How do Troy Battlemags compare?

This is a discussion on How do Troy Battlemags compare? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried the search and was surprised not to see any threads talking about these. I just saw the thread with these on sale, and ...

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

I tried the search and was surprised not to see any threads talking about these. I just saw the thread with these on sale, and I was wondering what the quality level of Troy BattleMags is. Compared to standard GI or PMags, what experience do you guys have? I could ask the guys at the LGS, but I don't really trust any info they give me (heard way too much crazy stuff).
    Walk softly ...

They are good to go. At least per the Fighting Rifle boys at Tactical Response, who have tried them. Me, I like Brownell brand mags, and Pmags. I have used both of those.

VIP Member
    I caught 'em on sale a few months ago, so I got 10. I took 3 out to the range and put a few hundred round through them. No issues, performed well, no cracks, etc after dropping on concrete doing emergency reload drills, etc.
    I tested mag changes with slick hands and I like the stipple pattern on these mags.
    Mine shipped with the rubber "shock-absorbing" extended floorplate (Troy's description). I prefer to not have these, but to each their own.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I like trying different things to see what works for me, but not wasting my money. I picked up a few pro-mags for cheap, but didn't look/ask around first. Then I started reading everywhere that they are garbage. I just didn't want to make the same mistake again.
    Walk softly ...

Sponsor
    In my limited experience with the Troy mags, they have been fine. I have three and use them in rotation with my P-Mags and steel mags. I don't shoot the AR as much as I'd like to but the Troy mags have had a couple hundred rounds each through them with no issues.
    Last edited by luvmy40; September 7th, 2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typo
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I been running a few of these mags for the past few months and haven't experienced any issues whatsoever. It's cool that they come pre-stippled (or rather dimpled) but I'm not super crazy about the extended base plate that comes on them.

For the money though, I'd rather run PMAGs.
    "Holy crap, what a turd that thing was. I love Ruger, but man, the first time I pulled the trigger I thought I was going to have a birthday before it broke. " - Yarg28

I was under the impression that they usually come with flat floor plates also so you can change them out if you want. Is that correct, or is it an extra?
    Walk softly ...

I have 10 of them, they come with the extended floor plate Plus the flat standard floor plate.
    They have a field test on youtube. I like the dark earth color, but that's just me.

Links