Anybody here use Ballistol?

This is a discussion on Anybody here use Ballistol? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading a bit about Ballistol cleaner. I'm wondering if there are any long term users here on the forum. My questions are: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anybody here use Ballistol?

I have been reading a bit about Ballistol cleaner. I'm wondering if there are any long term users here on the forum.

My questions are: How good is it for overall cleaning? Is it safe for the polymer, rubber and plastic materials on some of my guns? (SR9c Ruger and SR556 Ruger)

If this has already been covered, please point me to the thread.

Thanks in advance.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i used it when I had a BP rifle...worked great for that. Never used it for anything else. It stinks bad...really bad. I much prefer fluidfilm.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

VIP Member
    I use it on my Glocks. Not sure what to say about it. It's a cleaner. It works. It stinks like wet gym socks. I'm not into the cleaner/lube of the month, and quite honestly, most of my Glock cleaning amounts to a dry toothbrush on a dry gun anyway, plus I run my Glocks with next to no lubrication, so take that for what it's worth.

It is safe on wood, polymer, rubber, etc. It's very 'gun part' friendly, so I don't think you would ruin anything it got on. You can check out their FAQ for full info on what not to get it on.

I don't think I'd use it (as a lube) on an AR or anything that sort of relies on a fair amount of lubrication. I stick with Breakfree CLP for my ARs. Breakfree cleans faster (you kind of need to let Ballistol set on the part for a bit before you clean it) and CLP appears to be (IMO) a much better lubricant.

FWIW, I have used it in a pinch to lube up my AR and it worked fine, I'm just not sure it would be a good long term lube. Who knows, maybe it would be, I've just never tried it.

Personally, I'd say get a can and try it out on your pistols for sure. It's got plenty of other uses (I clean my leather work boots with it), so it's not a one trick pony that will be a waste of money if you don't like cleaning the pistol with it.
    StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I don't, but Hickok45 uses it exclusively, which is a pretty solid endorsement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I use it intermittently. I use Eezox dry cleaner/lubricant/preservative because it coats and protects metal and dries dry. But it goes and stays on thin. You simply can NOT apply too much or it will never dry. So I've found myself using Balistol (after watching a Hickok45 video) because it can be sprayed. So I spray it in spots where I can't rub Eezox and/or where I might want just a fine, thin layer of lube. Plus Ballistol won't eat rubber or plastic like Eezox is known to do!

One thing, however, Eezox is a really good, strong cleaner. But just for the heck of it, I applied some Ballistol on the front of a SS revolver cylinder and let it soak a while to try to get as much of the carbon off as I could. Well in about 1/2 an hour, the bits of carbon were suspended in the Ballistol! It had gotten most of the crud off. I was happy and impressed.

So I'd recommend it. I don't plan on stopping use of Eezox but Ballistol certainly has its place. I'd say go for it!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I use it on my Glocks. Not sure what to say about it. It's a cleaner. It works. It stinks like wet gym socks.
    That is your wet gym socks you're smelling.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

We'll I have tried all the oldies and am a sucker for the next best thing but I always come back to Ballistol. It just works for me. I also love that it can be mixed with water and used to clean your corrosive ammo firearms, no windex no more boiling water. It's a bit hard to find locally so anytime I'm up Houston way I make sure to clean out the few places there that stock it.
    BamaT likes this.

I use it exclusively, and the smell is not that bad. It's also good on leather. Holsters, belts ect..

Yep, I use it, I like it and would recommend it. It does the job. Cleans well, lubes well, and I actually don't mind the smell of it!

Sauce
    BamaT likes this.

#8 and #9 have smelled too many skunks
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I use it too pretty much exclusively. Funny but I have this sliding screen for a patio door that I would always have to lube otherwise it would make that metal on metal sound but this spring I sprayed it with ballistol and its smooth and silent and its lasted for over 5 months on one application.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I also exclusively use Ballistol. A friends Dad turned me on to it, said he has been using it forever to clean all his guns. Will not hurt the polymer frame and cleans excellent. And it also has hundreds of uses. Great for holsters and work boots. I always have to get it online, none of my LGS stock it.

I use it and like it a lot. I've used some other cleaners, run patches through until coming out clean, then use Ballistol, and first patch will come out with a considerable amount of crud on it. I'm like some others, I don't think the smell is that bad.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Yes I use it and it does a great job for me.
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    A friend of mine told me a while ago about Eezox and after reading this thread, I just bought some of each(Eezox and Ballistol) on E-bay.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links