New EDC light!

This is a discussion on New EDC light! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very excited! Been researching small flashlights for a few days and finally ordered one. I had a few criteria in mind that this one met ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mp40c
  • 1 Post By BadgerJ

Thread: New EDC light!

New EDC light!

Very excited! Been researching small flashlights for a few days and finally ordered one. I had a few criteria in mind that this one met perfect.

• lightweight
    • thin
    • tactical style
    • tailcap switch
    • no multimodes
    • relatively cheap but still of great quality

So I ordered a Streamlight Microstream. Has excellent reviews including a very handy s-clip that clips to either direction.

Phaedrus likes this.

2. Remove Ads

This is in my EDC as well. Love it.

Had one of these for a few years. The battery started leaking nasty stuff in side so I chucked it. Got a Streamlight ProTac 2L. From what I have seen there is no better value in carry lights than Streamlight.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Check your batteries often. The finest flashlight in the world will be ruined in short order by a leaky battery and the best batteries in the world can leak.

The Microstream is my EDC. My only complaint is I wish it were a bit brighter.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Streamlight offers great lights for the price. I have the stylus pro and the protac 2l but I am ordering the protac 2aa here soon
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

I also carry a Microstream and own two of them. My EDC is a Fenix E01; that's always on me no matter where I am. But if I'm going out somewhere (not just to work) I usually grab the Microstream, too. The first thing you should do when getting one is install a lithium AAA battery. Yeah, they're expensive, maybe $1.50 each or so. But one battery will last a long time when just used for EDC stuff. Lithiums 1) have a long shelf life, 2) rarely if ever leak and 3) work down to around -40 F. One big issue I have leaving a light anywhere (like my truck) is that it can get cold in SD and cold kills alkalines pretty fast.

The tailcap switch of this little light is really great IMO. It's a constant-on but you have to push very hard for it to stay on. This makes is act like a momentary switch in practice and will almost always prevent it from coming on in my pocket and staying on. That saves the battery.

Overall a very good little light!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I have the Sereamlight Pro Tac HL. Super bright, great light.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Streamlight's line of small lights are becoming very popular,with good reason .....small, bright, durable and clipable I settled on a Protac 1L for my EDC light.
    The easy way is always mined.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I don't like the multi-modes. I bet if they took a survey 'would you opt for no MM feature for $10 added to the price' a lot of people would take it, lol.

I don't want an EDC light that's under 200 lumens or more than 1/2" longer than your palm and it has to have a butt cap. But, when you find the one you like get 2-3 of them.
    varob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I don't like the multi-modes. I bet if they took a survey 'would you opt for no MM feature for $10 added to the price' a lot of people would take it, lol.

I don't want an EDC light that's under 200 lumens or more than 1/2" longer than your palm and it has to have a butt cap. But, when you find the one you like get 2-3 of them.
    Very true ,if the same light was offered without the multi modes I would favor it ...but the Srreamlight Pro line tail cap makes it easy to avoid using the multi modes if one wishes to do so .
    The easy way is always mined.

Love the microstream...

EDC one everyday along with a Fenix LD22.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Well I have owned it a week, and LOVE it. I have yet to put the lithium battery in it, but its coming. I too love the tailcap switch. Yeah its a little tough to push for constant on, but that is a good preventative of accidentally clicking it on in the pocket.

I used it ALOT this week

Links