I need a brighter pocket light.

This is a discussion on I need a brighter pocket light. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My EDC right now is a Streamlight Microstream. I love the size, weight, price and the fact that it takes a single AAA battery. What ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: I need a brighter pocket light.

I need a brighter pocket light.

My EDC right now is a Streamlight Microstream. I love the size, weight, price and the fact that it takes a single AAA battery. What I don't like is the light output. I would like to get something a bit brighter. I would also like to stay with as small of a light as possible. I know that small and power generally don't go together so just get me as close as possible.

What do you recommend?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That Streamlight appears to be about a 28 lumen light. That should be easy to top.

Here's my two suggestions, depending on your price point.

Fenix LD12 Approx. $50

Terralux Lightstar 100 Approx. $20

Both are single AA lights, small, easy to EDC and capable of being way brighter than your Microstream.
    joker1, StormRhydr and NightOwl76 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I EDC a Fenix LD10, love it.
    jbum likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

This one looks good, (from a good company), much brighter than yours (53 lumens), is pretty cheap, ($24), and uses 1 AAA.

Inova Xs Flashlight at REI.com

Streamlight Protac 1AA. 50Lumens. Street price should be at or under $40. Love Streamlights.
    CIBMike likes this.
    Glock 19, Glock 27, Glock 30, Mossberg 500, Ruger 10/22, Savage Hog Hunter, Kahr CM9, Beretta M9

More to follow... Its an addiction

Quote Originally Posted by bleys852 View Post
    Streamlight Protac 1AA. 50Lumens. Street price should be at or under $40. Love Streamlights.
    Thanks for the advice. I just ordered one from Amazon! Can't wait to try it out!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member
    B_2keys likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    That Streamlight appears to be about a 28 lumen light. That should be easy to top.

Here's my two suggestions, depending on your price point.

Fenix LD12 Approx. $50

Terralux Lightstar 100 Approx. $20

Both are single AA lights, small, easy to EDC and capable of being way brighter than your Microstream.
    Thanks, I also happened to be in the market for a carry flashlight and ended up ordering a Fenix LD12. Seems fantastic based on the reviews.

I carry a Fenix PD22 at 210 lumens and a bit over 3". Bright as can be with a good strobe.

Dono

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    My EDC right now is a Streamlight Microstream. I love the size, weight, price and the fact that it takes a single AAA battery. What I don't like is the light output. I would like to get something a bit brighter. I would also like to stay with as small of a light as possible. I know that small and power generally don't go together so just get me as close as possible.

What do you recommend?
    Part of the problem, frankly, is that anemic single-AAA power source. Plenty of better options are available. IOW, there's good reason for the CR123A and 18650 type flashlights ... and you've found it.

For the smallest light with some punch, I'd probably recommend the FourSevens Mini ML-X (CR123A). It's got enough light that it can be used tactically in ugly situations with an assailant, though for true SD I'd prefer something even brighter. The Cree XM-L LED makes this little powerhouse go.

If you'd prefer IPX-8 waterproofing, I'd consider the Fenix E15, PD22 or PD12.

ShiningBeam also has several "mini" type lights, as well, which include the IPX-8 waterproofing and ~200+ lumens in a small package.

All of these are under $50 (street).

I've got the FourSevens Mini and the ShiningBeam S-Mini, so I can vouch for their quality and utility. Haven't got a Fenix, but everyone else seems to vouch for those.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Fenix LD12

Parked my Fenix PD32 on the nightstand and replaced it with a Surefire Fury Defender. I've never looked back. It's larger but for me since output and reliability is the focus, it delivers. I have no problem locating those piles of poodle poop on my pre-dawn walks. Lol
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I have a 2 x AA Foursevens pocket light I enjoy a lot. Somewhere around 200 lumens on Max, has strobe, beacon, SOS, high, medium, and low modes. May be a little bigger than you are looking for?

Recently, Foursevens has come out with BURST mode. For lights powered with CR123 batteries, it doubles the output for the first 60 seconds, then reverts to normal power. I'm asking for the Quark Pro QP2L-X for Christmas. It is a 2 x CR123 and puts out 780 lumens in burst mode. Stout for a 4.5 inch long light!
    ccw9mm likes this.

Check out olight i3. Tiny (1 AAA) three modes up to 70 lumens. About $20.

If you want to spend more, Titanium Innovations has aluminum and titanium versions of a single aaa light that produces about 130 lumens. $30 to $60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    If you don't mind Chinese made, the FourSevens Quark Tactical QTLC light is a solid and dependable light at $59.

I bought an earlier generation of this light (the Quark 123 Tactical w/Cree XP-G R5 lamp) in June 2011, and I've been very happy with its performance. At 3.25" x 7/8", a maximum of 205 lumens, with multiple features and programmable configurations and running off a single lithium CR-123A battery, I find it to be very easy to carry and plenty bright for just about any purpose.

I've used it constantly over the last two years and haven't had a lick of trouble. Have a look-see!

Cheers!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links