Thoughts on small (non-long-gun) cabinet safes?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on small (non-long-gun) cabinet safes? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a use for a smaller gun safe now, just curious what others' thoughts are. I know those like the Graffunders and Fort Knox' ...

Thread: Thoughts on small (non-long-gun) cabinet safes?

Thoughts on small (non-long-gun) cabinet safes?

I have a use for a smaller gun safe now, just curious what others' thoughts are. I know those like the Graffunders and Fort Knox' are built like tanks. My application doesn't require that. In fact, I thought about going to Lowes or somewhere to grab one of the home safes they offer, but something just doesn't hit me right about them and every one I have come across says specifically it is not to hold firearms. I walked in to Gander Mountain looking at them (Centry Safe I believe is what I was looking at) and the store even had a sign on a pedestal noting, in the firearms section, that those safes were not "gun safes".

My big cabinet safe is made by Liberty and is adequate for what I have it for. I'm thinking one of the smaller Home Safes would work for my application - like the 8 or 12 CuFt. Any thoughts? Are there any others in the sub $1000 range that would work?

2. Remove Ads

I'm not an expert, but i think you can use them for whatever you want. I'm sure it is just some liability they are trying to avoid by saying it is not for guns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I have two safes...a tall Liberty, and a short Browning.
    If you want a small/short safe, you still should get the heavier, solid, fire protected safe that you can bolt to the floor.
    The smaller, light metal safes you see for very little money only provide those breaking in...with a 'metal carrying case' to walk away with your firearms.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you want a small/short safe, you still should get the heavier, solid, fire protected safe that you can bolt to the floor.
    The smaller, light metal safes you see for very little money only provide those breaking in...with a 'metal carrying case' to walk away with your firearms.OMOYMV

Exactly my thoughts.

I have looked at the GunVaults, and similar units (in fact, I have a GunVault Nano 300 or whatever it is), and they are a joke. They aren't "safes" at all. I need something with some fire protection and such a unit that would survive a "smash and grab" break-in or a tornado. I don't need it bomb-proof to where someone would have to sit at it for an hour with a torch and other tools to cut in to it. I have power in the big one, I'm not sure if I want to go that route with the small one, but at least if it had an access/outlet mounting location to run power to it that would be cool.

My mounting idea is a steel frame that fits the space I am putting it, rather than directly bolting to the floor. That way I can do it without holes, yet having the safe not able to be "moved".

Take a look at monster underbed safe

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, are you looking to secure your guns from thief or to keep the kids from getting hold of them? For thieves, you need a gun safe. Almost any safe or decent locker will keep your kids out. Most burglars don't come in prepared to crack a safe of any type, only take it if not bolted down. They want in and out quickly with minimal noise--which a sledgehammer and crowbar ain't.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gun1 View Post
    Exactly my thoughts.

I have looked at the GunVaults, and similar units (in fact, I have a GunVault Nano 300 or whatever it is), and they are a joke. They aren't "safes" at all. I need something with some fire protection and such a unit that would survive a "smash and grab" break-in or a tornado. I don't need it bomb-proof to where someone would have to sit at it for an hour with a torch and other tools to cut in to it. I have power in the big one, I'm not sure if I want to go that route with the small one, but at least if it had an access/outlet mounting location to run power to it that would be cool.

My mounting idea is a steel frame that fits the space I am putting it, rather than directly bolting to the floor. That way I can do it without holes, yet having the safe not able to be "moved".
    Next point...of my two safes, I purchased the short one first...wish I would have only purchased the one taller one, and a bigger one at that.
    Always buy bigger than you think that you will need...you will eventually use it...pistols, long guns (in your future), important papers, wife's jewelry, precious metals, mother-in-law's picture, etc.
    I haven't bolted either of my safes down, but with the ammo and guns inside, it would take a 10 guys and a dog to even begin to move them...OK, the small safe, four guys and a dog.
    No one can afford a $1,200-$1,800 safe until they lose $3,000 worth of goods. Whenever we leave the house, it's really a great feeling to know that certain items are well protected.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links