All this talk about flashlights...recommend me a flashlight too please.

This is a discussion on All this talk about flashlights...recommend me a flashlight too please. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been skimming through a few other threads about flashlights and maybe it's because Christmas is coming and a flashlight is the perfect gift to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: All this talk about flashlights...recommend me a flashlight too please.

I've been skimming through a few other threads about flashlights and maybe it's because Christmas is coming and a flashlight is the perfect gift to add to your list for a stocking stuffer seems as though everyone is looking for a new light.

I thought I'd ask what light you'd recommend I get for EDC at work.

Basically after researching I've come up with a few things I'd be looking for.

1. Button on the tail of the light. Momentary on and constant.
    2. Belt clip with lens facing down.
    3. Adjustable output
    4. CR123a batteries or the 18650
    5. Must be Waterproof

The more compact the better I'd most likely carry it clipped to my pocket or on my belt. I will be using this as my EDC for at work at a lumber yard (I start early and must check trucks in the dark). Must be rugged and durable. I'd like to just keep it simple and inexpensive (under $40).
    Last edited by guitarzNgunz; November 27th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Streamlight. Whichever one meets your battery, output, size needs. Love my Protac 2L. 2 CR123, 200+ lumens with strobe and low. Paid around $45 if I remember right.

ProTac® Series - ProTac® 2L | Streamlight
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    Glock 19, Glock 27, Glock 30, Mossberg 500, Ruger 10/22, Savage Hog Hunter, Kahr CM9, Beretta M9

More to follow... Its an addiction

This doesn't quite meet all your criteria but it is a heck of a flashlight, regardless! MonsterFlashlight.com I got one a while back and love it. Mine is just on-off and has a wide BRIGHT beam. You can get different sizes with more features and narrower-focused beams if you want. I also have a rechargeable battery and charger that comes with it. I wanted something bright. It's like turning on THE SUN!!! Well made and the manufacturer goes by "flashlight freak" so that gives you some idea of what's in store for your flashlight needs on this sight. Check them out. I really like my simple unit, but I'm sure you could find something smaller or larger and with different/more options to suit you. Good luck. Oh, and the on/off button on the tail of the light glows a soft green so it's easy to find.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

My wife and I carry Olight MX20 Warrior lights. They meet all your criteria, and are in their 3rd year of daily, trouble-free service. We use the 18650 rechargeable batteries with a two-cell, quick-charger. The lights come with a lanyard, or a ballistic nylon holster, replacement o rings, and extra rubber tail cap. They can also be weapon-mounted if desired, using 1" rings.

Military & Police (M Series) | Olight USA
    guitarzNgunz and BadgerJ like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I second recommendations of olight, I have a variety or their lights (utility, pocket tac, and owb/weapon mounted)
    Use an 18650(s) rechargable on my bigger sizes and rcr123a (3.0v) in my smaller ones, or use primary cells...
    These lights take a beating whether in a pocket, on the front of a gun or bouncing around or being dropped

For your uses, a m20 variant or a t20 with clip would be my first recommendations

Also, streamlight, 4sevens, Fenix, or power tac. Have some good offerings as well, I am simply less familiar with them, because once I found olights to hold up I just standardized brand

Also, look into the nebo redline if it's primarily a work light, as they use aaa's

Remember also, 1 is none, and 2 is 1... Better to have extra lights and batteries for those times a cell dies or when you forgot to recharge

Ps. I am in no way affiliated with olight, just a major fan that is a flashlight junkie
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bleys852 View Post
    Streamlight. Whichever one meets your battery, output, size needs. Love my Protac 2L. 2 CR123, 200+ lumens with strobe and low. Paid around $45 if I remember right.

ProTac® Series - ProTac® 2L | Streamlight
    I was considering this exact model. I'm just debating between the Protac 2L and the Protac 1AA. I'm not sure which one would be the money saving option with battery purchasing. I would be using the Lithium AA's if I got the PT-1AA because I would be carrying at work in the cold. I would be using this light everyday for checking loads on trucks at work which would be about 5 mins everyday. Would either of these models be okay with rechargeable batteries? Which is more cost efficient over time?
    BadgerJ likes this.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    I have a streamlight PROTAC1L that I have carried in my pocket for about two years now with no problems,with daily functions checks and occasional use I have only changed the batteries twice,this light ....the the whole Protac line is well worth the price.Small durable ,very bright for the size.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    I was considering this exact model. I'm just debating between the Protac 2L and the Protac 1AA. I'm not sure which one would be the money saving option with battery purchasing. I would be using the Lithium AA's if I got the PT-1AA because I would be carrying at work in the cold. Would either of these models be okay with rechargeable batteries? Which is more cost efficient over time?
    If you are looking for cost efficiency over time you should probably go with one of the AA models.
    The easy way is always mined.

I'd fight ya for my Fenix PD22. I think it's the perfect EDC light.
    BadgerJ likes this.

I'm considering the Streamlight Protac 2L, Streamlight Protac 1AA, Fenix PD35, and now also the Olight M20 R5, and the T20. Is the T20 discontinued because I don't see it on the Olight website only the T15? And also is Olight made in the USA? How is their warranty/customer service?

Thanks for all the replies guys you are very helpful I appreciate it.
    Last edited by guitarzNgunz; November 28th, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
    CIBMike likes this.

Just ordered a a bunch of Fenix E01's for Christmas gifts, a Fenix E15, and I'm asking the wife for the Streamlight Protac 2L for Christmas. I think my flashlight addiction has begun! At least it's cheaper than my firearm addiction...for now anyways!

although this doesn't meet your criteria i really like my maglite xl 200. its really a great light for the price.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Just ordered a a bunch of Fenix E01's for Christmas gifts, a Fenix E15, and I'm asking the wife for the Streamlight Protac 2L for Christmas. I think my flashlight addiction has begun! At least it's cheaper than my firearm addiction...for now anyways!
    Good thread. You posted a great OP. You detailed your needs and your use. That's key - it's hard to help on those 'tell me which light to buy' lol.

Rechargeable LED Flashlights | LED-Resource

Oh, I would seriously consider asking your company to help by purchasing a supply of batteries if you buy your flashlight. You could say 'give me 'x' batteries a month allowance' because I'm using this on the job only. OR, if you itemize and you could buy your own and deduct them as an expense. Not much but hey, it's not right you have to buy your own equipment. :(

My EDC today and most days is my streamlight microstream. Tail button , easy to get battery ( no not the battery you stated but you can get a battery at 7-11 can you the others?) and plenty bright.....owning one small flashlight BTW is just wrong. They get lonely. They are good friends with Fenix and Olight so get some to keep the streamlight company.

Go Seahawks!

I was considering this exact model. I'm just debating between the Protac 2L and the Protac 1AA. I'm not sure which one would be the money saving option with battery purchasing. I would be using the Lithium AA's if I got the PT-1AA because I would be carrying at work in the cold. I would be using this light everyday for checking loads on trucks at work which would be about 5 mins everyday. Would either of these models be okay with rechargeable batteries? Which is more cost efficient over time?
    I didn't really do much battery research when I bought mine. I wanted specific light output and all of them that fit my size requirement and light output took the same battery. That being said, the first set of batteries went pretty fast (about 6 weeks) because it was new and I was looking for reasons to use my new light. After that I usually cant remember the last time I changed it when I am changing them. 5 minutes a day would probably not make for a fast battery drain and the cost of CR123's while higher than average AA, is not what I would consider high. Pick the output and size light you like and then stock up on batteries (even if you run rechargeable, get a few spares) and you should be good to go.
    Glock 19, Glock 27, Glock 30, Mossberg 500, Ruger 10/22, Savage Hog Hunter, Kahr CM9, Beretta M9

More to follow... Its an addiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links