1,000 rounds for a few dollars...Air Rifles Rock!

This is a discussion on 1,000 rounds for a few dollars...Air Rifles Rock! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I caught the tail end of an air-gun show last night and didn't pay it a lot of mind until a commercial came on. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 1,000 rounds for a few dollars...Air Rifles Rock!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

1,000 rounds for a few dollars...Air Rifles Rock!

I caught the tail end of an air-gun show last night and didn't pay it a lot of mind until a commercial came on. It compared the cost of pellets to the cost of ammo. It showed a box of ammo (50) and the cost - $18.00. It then showed the cost of a container of pellets (500), for only a few dollars. One thousand pellets can provide a lot of practice for only a few dollars ($10 or so?).

My brother got a Mossberg AR style .22 rifle with a red/green dot optic in a horse trade (literally) recently and we've been trying it out in the back yard for the past couple of weeks. I had a half-full box of Federal Value-Pack .22s that I had left-over from a time when they were readily available (remember those days?). We've been having a ball shooting "Dirty Birds". When the Federals ran out, we cracked open a white box of Winchesters I bought right before Sandy Hook. I've been wanting to get some of the 3-D zombie targets and get a considerable amount of shooting in this fall but with the limited availability of of .22s, 5.56 and handgun ammo, it doesn't look like its going to happen.

After I watched the commercial that compared the cost of pellets to ammo and considering the amount of target practice/plinking I've been without over ammo availability, I have to admit that an airgun is starting to look like a real attractive alternative to me. I looked up some videos last night on YouTube and found some interesting videos. There was a guy that had a big bore air rifle and he actually killed a hog that wieghed around 200 lbs. or so. Other guys with less powerful guns were easily taking out rats, pigeons, chipmunks, etc. that were wreaking havoc on farmers and home owners. These guns can also take out squirrels and rabbits the same as a .22 firearm will.

I'm not ever going to give my firearms up for air guns but I think there's a case to be made for acquiring a quality rifle like an RWS, Gamo or Benjamin, etc. We sometimes talk about gear that we'd like to have in a SHTF situation and I'm thinking if room allows, a quality air rifle should be available as well. A rabbit in hard times can make for a nice meal and the cost of a pellet makes this a meal on the extreme cheap. Save the .22s for matters when the pellets won't suffice.

What do you think? Would you consider having an air rifle for plinking, practice, and among your prepping gear? A quality air-rifle can be expensive, as much or more than a .22 rifle and even cost as much as a deer rifle depending on how deep you get into it. That's obviously a con but with proper maintenance and care, I'm sure it would last for years and years to come.

Do you have an air rifle in .177 or .22 that's shooting 800-1,000 fps? What has been your experience with it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and for your comments.
    StormRhydr and QKShooter like this.

2. Remove Ads

The ultimate sniper pppfffttt was that a fart or did somebody just die
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Don't get too excited... I'm sure with the stroke of a pen our illustrious leaders will find a way to classify air rifles as "assault weapons" and ban those too!

Lewis and Clark carried an air rifle on their great expedition that was lethal.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Lewis and Clark carried an air rifle on their great expedition that was lethal.
    I didn't know that. I never knew there were air rifles that were that powerful, I never knew you could kill a boar with one.

QKShooter likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Air rifles in the larger caliber can be serious defensive weapons. Certainly not as good as modern firearms with the rapid reload capability, but in a hunting situation they can be invaluable.

I had a Crossman pump rifle and a pistol when I was a kid. One day I ran out of BB's and pellets, and dug into my Dads stash of set screws and small bolts. Anything that fit into that bore was fair game and some of the set screws shot amazing well. They were accurate and capable of taking Robins, Bluejays and a squirrel at around 12 yards. Having one in a bugout stash wouldn't be a bad idea.
    DefConGun and QKShooter like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HotGuns reminded me that my first airgun was a Crosman 766 pump with a rifled barrel that was responsible for keeping rabbits out of my garden and chipmunks out of my railroad tie retaining walls 30+ years ago. I shot it until it literally fell apart, but along the way I discovered some accurate pellets that took good advantage of that rifled barrel.

After the Crosman died, I bought an RWS 34 and scoped it. This is a beginner-class 'serious' air rifle, with 850+ ft/sec capability depending on the pellet. This gun was responsible for a LOT of squirrels and a number of crows in my CT back yard, but it's not a smooth action and one that could benefit from tuning by an airgun pro.

After I moved out to AZ, I stepped up to a Beeman/Weihrauch R9, which was a step up in power and also has an adjustable trigger. This is the most accurate gun I own, but it's still at the low end of what's out there for 'serious' air rifles. And, frankly, it's too powerful for my limited yard here. It borders on 1000 ft/sec in .177, with about 12 ft-lb of energy. Cocking force is substantial and the noise level is on a par with a .22 Short.

For simple fun and occasional pest elimination, you are better served with a gun in the 7-8 foot-pound energy range, which translates into 700 ft/sec in .177 caliber. Cocking force is modest and the sound is all from the spring - almost no report from the muzzle. The Beeman R7 is in this range, and it's not only plenty accurate, it's also manageable by shooters who aren't hairy-chested brutes. I only pick the Beemans since I'm familiar with their product line. For springers, I'd steer well clear of anything made in China, and suggest perhaps the Gamo, which I believe is made in Spain.

Here are two sites that offer some really good advice. In particular, the Airguns of Arizona guys are super helpful and quite serious about their guns. Tell 'em what you want to do and your price range, and they'll make some solid recommendations.

Straight Shooters Precision Airguns

Airguns of Arizona - Precision Air Rifles, Airgun, Pistols, Pellets
    DefConGun likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

During hard times you can recover and reuse your bullet.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    HotGuns reminded me that my first airgun was a Crosman 766 pump with a rifled barrel that was responsible for keeping rabbits out of my garden and chipmunks out of my railroad tie retaining walls 30+ years ago. I shot it until it literally fell apart, but along the way I discovered some accurate pellets that took good advantage of that rifled barrel.

After the Crosman died, I bought an RWS 34 and scoped it. This is a beginner-class 'serious' air rifle, with 850+ ft/sec capability depending on the pellet. This gun was responsible for a LOT of squirrels and a number of crows in my CT back yard, but it's not a smooth action and one that could benefit from tuning by an airgun pro.

After I moved out to AZ, I stepped up to a Beeman/Weihrauch R9, which was a step up in power and also has an adjustable trigger. This is the most accurate gun I own, but it's still at the low end of what's out there for 'serious' air rifles. And, frankly, it's too powerful for my limited yard here. It borders on 1000 ft/sec in .177, with about 12 ft-lb of energy. Cocking force is substantial and the noise level is on a par with a .22 Short.

For simple fun and occasional pest elimination, you are better served with a gun in the 7-8 foot-pound energy range, which translates into 700 ft/sec in .177 caliber. Cocking force is modest and the sound is all from the spring - almost no report from the muzzle. The Beeman R7 is in this range, and it's not only plenty accurate, it's also manageable by shooters who aren't hairy-chested brutes. I only pick the Beemans since I'm familiar with their product line. For springers, I'd steer well clear of anything made in China, and suggest perhaps the Gamo, which I believe is made in Spain.

Here are two sites that offer some really good advice. In particular, the Airguns of Arizona guys are super helpful and quite serious about their guns. Tell 'em what you want to do and your price range, and they'll make some solid recommendations.

Straight Shooters Precision Airguns

Airguns of Arizona - Precision Air Rifles, Airgun, Pistols, Pellets
    Thank you for sharing, and for the help and recommendations, gasmitty!

Thank you everyone, its awesome to hear your stories. For anyone that hasn't posted yet, please feel free to contribute. Keep em' coming.

DefConGun and 40Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    ... and a link to a story of the history of the Girandoni: click.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've been using air guns for target practice for decades now. Ive got a nice competition style target pistol and rifle in .177 cal. With them I can spend a relaxed half hour in the evenings practicing without the hassle and expence of lugging guns and ammo over to the local range, paying their fees, finding and buying ammi to replace what I shot, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
    DefConGun likes this.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

I gotta have the bang. I know that's childish, but...I gotta have it!

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I have a mess of them and have been shooting them since a was a boy. Sheridan Blue Streak, and a Silver, Crossaman .22 Co2, Binjamine .22 cO2 1911 (with blow back), and a 1450fps Gamo single break. I've killed raccoons with the Blue Streak. People have been hunting and practicing with them for a century.
    DefConGun likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

DefConGun likes this.
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links