Recommendation for a Light??

This is a discussion on Recommendation for a Light?? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ... this is for my Dad; he's a retired North Carolina LEO, and when he retired, about all they used were the "club lights" .. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

... this is for my Dad; he's a retired North Carolina LEO, and when he retired, about all they used were the "club lights" .. no disrespect intended to the club light .

Anyway, we were talking over Thanksgiving about changes in LEO tactics equipment, etc., and the mention of lights came up. Seems he likes the look of the small tacticals. Now, .. it'll never see "tactical" duty I don't think, but I thought it would be a nice present for him. I'm looking to spend about $75 +/- $25 so I can go up to $100 on this particular gift.

Requirements are ..
    as light as possible (no pun intended)
    tail switch
    pocket clip
    small size - less than 6 inches
    as light as possible (pun intended).

I understand more $$ buys quality and brightness, I'm looking for a good combination of both, if that's possible.

If anyone can recommend a light that meets or comes close to meeting those requirements, it will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for any guidance; have a safe, wonderful holiday season,

Tony

How about a Brinkman and $50 worth of batteries?
    It's $20 and is a great little light (no clip though) but those 123s get expensive if you don't buy them online.
    If you are looking to spend the money only on a light then any of the offerings from Surefire or Pentagon in that price range will be very good lights.

Lead Moderator
    Surefire G2 or the E1 might be a decent choice.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Surefire E1E or E1L would fit that bill.

the dorcy spyder is bright as hell, comes w/ nylong sheath but no clip. only 19.99 w/ two 3v batteries. i think it's brighter than the surefires. claims 120 lumens on box, this site says 72:
    http://www.brightguy.com/products/Do...Flashlight.php

Surefire has some pretty good lights that fit that description.
    Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

Surefire is the way to go. You can try ebay for a deal on one. E series are small enough to carry in a pocket, without pulling your pants down and very bright. I think He'd be very happy with one, might run a just a few dollars over your budget.

Best light for the money (IMO) is made DORCY

Cheap and reliable and EZ to find.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Leadslinger I'd have to take your work for that one. I looked them up and it looks like a decent light but I have never had the chance to use one. What are their strong and weak points?
    Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

The E1E would be the only light that I know fits all of your criteria. The beam is excellent, slim strong housing, clip, push/click on tail cap. If it was to be a totally tactical light, I would not have the clicky on it but since it's not it will work.

Dorcy what?

Cyclops Xenon XCF Tactical $49-$89. Aircraft aluminum body, 5 inches long, 80 lumens xenon bulb, pocket clip, belt sheath, includes red, blue, green & clear lenses, tail on/off switch, & 4 (2 extra) 3volt lithium batteries.

Great light!! I bought mine at Gander Mountain for $49.00. The www.Cyclopssolutions.com website lists the light for $89.00.
    Last edited by Kankujoe; December 5th, 2006 at 05:46 PM.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

SureFire...

E2e...and a box of (15) batteries...and a neck lanyard!

Great light...60-65 lumens...last about 75-80 minutes...

Stay bright...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    For one thing, I would not get him anything other than an LED. Forget about Krypton, Halogen, whatever else. If it has a filament, you'll just be giving him something he has to repeatedly put bulbs into. It won't have a very clear light, and it will yellow as the batteries die.

Beware also that some lights with tailcap switches turn on like a Maglite does -- that is, when you press lightly, you get "momentary on" mode, and when you press harder you get "on." Some lights are what is known as "reverse-clicky," where you press the button in, and won't get light until you release the press. (I do not like the latter at all. Frankly, I can't see why they ever invented that kind.)

Not sure what's going to fit the description you made, since lots of the lights I've seen lately have no pocket clip. Inova makes some very good lights that are not too expensive. I have the T2, which produces a good amount of light, uses two CR123As, and rides in a nylon belt holster. It saw a lot of use before I got a MiniMagLED for half the price, which is slightly brighter, only it doesn't have the clicky tailcap switch that the T2 has...

Happy hunting!

Talk to Brommeland he has a line of lights he carries from Pentagon Lights. I'm sure he can hook you up with what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by NUCGUY View Post
    Leadslinger I'd have to take your work for that one. I looked them up and it looks like a decent light but I have never had the chance to use one. What are their strong and weak points?
    I can't give exact "tactical" specs or anything . All I can say is I have had Mag lights, Sure Fire etc.. and it doesn't compare for the money.
    I was at either Lowes or Home Depot 2 years ago and spotted a small Dorcy flashlight (last minute item). Its approx 4" long with a tail end switch and rubber at the grip portion, for maybe $18.00 It is a very (VERY) bright light , and has been in my night stand (with same batteries) for 2 years and has worked everytime. It has made a believer out of me, Why pay for more expensive lights that are equal or often less than equal in quality? Try one and you'll understand my endorsement.
    Last edited by Leadslinger; December 6th, 2006 at 01:55 PM.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links