Flashlight statistics

Flashlight statistics

This is a discussion on Flashlight statistics within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If we're going to use numbers as a basis for our training and decisions, let's get them correct. A recently published blog post about flashlight ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HeadHunter
  • 2 Post By Ghost1958

Thread: Flashlight statistics

Flashlight statistics

If we're going to use numbers as a basis for our training and decisions, let's get them correct.

A recently published blog post about flashlight usage contains the statement "There’s a commonly held and cited statistic that three out of four times, when officers are killed during shootings, it happens in low light." That 'commonly cited statistic' is a fallacy. As an explanation of techniques and their pros and cons it is not a bad article but, being a quant, it annoys me when statistics are misinterpreted or just plain wrong.

To illustrate this, I went through the Summaries of Officers Feloniously Killed from LEOKA 2011 and tabulated the time and circumstances of incidents.

Here's how the times broke out.
    Mean 12:44 PM
    Mode 11:00 AM
    Median 1:20 PM

So, generally speaking, the killings took place around Noon not Midnight.

Out of the 64 incidents reported in the Summaries, only 36% took place between 2100-0700. Of those, in only 1 incident would a flashlight have had any relevance whatsoever, and that one is iffy. For instance, if an offender uses his car to run an Officer down at 12:20 a.m., a flashlight is unlikely to help that situation.

I'm not saying flashlights aren't useful. However, when using statistics as the underlying premise for an article, they should be researched for veracity, rather than be 'commonly cited'.

As I tell every class of Police Officers I teach, "If you haven't read the Summaries, you haven't read the Report."
    FBI Summaries of Officers Feloniously Killed
    sdprof likes this.

The most common statistic about flashlights im aware of is that when I need one either the batteries are dead or the bulb is blown
    sdprof and VaGentleman like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Sponsored Links