My mini survival kit

My mini survival kit

This is a discussion on My mini survival kit within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always kept a tiny kit in my handbag in a change purse, but I decided to upgrade and add some things. Now it's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: My mini survival kit

VIP Member

My mini survival kit

I have always kept a tiny kit in my handbag in a change purse, but I decided to upgrade and add some things.

Now it's in a Pelican 1010. This is as big as I want to get. It's still kept in my purse.

kittop.jpg

The case has been wrapped with approx. 13 feet of paracord, and I replaced the default wimpy snap hook with a real one.

kitparacord.jpg

When you open the case, you can see it's been packed full. Very, very full. I had to be careful how things were packed so the wrong things would not get crushed or the LED accidentally turned on.

opened.jpg

Here's everything:

totalkit.jpg

List of contents:
    • Water: small vial of Potable Aqua tabs, breast milk bag for water storage
    • Fire: Doan magnesium fire starter, Vargo titanium flint sparker, 3 UCO weatherproof matches, small candle, match striking surface, 4 Tinder Quiks
    • Rescue and navigation: mirror, Acme Tornado whistle, NATO button compass
    • Food: 3 small game snares, fishing kit. My line is wrapped around a metal sewing bobbin.
    • Shelter, maintenance,etc.: wire saw, sewing kit (dental floss thread), small LED light, small roll duct tape, 25 ft. of 200 lb. kevlar cord.
    • Medical: first aid kit inside the linen tea bag, which also has its uses. Spare pair of contact lenses are also in there.
    • Urban: cash, handcuff key

I think that's it. The first aid kit is full of bits.

If you removed the rubber liner form the kit and took away some items like the wire saw and the snares and put the whistle on the snap hook, you can fit a space blanket at the bottom. I didn't, and decided to just keep the space blanket loose in my purse.

Closeup of one of the snares:
    snares.jpg

They roll up to the size of a nickel and are made up of:
    - AFW brand Surfstrand bare stainless leader wire, 1x7, 60 lb test, camo color
    - AFW #2 crimp sleeves
    - AFW mighty mini snap swivels
    - the locking device was cut from aluminum angle stock and drilled. I was thinking I should've spray painted them black. When the wire tightens around the animal, that 90 degree piece keeps it from loosening up and the animal slipping out. I read a lot online and watched a few YouTube videos. Some guys used the leader wire for snares but I did not see anyone make a locking version, and one guy who used aircraft cable for larger snares bent pennies to make his locks. The little ones I made are strong and very compact and lock, too. I chose bare wire over the coated, because I had issues with the lock shredding the coating off, making re-use difficult.

I made one for my husband, and he keeps it in his car. Instead of the Pelican case, his container is a wide mouth, single wall, stainless drinking bottle.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    Very Nice Betty, I'm going to have to copy some of your ideas
    QKShooter and JDE101 like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    You had me at 3 small game snares! You have daughter by chance?

I kid of course, but nice kit. I keep something pretty similar in my backpack.
    QKShooter likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Very cool; I'm with DTOI on the snares. I might suggest that you keep the handcuff key hidden on your person as if you find yourself in a position of needing it, your kit will probably have been confiscated. Here is a very concealable version: Concealable Backup Universal Handcuff Key (Plastic Handcuff Key) 6 pack - MagnaLight. On the snares, if they're built to accommodate this, you can leave a small tab of wire bent in towards the center of the loop when you form the slip loop. This will catch their fur, eliminating the need for a lock.

VIP Member
    In my husband's kit (the stainless water bottle one), I was able to fit a space blanket and a Leatherman micra. The bottle was unable to fit the rectangular mirror because of the width, so he has a small round mirror instead. His does not have paracord.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

This kit is VERY impressive!!! I am new to prepping but have been working on it quite a bit. Thank You for sharing.
    Oh, and just so you know, you have set the bar pretty high!
    Sister and QKShooter like this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Great looking kit! One item that I am a big fan of is the silver survival blankets. I have several of them and actually had to actually use one in USAF Survival School. It saved my bacon when it dipped down to 0 F! Good luck!
    QKShooter likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    In my husband's kit (the stainless water bottle one), I was able to fit a space blanket and a Leatherman micra. The bottle was unable to fit the rectangular mirror because of the width, so he has a small round mirror instead. His does not have paracord.
    Is the paracord wrapped around the outside of his?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Lead Moderator
    Very cool setup. Nice and compact enough to go anywhere.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Nice well thought out kit.

I did not know people carried handcuff keys unless they used handcuffs. Better than chewing your hand off.

Administrator
    We have so many new members here who may not know of Betty. Betty worked for S.W.A.T. magazine for years.
    She handles a wicked bad handgun and long gun.
    Betty was a former and highly qualified Administrator on this very forum until family obligations sadly stole her away from us.
    She is a talented artist and also a blade/knife enthusiast who kept live huge hairy tarantulas as her cute pets.
    And (along w/ many other attributes) has been a strong advocate for females taking responsibility for their personal and family armed self-defense.
    She will always have my respect and my friendship.

Hopefully it will be permissible for me to mention that I am one person fortunate enough to now have a mini "on body" personal survival kit assembled by Betty.

We bartered and worked out a mutually agreeable trade with some necessary B.O.B. items that I had extras of.

She absolutely filled a critical need for me with this kit since prior to receiving it I would be relying HEAVILY on my very complete Bug Out Bag...but, (the always possible what if?) "what if" separated from it for any as of yet unknown reason?

This is compact enough for me to have it on my belt.

In the past I had searched the Internet/Ebay/etc. for a small personal kit but, they were mostly chock full of cheap and worthless junk.

And I just never got around to attempting to assemble one for myself. Nothing in this kit by Betty is crappy stuff. It's quality all the way.

I love what she did with the ParaCord and I also love the fact that it is completely waterproof/submersible.

This one that I now have by Betty is so incredibly well thought out and it promises to be so "stand alone" doggone useful in and of itself.

I could not be more pleased with it.

The little snares are absolutely amazing.

I have made a very few minor changes to mine which are as follows:

> I added a few small pieces of char cloth inside the foil.

> I added 2 very strong legal AKA my legitimate prescription pain pills sealed air tight.
    Might be useful if I break an arm or a leg in the middle of nowhere.

> I added 2 small packets of WOUND SEAL ( I will be sending a few of those down to you Betty)

The reason that I added the Wound Seal even though I have CELOX in my B.O.B. is that I would not want to rip open the CELOX just for a finger, hand, or leg etc. gash.
    While even a finger or a toe gash that is an open wound can be if not debilitating at least will be incredibly bothersome in a SHTF scenario...but while it will really get in the way of tasks and chores it is still not a gunshot wound or a knife stabbing or a major open wound injury with arterial bleeding.
    The Wound Seal will handle anything and everything minor and the CELOX can remain sealed and still sterile.
    I have tested the Wound Seal on myself (fairly bad open gash) and the stuff works like a charm.

And YES, Betty your Kevlar is superior to mine.

So anyway. Thank You Betty for going above and beyond what I was expecting...even though I knew in advance that you would put together something great it honestly did surpass my already high expectations.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    This is my husband's kit. I chose a stainless bottle for three reasons: durability, discretion (can't see inside it), and the ability to boil in it if need be. I chose a bottle with a wide mouth. Some have very small openings that you can barely get anything in. I like the bottle instead of the bag for water, but I just can't realistically tote the bottle kit around in my purse all the time. I know some people use the condom emergency water carrier and it can hold a large amount of water, but I don't know if I trust myself to untie/retie/untie/retie a condom full of water and not make it explode.

If you go the bottle route, include some kind of bag and put it inside so you have something to put the contents in when you use the container for water (you may not have enough pockets to stow gear). Plastic bag, cosmetics bag, pencil bag, etc., ideally something with a grommet hole or means to attach a lanyard so you're not having to carry it by hand. There are also some bottles that include their own case and strap, some of the cases even have pockets on them. It just depends how big and complex you want to go.

Good idea, dV8r, about paracord wrapped outside the bottle. I'm going to do this for him.

stainless1.jpg

When you open the bottle, everything is packed tightly in it. I have all the fireststarting stuff in a small tin, and other bits have been organized in another tin. I like the Altoids mini tins, Godiva pearl tins, and especially Ginger Zingers tins for these.

stainless2.jpg

Since it can be very difficult to get your fingers up in there or shake the contents out, I included a short paracord lanyard that loops all the way to the bottom of the inside of the container. It strings through the grommet on the packaging for the space blanket at the bottom, and all the contents were packed around it. Give the lanyard a good pull, and the contents all come out. The whistle, the Vargo flint sparker, and the Photon micro light are attached to it.

---

QK, I wish I took a picture of the contents of the Ginger Zingers tin inside your kit. Can you post that? It's like a sub-mini kit on it's own. That can be carried in a pocket every day.

---

This is the kevlar cord I included in the kits:
    LINK

And the Vargo titanium lighter:
    LINK

That lighter works really well. Fluff out the end of a Tinder-Quik, and it lights quick. It's not the cheapest, though. The Spark-Lite should be just as good and cost less (I don't have one, though).

MISC. FIRE STARTERS including Spark-Lite (I have not ordered from this guy before, but he does have a nice list of things to spend $ on.)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Great looking kit! One item that I am a big fan of is the silver survival blankets. I have several of them and actually had to actually use one in USAF Survival School. It saved my bacon when it dipped down to 0 F! Good luck!
    How was it? Was it kinda warm or toasty warm? Could you feel the cold ground under you through it?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    Nice well thought out kit.

I did not know people carried handcuff keys unless they used handcuffs. Better than chewing your hand off.
    I was inspired by Jeff Randall's (ESEE) E&E kit. He does a lot of travel and trains a lot of people who travel to bad places. Sometimes you just never know; not all cops everywhere are upstanding ones. I hope I never actually use anything in the kit, but it's always handy to have an extra pair of contact lenses (I cannot navigate to save my life without them), or a band-aid or a small roll of duct tape.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    She absolutely filled a critical need for me with this kit since prior to receiving it I would be relying HEAVILY on my very complete Bug Out Bag...but, (the always possible what if?) "what if" separated from it for any as of yet unknown reason?
    I like my layers of BO gear. My purse is always on me when I go out, so I always have the minikit, and my purse also has the space blanket, one of the Millenium bars you sent me, and a larger first aid kit, Leatherman tool and Surefire. The bigger BOB is in the van, and we have a second one in the house.

In the event of an emergency, my plan is to immediately separate the gear in the kit. If I lose the kit or the purse, I lose everything in it. Some items would be on a neck lanyard or stowed elsewhere on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links