does anyone here not use night sights on their ccw?

This is a discussion on does anyone here not use night sights on their ccw? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ive been doing alot of thinking about what sights to get for my 1911 and ive reached an impasse,namely, whether to go tritium or fiber ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: does anyone here not use night sights on their ccw?

ive been doing alot of thinking about what sights to get for my 1911 and ive reached an impasse,namely, whether to go tritium or fiber optic. i can say that my thinking so far is telling my i could get far more use out of the fiber optic than the night sights but theres always that once in a lifetime chance i would need night sights and not have them. so im looking for input from all of you on which way would you go. thanks everyone
    cltyus1, gatorbait51 and ArmyCop like this.

I have night sights on most of mine (J-frame doesn't have night sights).

Have you looked a Truglo TFOs? They have tritium and fiber optics.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I have gone away from night sights on most of my firearms. In reality if there is enough light to identify your target you can probably see the sights. If you can't see the sights it is likely too dark to properly identify the target. Not true in every situation, but in most.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I have night sights on most of mine (J-frame doesn't have night sights).

Have you looked a Truglo TFOs? They have tritium and fiber optics.
    YES ^^^^^To the above ^^^^^^

And adding: I use standard tritium but if I got a new gun I might get the combo units. I put thick dots of Glo-on paint on my S&W 686 so if I remember to leave it under a bright light for an hour or so before going to bed it also has "night sights". Haven't done that with the j frame though.
    gatorbait51 and GhostMaker like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    nah, i just paint the irons. if it's so dark that i can't see the sights then i have no business shooting. i had a couple guns with tritium sights but i don't like the way they look during the day and at night the rear sights are distracting because they appear bigger and brighter then the front.

some companies do offer just the front dot or a large bright front dot with a smaller/dimmer or different color rear.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    My Glock 19 has Trijicons, my 19L has a DeltaPoint, and my two M&P's (my most recent edc's) have factory sights with the front sights re-colored with white glossy fingernail polish. Since I carry a flashlight, there really is no need for night sights.
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I have gone away from night sights on most of my firearms. In reality if there is enough light to identify your target you can probably see the sights. If you can't see the sights it is likely too dark to properly identify the target. Not true in every situation, but in most.
    I agree. Once considered night sights almost mandatory, but no longer. I do, however, put CT lasers on all my carry sidearms.
    gatorbait51, squid86 and wdbailey like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

This probably won't help you much, but, fwiw , I have TFO's on my Glock and really like them.

But my Colt 1911 has Novak fiber optics and I like them also.

But I really like the sight picture of the TFO sights a little more.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    This probably won't help you much, but, fwiw , I have TFO's on my Glock and really like them.

But my Colt 1911 has Novak fiber optics and I like them also.

But I really like the sight picture of the TFO sights a little more.
    would you mind posting a pic of that colt? thats the exact setup i was looking at except i was thinking about going adjustable lo-mount sights on my para
    gatorbait51 likes this.

No night sights on any of my guns although I may consider it at some point.

Muzzle flash should light things up nicely...

Seriously, at low light, defensive distances, I will probably be point shooting anyway. At least initially.
    gatorbait51 and Hopyard like this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Distinguished Member
    One of my guns came factory equipped with night sights. I guess they're okay, but they really don't inspire me enough to have them installed on any more of my guns.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Lead Moderator
    I have one pistol with night sights. I added the glow on paint to others , but rely on a white light to ID a target before shooting anyway.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Agreed on the flashlights; I figure my Surefire (or whatever bright light I happen to have on my person) will provide a good sight picture. I don't have illuminated sights on any of my handguns. If that's a mistake, though, I'd be glad to be corrected - it's a very good question.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    After the first shot them there night sights won't be that helpful. I wonder how many people have shot their handguns in the dark.

When people first get firearms they think about lasers and it's tempting. Then you realize that waiting on a laser, being distracted by one is not a good thing.

In the event of a real ambush, highly chaotic shooting in self-defense, you don't need to worry about getting an accurate shot, you just want to be sure you're not shooting an innocent person (family member sneaking back in the house, for example).

Night sights won't help you distinguish between family members and the true BG.

And having stuff on your gun won't be of any help, and neither will drawing your firearm quickly.

Having thought about this a lot, I've concluded that there are really two important things about using a handgun:
    1) Only shoot to stop the threat in the gravest extreme
    2) Have your firearm with you

The other two things are:
    1) Try to partner up
    2) Don't shoot the wrong person
    BurgerBoy and Hopyard like this.

Theory is, if you have time to aim you have time to avoid the situation, meaning in court, you lose!!!!!!!1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links