Defensive Carry banner

Winter Gloves

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  LoveLeather 
#1 ·
Gloves - thin enough but warm - draw and fire

Anyone know of a particularly good brand of glove which is thin enough to allow you to draw and fire your weapon, yet also fairly warm??

#2 ·
I went to REI last week looking for a pair of thin, warm gloves. They had a couple of different possibilities. I ended up going with a pair of Black Diamond Powerstretch gloves ($20). They're pretty light and thin enough to allow me to easily manipulate all the controls on my USP. I shot with them yesterday, no problems. I've generally found them warm enough in temps down to the 30s and high 20s. My hands did get a little cold yesterday morning when it was in the low 20s, but they're thin enough that I just put on a heavier set of gloves right over the Black Diamonds.

#5 ·
I use either Damascus or Hatch gloves . They are pricey, but worth it for warmth and protection. the ltest pair I bought have Spectra in em for cut resistance.

#10 ·
I use these as well. No, not incredibly warm, but they do the job for me.

Get the all black ones by the way. Bright red is bad and looks incredibly stupid if your not working on the car.

#7 ·
I just bought two pair. I agree that Hatch makes some nice gloves designed for shooting and duty use.

First pair are Hatch SKG100 street guard with kevlar.

http://www.streichers.com/ProductDe...nd Gloves&Category=GLOV_SHOOT&Prod=HAT-SGK100

Second pair are the Hatch Elite Marksman with posi grip.

http://www.streichers.com/ProductDe...and Gloves&Category=GLOV_SHOOT&Prod=HAT-EM007

Both had nice inventory on them at the time I orderd them but now say "out of stock" on both of them in all sizes. You can find Hatch gloves online at most all tactical, 5.11 type sites.

Ti.

#8 ·
Different Point Of View...

I would hate to be wearing gloves and 'having' to shoot. Hopefully, the dirtbags won't be out in the 'teens or below'. If I were just out and about, I'd keep my hands in my pockets...

It would not be a comfortable feeling for me...

ret:urla9ub:

#9 ·
I would hate to be wearing gloves and 'having' to shoot.
Well, you could go with the technique that Massad Ayoob described cops in Alaksa using, "They learned to fit the gloves just snugly enough to stay in place, but loosely enough that they could be flung clear, or the officer could at least raise the hand, sink his teeth into the end of the glove fingers, and jerk a bare hand clear to operate the gun."

That said, before this weekend I was worried that gloves would impair my shooting or make it difficult to manipulate my pistol. For me, the gloves I bought worked fine and I was able to shoot, reload, and clear jams with no difficulty.

#11 ·
I currently wear a pair of Hatch neopream gloves but am ordering a pair of Blackhawk's gloves that my former team members swear by. However the best I've ever had are military flight gloves. Hatch now makes them where they are not so long and the do a decent job of keeping me warm.

#12 ·
For some reason most gloves that are used for cross-country skiing will fit that bill.

I'm currently using a pair by Dynastar, they are fairly warm and pass enough tactile sensation so that I can not only do everything I need to with a weapon, but get car keys out of my pants pocket without removing them if needed.

#13 ·
As you know, in Kansas it is not yet legal to carry a CCW weapon. With that said, I was walking my rounds where I work and I got to thinking that the gloves I have now, while warm, would probably be too thick for having comfortable "play space" between the trigger and trigger guard.

With that thought I figured I'd ask the people on this message forum what gloves they wear while carring a weapon. I've got a feeling I'll end up taking advice of local LEO as to what they wear...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.