Defensive Carry banner

O.C. Spray who makes the strongest?

19K views 51 replies 41 participants last post by  Damsel_Pro 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm considering carrying pepper spray as a " less lethal" option while carrying concealed, or as another "layer" of defense. I am going to be the first to say I know very little about pepper spray and that is why I've turned here. I'm looking for something small ( key chain size or slightly larger) that has good stopping power. Is there different levels of what I'll call " heat"( for lack of a better term) in the spray? If so which is the hottest and how does one tell? Any insight to who makes the hottest or which is the " better " of the brands to buy. Like I mentioned I want something really strong, after using this, my next level of protection will be drawing my weapon. I'm just looking for some schooling on something I know little about so please be nice ;O)
G

#37 ·
I have been sprayed more times than I can count, both in training and during defensive uses. This includes CN (used to be called Mace when I first started out) CS and combo CS/Pepper. Sabre Red gets my vote. It is the most disabling and HOTTEST I have ever encountered.

Reactions: GlassWolf
#38 ·
Fox labs is reportedly the best formula

The 5.3 is what my family has and uses.

About Fox Labs International - Pepper Spray Distributor - Mace, Self Defense Products

"...percentages may be misleading, because it is the strength of the OC in the spray that determines its effectiveness, not its percent of volume. Moreover, strength is usually measured in Scoville Heat Units: the higher the SHU's, the greater the inflammatory capacity of the OC. Also, OC is an oil; to work, it must atomize into a fine spray. Because oily solutions do not break up as easily into a mist, solutions greater than 5 percent OC may not atomize as well."

Reactions: patri0t
#40 ·
I was hosed with the ol' military CS & CN gas (mace) and was able to tolerate it. The CN was stronger.
Then came O.C. and it changed e/thing. Our Dept issue was Freeze+P, Guardian and Fox Labs.

I have been hosed by many, but only these 3 set me down. Pay zero attention to anything advertised over 2% O.C.
Fox Labs International's 2% formulas using 5.3 million SHU OC resin is the max legal dosage.

If some drunked-up bubba wants to fight you with a loved one present, you are stuck, can't run & leave them and Can't shoot them.
It would be embarrassing to take a beat-down in front of your family, but if the aggressor is unarmed, you're prob stuck in a nasty fist fight. It happens.
Sometimes, a few BGs will just crowd you (askin' for change, a light, etc.) and you "suspect" trouble is imminent, but you can't shoot 'em & you won't know about the knife until it is pressed against you.

I carry a 2.0 oz container in a leather case, of Fox Labs 2% 5.3 Million SHU in a stream form, but the spray is recommended for less experienced folks.
When it reaches the expiration date, I get a new one.

Also, I get it fresh from: Powerful Pepper Spray, Mace - World's Most Intense Pepper Spray - Fox Labs International

#41 · (Edited)
We like pepper spray!

You need to understand that there are two types of strength involved. There is the "hottness" of the pepper itself, typically listed in "Scoville Heat units", and then there is the concentration of the solution, meaning the amount of OC in the carrier fluid; expressed as a percentage. Both are important. Higher values are better.

Secondly, as others have noted, is the spray patten: stream, cone, or fog. Stream shoots the farthest but requires better aim. Fog is better for groups, and the cone pattern splits the difference.

Indoors vs outdoors is a consideration. It doesn't take much to clear a room. Outdoors you might want to consider the wind direction.

A hard canister can be used as an impact device if the assailant gets up close and personal.

You need to know the laws in your state/city as some limit the amount and potency you can legally carry.

If you do a search online you can find all of this in great detail (probably more than you ever wanted to know).

#42 ·
Pepper spray will cause a reaction in most people. If you get the stuff that is also mixed with CS you get something that will work on most of the people that OC alone won't hurt. That said, it all depends how determined the person is. In 2/3 of the times I have used pepper spray it did nothing to end the fight. After the fight the person that was sprayed did complain about the pain, as did anyone else that was exposed- namely me.

If the person is really determined to be a problem OC won't just make it stop. If their heart isn't really in the fight or if they're somewhat weak willed then it works wonders. I personally only carry the stuff when I am required to do so. If I am going to end up fighting with someone I'd rather not be exposing myself to the burning and coughing.

#43 ·
If you want a reference for SHU, the Bhut Jolokia is the hottest pepper grown, sometimes called the Ghost Pepper. A friend of mine grows them. They rank on the SHU scale around 800,000-1M. They make Habanero and Jalapino look like pez candies. Fox Labs and Sabre Red so far have turned out to be the best I've used, and both are rated to be the hottest legal OC for LE.

Reactions: oneshot
#49 ·
Our Department issued spray is Freeze +P. It is a combination of OC and CS.....VERY effective, seen it used many times. Safe to use with Taser as well. You usually have to find it at a police supply store.....not sold in retail stores generally.

Reactions: Doc_fl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.