Emergency Lanterns?

This is a discussion on Emergency Lanterns? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am getting divorced and setting up my new Bachelor Digs and I need a couple small lanterns. I have a new apt in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Emergency Lanterns?

Emergency Lanterns?

So I am getting divorced and setting up my new Bachelor Digs and I need a couple small lanterns.
    I have a new apt in a downtown area and of course want to be prepared. Lots to do before the 1st.
    Brian if your out there your comments are always appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

2. Remove Ads

I've got a handful of decent flashlights, instead. For my money, I'd prefer to have them. They're more portable, easily work with rechargeable batteries, can stand on end to light up a room.

Lots of good flashlights out there, by the way. If going this route, look for ones that have a decent "moonlight" option (very low output mode, such as 3-10 lumens, as well as a middle-level of output, such as 40-80 lumens), and ones that have a flat end on them that'll allow standing them upright. You can always just strap them to any appropriate vertical "hook" (chair back, lamp base) using short strips of velcro. Small, portable, flexible mounting/pointing options, multi-mode, standard batteries. Might be an option, if open to it.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i have tons of flashlights but just one lantern, a Colman north star, the liquid fuel one that can use gasoline. it's very bright and on low it can last all night. Amazon.com: Coleman NorthStar Dual Fuel InstaStart Lantern: Sports & Outdoors
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I have a bunch of candles and flashlights (seriously, get my one of those gigantic bags of unscented tea lights that are like $2), and one lantern. A Streamlight Siege lantern. It is awesome!! Very bright, has a few different brightness settings as well as a red filter setting. The only downside is it taking D cell batteries, but I bought a 12pk and that will last quite a while.

We lost power this summer for a few days due to tornadoes, and I ended up using a bunch of tea lights on plates on different places, as well as a flashlight and it worked quite well. I picked up the lantern after that and have yet to use it for an extended period.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    The tried and true Colemans are tough to beat! I prefer the ones that use propane, they don't soot up as much as the white gas mantles and are easier to light IMHO. Be sure to get a hard case for them to avoid broken glass. Good luck!
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Catch the wave. Go with Coleman LED lanterns.

They take a lickin' and keep on ticking. Seriously, the LED lantern puts out a lot of light, is non toxic and safe for indoor use, the LED uses very little power so you have long battery life, etc.

My background: I grew up with gas coleman lanterns. I still have em, and they still work. But say you want to look at your car engine at night, or something where you dont want a flame around. Then you dont want a gas powered anything.

Also, you can safely store batteries in your home for long periods of time, but not so with gas.

For most things the new coleman LED lanterns beat the gas powered ones hands down. And are more durable. I have had them fall off the roof of my car while loading kayaks, and still work. Not one thing broke on them. And thats happened more than once.

Btw, they are $22 at walmart. And look retro cool. Coleman LED Classic Lantern - Walmart.com

VIP Member
    Our Coleman is the old gas fired kind. It is fantastic, but I really like the idea of battery powered even if you do have to use 4 big D batteries in the thing.

We do not shop at wworld...........ever..........period.

Found the same thing on Amazon

Amazon.com: Coleman 4D XPS Classic Personal Size LED Lantern: Sports & Outdoors

Sale price, free shipping for me because of Prime membership. AND since I signed up for the Amazon "smile" program, the NRA gets a small commission on everything I buy. You can sign up for the Amazon SMILE program also.............

Gonna order one right now.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure what the OP is seeking. If he means emergency lighting for his apartment, or if he means an emergency
    lantern for outdoors or camping.

Here's what I have at home, and it works fairly well for emergency lighting at home.

Both computers and peripherals are are supplied through uninterruptible power supplies. When the power goes we turn the electronics off in an orderly manner and there is plenty of juice left in the back up batteries to run LED lighting or even Compact
    Fluorescent lamps for quite some time.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Sportsman's Guide has a deal right now, Kerosene lamps 4 for under $20. Not as bright as Coleman, but priced well. also don't have mantles to replace. DR

For when you're home, I'd go with kerosene lamps...very economical!
    StormRhydr likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You would not believe the number of people who dont have a clue what those are. I agree with you, though. They are great, especially in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    For when you're home, I'd go with kerosene lamps...very economical!

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Our Coleman is the old gas fired kind. It is fantastic, but I really like the idea of battery powered even if you do have to use 4 big D batteries in the thing.

We do not shop at wworld..............ever........period.

Found the same thing on Amazon

Amazon.com: Coleman 4D XPS Classic Personal Size LED Lantern: Sports & Outdoors

Sale price, free shipping for me because of Prime membership. AND since I signed up for the Amazon "smile" program, the NRA gets a small commission on everything I buy. You can sign up for the Amazon SMILE program also.............

Gonna order one right now.
    HUA
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Take a look at LuminAID

Solar charged, folds to fit in your pocket, holds a charge for months and a lot of output when you inflate the reflector.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

in an emergency I tend to lean towards candles. not only do you get a light but you get a heat source. No need to sorry about batteries dying. I'd wager one of them 3$ candles from walmart will give more light time wise than a 4 pack of AA. I've had one burn about 2 days. Then there is all the things you can do with glass in an emergency. cut things, throw on the floor for a early warning system.

My lantern doesn't get much use but it is some cheapo one from Wal-Mart I've used a handful of times and I still haven't had to change the batteries. Maybe 3-4 hours of use in it so far during the 3 years I've had it. takes 4 d's btw.

I lost power yesterday. I immediately grabbed my Coleman dual fuel. I have several old kerosene lamps my family used back in the day but they're no match for the bright white light of my Coleman. The Coleman is more portable and has better stability so it's less of a fire hazard. Smells less too. Between my Coleman and a little Fenix PD32 I keep on my nightstand I had my generator up and running in no time. Of course I'll not be parting with my old kerosene lamps and heaters anytime soon.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links