounging pajama" type loose pants and was delighted to find that it stayed in place. It is most effective when it is next to my skin, but also works well between my waist high cotton underpants (Hey, I'm old) and my "tight fittin' jeans" (old, but not dead yet......).

I'm still practicing daily drawing from it because that is a different experience than other IWB's I own. So far my draw is still a bit slow, but improving.

If I'm actually going someplace for a few hours rather than just close to the house I put on a belt: I KNOW, that supposedly undoes the reason for the Remora. But this is absolutely the most comfortable IWB holster I've worn. It seems to distribute the pressure of the gun evenly and almost doesn't feel like I'm wearing a gun!

I just ordered another one for a larger, heavier gun. Will see how that works out.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I carry a glock 17 with a tlr-3. I was really excited to get a remora because it was the only iwb holster I could find that wasn't a custom kydex job. It held in place really well, until the draw. The holster would draw with the pistol every time. Simple solution...I put a belt clip on it. Now its awesome. I could not be any happier with the setup.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

I like my Remoras, but they certainly have their limitations. As you did, I found that they like to settle in a certain orientation, which can be a problem with a larger gun when you want it "just so" to minimize potential printing; and since they aren't lined up to the belt like a pancake holster, it's harder to keep the grip along your body. But, I've carried several guns ranging from an LCR to an all-steel compact .45 in them, and none presented serious problems.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Remora slid down my leg twice. Added a belt clip now that doesn't happen anymore but I also then invested in a quality leather IWB holster. So wearing the remora doesnt happen anymore either.

I have a Sticky Holster (Same concept as Remora ) In drawstring shorts it has a problem holding my SR40C. I'll use it with belted jeans or for my nightstand.

Links