Securing Firearms in Apartment

This is a discussion on Securing Firearms in Apartment within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello guy's, I have learned a TON here, thanks again for that. I really need some suggestions, I am getting divorced & moving to an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Securing Firearms in Apartment

Hello guy's,

I have learned a TON here, thanks again for that. I really need some suggestions, I am getting divorced & moving to an apartment. Of course when you own your home you can drill anywhere you want and that's that, obviously in an Apt. that's not the case. I only have 3 pistols at this time and one is always on my body, but I intend to expand on that as well as buy the rifle & shotgun I have always wanted. So do I just buy a cabinet/safe and bolt it into the closet and not say anything? Do I ask the rental agent and risk her giving me a hard time about it? This is New York State! Speaking of NYS I am more worried about being viewed as having not taken appropriate safety measures than the loss of my pistols. One of my Firearm Instructors has a safe bolted to a large dresser? Any input would be greatly appreciated, I am moving in on 1 December.

Thank You

Follow your state laws in regards to storing firearms.

As far as the apartment is concerned, don't tell them anything about owning guns. It's none of their business and if it's legal there's no reason to tell them. If you're not worried about theft, then don't worry about bolting it down. I don't know how many guns you have, but a simple stack on safe placed in a closet with a locking door knob would be enough for me. If your apartment is on a second or higher story, I wouldn't want to drag an 800 pound safe up the stairs, which is why I suggest the stack on.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Monster underbed safe

Go with the Stack-On IWC if you are handy with drywall so you can patch the hole in the wall when you leave. That is if your worried about theft. Out of sight out of mind. You can cover it with artwork or a mirror on hinges like I did.

Of course they come in all sizes. Here is a smaller Stack-On IWC
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Monster underbed safe
    If you ask my daughter, she'll explain to you that the Monster under the bed is anything but safe.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Go with the Stack-On IWC if you are handy with drywall so you can patch the hole in the wall when you leave. That is if your worried about theft. Out of sight out of mind. You can cover it with artwork or a mirror on hinges like I did.<snip>
    If you're going to do something like that, consider this as well:

Products | Tactical Walls
    BadgerJ and saigaguy like this.

As pittypat21 said, follow all applicable laws and do not inform your landlord as there is no need.

Check your lease agreement. Are you allowed to make basic modifications such as using nails to hang pictures? Worst case, I imagine you're out your security deposit. Just patch the hole(s) when you leave and you should be fine. The only hiccup I can picture is a landlord inspection. I highly doubt they'd go into closets unless you're a total slob and aren't taking care of the place.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Be aware, the complex staff can and will be in and out of your apartment more than you would have ever guessed... and the worse thing, you will never know.

I would limit my purchases until I could get into a place where I owned all the keys! (or store them else where)

don't worry about a few drilled holes. a little compound and paint will take care of it in 10 minutes.
    saigaguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Be aware, the complex staff can and will be in and out of your apartment more than you would have ever guessed... and the worse thing, you will never know.

I would limit my purchases until I could get into a place where I owned all the keys! (or store them else where)
    I guess that depends where you live. In Florida, that's violates the tenants rights. Your landlord must give ample notice that they'll be entering your apartment and for what reason. Via a quick googling it appears there's nothing like that in SC landlord/tenant laws.
    Also, a cheap nanny cam fixes the problem of never knowing when they're in your apartment.
    pittypat21 and Sarge65 like this.

Thanks for the valuable input. The in wall cabinets are really nice but more work than I want, The Monster looks great its on wishlist. I think I am going to buy a smaller cabinet that I can screw in/down in bedroom closet, plus change door knob so I can lock that also. This set up should do just fine for now with minimal touch ups when I move.

Thank You Again, You Guy's are GREAT!

A lot would depend on what type of apartment complex is involved. When I lived in an apartment it was a high rise about 12 stories. I was on fourth floor. There were stairwells but it would be hard to get something like a safe up or down the stairs. There was a desk in lobby with person there 24/7. They would notice people moving and expected that when you moved stuff, you arranged for the service elevator - management had the key for service elevator. If people used the regular elevators to move the person at desk would see this happening and stop them as regular elevators were not to be used for this purpose.

During this time I had a treadloc upright safe, which I think was just under 200 pounds. Easy to move with dolly on service elevator. However, hard to get down stairs and if used regular elevator would be seen.

Something like this in 200 pound range gives you a lot of protection if you are on an upper floor and have staff person in lobby. And a 200 pound safe is not that heavy to have structural concern about the building being able to handle it. I never mentioned what I stored in safe. If I was asked I would simple say have some valuables, that I want to keep safe. And a good deadbolt on your door, esp a steel door, give you a lot of protection in a high rise. People are not going to hang around trying to pick a lock where there is traffic. And people rarely climb up several stories to break in a window.

And any safe can be make heavier by placing lead, as in lead shot or bullets, on the bottom.

So my advice is to first chose your apartment complex with a view to security.

Excellent point Jack, thank you. Too late for building I am on second floor of a three story, no live security but 24 hour video. I wasn't thinking about weight but the 1500 + rounds of .45 ACP I keep on hand will certainly add to the challenge of trying to move anything!

Thanks Again.

I've seen the movies. You're supposed to hide your guns around your place in case a Mexican Drug Lord and his underlings or the Yakuza comes after you. Yanno, one in the fridge, one in the back of the toilet tank, under the gravel of the aquarium, etc...
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    I've seen the movies. You're supposed to hide your guns around your place in case a Mexican Drug Lord and his underlings or the Yakuza comes after you. Yanno, one in the fridge, one in the back of the toilet tank, under the gravel of the aquarium, etc...
    Never thought about that scenario! I better be careful! On a serious note, I just bought a shoulder holster, I usually do not carry at home, jeans off no pistol. But in my new place I am gonna stay armed even in shorts/sweats. Hope it works for me, just arrived last night & I haven't even put it together yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links