Recommend me a new flashlight!

This is a discussion on Recommend me a new flashlight! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for advice from the collective. Need to replace the smallish Energizer LED 1watt AA flashlight that I normally carry. It has been beat to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Recommend me a new flashlight!

Cool Recommend me a new flashlight!

Looking for advice from the collective.

Need to replace the smallish Energizer LED 1watt AA flashlight that I normally carry. It has been beat to death and sometimes I have to smack it to get it to turn on.

Specs I am looking for:

LED

Preferably uses AA battery

tailcap switch

must have a clip for bulb down carry

the body must be the same diameter for the full length of the body (no flared bulb)...I clip the light horizontally to my cell phone case is the reason...it must lay there flush

About 100 lumens is plenty

do not need strobe, multi mode, or a bottle opener...just a light

OK folks...what should I consider?

thanks
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Amazon.com: 4Sevens/Foursevens Mini AA/ MA Black Finish / Cool White LED; 1XAA; 90 Lumens: Camera & Photo

it has strobe, low mid and high. some other models allow you to program out the strobe. no clip but you might be able to improvise. i have one and i really like it.

4sevens offers many other models. some have tail caps, this one dose not. recommending this one because it is simple and i actually own one.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I'm kind of wondering what use you plan for this flashlight. You can now get small flashlights, tail cap, no wider than your palm that is about 200 lumens for under $45. Since you're asking on a firearms forum, are you planning on using it as a tactical light (stun an attacker) or just something to use in case the power goes out.

You mentioned AA, but the new type of lithium batteries (CR123A) are very inexpensive and no reason you can't go to those. To me, 100 lumens is only enough for general use.

Above recommendation for four-sevens is good but for the same price, they have a smaller one, CR123A battery (1), and nearly three times the brightness.

Amazon.com: Foursevens ML-AE 1XCR123A 216-Lumen Mini 123/ML Cool White LED G2 Light, Black Finish: Home Improvement

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    10th, be done with it and gout and get a Surefire Fury.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

123 batteries are ok, just prefer AA because they are easier to find

more for general every day use
    StormRhydr and joker1 like this.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    10th, be done with it and gout and get a Surefire Fury.
    Already have a Surefire G2, and several Maglite XL50 lights. Too big and tactical looking for carry in a business suit.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Already have a Surefire G2, and several Maglite XL50 lights. Too big and tactical looking for carry in a business suit.
    Yeah I have a G2, and now I have 2 Fury's

The Fury is the same relative size as the G2, but is 500 lumen and has about the same batterylife as the G2.

I have one thats full on, and the other is one that first click is 100 lumens then pressing the tale cap real quick gives you 500 lumens.

If its a Carry light i would say get the first one with the two options, if its weapon mounted go with option number 2.

I have used many lights. The ones that truely seem to hold up is the SUREFIRES.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Check out FourSevens.com. They've got a few models that use the AA cells. Decent quality. I'd probably choose the Quark Tactical QTA.

Check out Fenix, too. Of theirs, I'd probably choose the LD12, which is 125 lumens and IPX-8 (waterproof) rated.
    varob and bandrich like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Check out FourSevens.com. They've got a few models that use the AA cells. Decent quality. I'd probably choose the Quark Tactical QTA.

Check out Fenix, too. Of theirs, I'd probably choose the LD12, which is 125 lumens and IPX-8 (waterproof) rated.
    CCW how long have you had your foursevens? My glass on mine shattered and the LED puts out less and less over the days.

This was a Flashlight that I got as a present and it was a limited run titanium i believe its one of the quark models.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    CCW how long have you had your foursevens? My glass on mine shattered and the LED puts out less and less over the days.
    I use a Quark Mini. Has given no problems, at all. Easily fits in the pocket. Bright enough to blind someone nearby, at ~10yds.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Recommend me a flashlight?

Any flashlight that will illuminate a preposition will suffice.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

The latter looks really good, thanks. I'm also looking at the Fenix PD22...smaller and more powerful, but uses the 123 battery. Hmmmm...
    surefire7 likes this.
    CT Lasers

Although the Olight S15 Baton doesn't seem to satisfy your list of requirements at first glance, I think it's worth a quick look-see. It works with one or two AA batteries, or one 14500 (rechargeable Li-ion 3.7V) battery. I EDC one of these, regardless whether I'm dressed for work, outdoors, or church, and the design of the clip compensates for the head being slightly larger OD than the battery compartment for me.

Olight S15 Cree LED EDC Flashlight with Extended Tube for S25 and LegionArms AA Battery - Amazon.com
    surefire7 likes this.
    NRA, GOA, GO-NH, PGNH.
    --
    "I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same ... . So help me God."

I would recommend the FourSevens Mini M2A. I just bought one and really like it so far. The only thing it doesn't have is a end click to turn it on. You have to rotate the end of it, which really isn't a huge deal, it can be done one handed.

Well until just recently I carried the 2 AA MAGLITE with a 3 bulb led mod in it probably the last 10 years or so. But all told I've carried the AA MagLite over 20 years. I'm not positive but there are aftermarket doo dads for this flashlight probably w/the clip you want. I loved the led bulbs cuz they'll work a long time with dead batteries. I still carry my old ML just in the console of my truck. I got me a small 110 lumen tac type light a few weeks ago and it works swell. The led mod kit I got for like $10 back then and it uses a push button switch located at end of the light like you wanted No way you'll get 100 lumens w/the 3 led bulbs with this particular mod kit but you'll get good soft light for chores a mechanic or truck driver might attend to.

MagLites are just like an old Timex watch-they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'!! I have 6 or 7 ML's. Three or 4 of the twin AA types and 3 that run on D batteries.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links