G19 - flightlight and carbine kit - why?

This is a discussion on G19 - flightlight and carbine kit - why? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of getting a Glock 19 so I can have a full sized pistol for home defense. Currently only have Subcompacts. What is the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: G19 - flightlight and carbine kit - why?

I'm thinking of getting a Glock 19 so I can have a full sized pistol for home defense. Currently only have Subcompacts.

What is the point of getting a flashlight attachment to your gun? Wouldn't it be better and more management to keep your flashlight on your offhand instead of on your gun so you can manage it easier? Also, I was looking at Glock 19 accessories and saw this Carbine Kit for it. Has anyone used that? Is it worth it? I think it looks awesome hahah but I don't know if it would actually serve any real world purpose...

I tend to agree about the flashlights. To me, the big downside is if you want to shine the light at something, you have to point your gun at it. On a long gun, since you don't have a free hand, it makes more sense to me. But then, SWAT guys seem to like lights on handguns, so maybe there's something to it.

Now, a laser sight is a different story.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    The only "carbine kit" I've seen for a glock is a shoulder stock. Attaching it makes your Glock an SBR and thus an NFA item. Anything you add like that requires the tax stamp unless you get the barrel length long enough to no longer be a short barreled rifle.

As far as lights go- there are pluses and minuses to them. As Maxwell said you have to point the gun at anything you wish to light up- thus you may violate the safety rule of never pointing your gun at anything you're not willing to destroy. The plus side is that it leaves a hand free to do things like open doors, operate light switches, and push an opponent off of you that pops out at hand to hand range. I don't personally run a light on my gun, but I don't think anything is wrong with those that do. I've thought about it often but just never do it. Who knows, I may change my mind one of these days.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    As far as lights go- there are pluses and minuses to them. As Maxwell said you have to point the gun at anything you wish to light up- thus you may violate the safety rule of never pointing your gun at anything you're not willing to destroy. The plus side is that it leaves a hand free to do things like open doors, operate light switches, and push an opponent off of you that pops out at hand to hand range. I don't personally run a light on my gun, but I don't think anything is wrong with those that do. I've thought about it often but just never do it. Who knows, I may change my mind one of these days.
    The good thing though is in most cases you can still do those things with a flashlight in hand, especially with the advances in "flashlight technology" if you will. IE they are smaller brighter and more durable than ever before, as mentioned before there are pros and cons to both setups, personally I have my light(s) off-weapon, I carry one every single day in a pouch on my belt right next to my extra mag, if someone were to pop out at hand to hand range(while light is deployed) my first instinct would be a hammer strike with the non light side of the light, the point is decide what is best for you and train that way. Side note, if you decide to make a light a EDC item as I have, remember to arrange your EDC in such as way prioritizing NEED before convenience, obviously I use my light MUCH more than my extra mag however the extra mag takes the prime real estate on my belt due to NEED over convenience. Just a side tidbit, I am no expert don't pretend to be.
    Last edited by HemiCoupl; September 10th, 2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: speeling

You might want to read this recent thread:

Flashlights - educate me

At home, both a gun-mounted AND a hand-held light makes the most sense to me. For carry, I almost ALWAYS have a hand-held flashlight (Streamlight AA Pro Tac) in my pocket.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

If you want a full size pistol for home defense, go with the Glock 17. The 19 is not technically "Full size".

My question is this: Is turning your Glock into a pseudo carbine really going to make that much of a difference? If the gun is for home defense anyway, then just buy a carbine if you want a carbine. A dedicated carbine would probably be more accurate and effective than a glock turned carbine. You can even find a carbine chambered for 9mm that will take Glock magazines. That'd probably be a better bet. Then you can have both a pistol and a working carbine, and they'll take the same mags and ammo.

Having a weapon mounted light will free up your off hand, allowing you to perform tasks such as opening doors, quickly grabbing a child and moving them away from harm, calling the police, etc. They are plenty manageable, and anywhere your light is pointed, your gun is already also pointed. IMO, a weapon mounted light is a thousand times better than carrying one in your off hand.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

a weapon mounted light is a thousand times better than carrying one...
    Unless the mysterious night-noise is something you'd rather avoid aiming a loaded gun toward.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Unless the mysterious night-noise is something you'd rather avoid aiming a loaded gun toward.
    I was once awakened by the proverbial "night noise" I armed myself and silently left the bedroom with the wife on the phone. I got myself between the bedrooms and where the noise was coming from. I got to the doorway squatted on my haunches holding the light above my head I turned on the light and learned my youngest daughter walked in her sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    I was once awakened by the proverbial "night noise" I armed myself and silently left the bedroom with the wife on the phone. I got myself between the bedrooms and where the noise was coming from. I got to the doorway squatted on my haunches holding the light above my head I turned on the light and learned my youngest daughter walked in her sleep.
    I chain my daughters to the bad at night, so no worries (kidding).

I actually keep our laundry room light on at night. Because of it's location, that one light will provide ample light to see at night in my kitchen, dining room, daughters' play room, front room, and living room. If a BG were to break in, it'd be in one of those places. No need for a flash light.
    tdave likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

With pistol with weapon light held at low ready, there is enough spillover to see, without having to point the gun at something you are not sure of.

My HD G19 has one, so my other hand is free for other tasks. For carry, I use a hand held light.
    sparkykb, SIXTO and NCW Ray like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    Unless your room clearing tactics have been learned from watching reruns of Scooby Doo, you're not going to be pointing your gun like a flashlight. Ive probably said it a hundred times here, a WML is not a flashlight. Don't use it as one.
    Bad Bob, Echo_Four and Rexster like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Unless your room clearing tactics have been learned from watching reruns of Scooby Doo, you're not going to be pointing your gun like a flashlight. Ive probably said it a hundred times here, a WML is not a flashlight. Don't use it as one.
    But Scooby Doo is where I learn all my tactics! Don't knock it. It's important to know how to operate your weapon when your dog is hugging you out of fear! I also learned to fight from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

A pistol caliber carbine is a waste of money and effort. The only viable choice is a lever gun in a magnum cartridge. The 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP do not gain enough velocity from a carbine to worry about. I can do everything with my AR carbine and then some that can be done with a pistol carbine. There are not any out that are not NFA items worth the money.

The only benefit I see is the reduced noise level. The closest thing to what I would like to see in one is a Keltec Sub 2000, but the quality is lacking IMHO.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    With pistol with weapon light held at low ready, there is enough spillover to see, without having to point the gun at something you are not sure of.

My HD G19 has one, so my other hand is free for other tasks. For carry, I use a hand held light.
    I don't have a light yet, but this has been my experience as well in handling those that do - it still has a thrown projection that illuminates a general area, it didn't become a laser pointer the moment you mounted it on the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links