Why carry a flashlight?

Why carry a flashlight?

This is a discussion on Why carry a flashlight? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep reading about people carrying flashlights all the time. While not knocking those that do, I wonder why. A flashlight is more weight to ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Why carry a flashlight?

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Why carry a flashlight?

I keep reading about people carrying flashlights all the time. While not knocking those that do, I wonder why.

A flashlight is more weight to lug around.
    Most people work during daylight hours.
    Personally, I am always near my vehicle and have two inside it. I need one less than a half dozen times each year.

That said, I have a five-D cell flashlight in my car. It will shine a light well past where I need to see. Also I have a very nice pocket light (bought thru NRA) and it stays in my door panel and is handy for reading VIN numbers, checking under car seats and such. Still neither gets used enough for me to carry them all the time and my vehicle is always within about 50 feet from me.

I carry a sidearm that is not light, a couple key rings that has multiple keys on each, two writing pens, a note pad, sunglasses, a cell phone (has a flashlight option), a pocket camera, a digital voice recorder and a few other things that are all used almost daily.

What would I use a flashlight for that I would need to carry one daily?
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Even during the day sometimes one needs to see in low-light conditions. My light is very light... I don't consider it burdensome at all to carry.

And what if you were unexpectedly out when it got dark? I used to think a light wasn't necessary, but I am surprised by how often I use it.

ProTac® Series - ProTac® 2L | Streamlight
    surefire7 and GoldwingElf like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

People that carry flashlights are very bright.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

I carry a flashlight in my pocket all the time. I would use it to blind someone if needed but in reality I use it everyday. I prob use my light as much as my pocketknife. I use it at work to read vin numbers. I use it at home to find the lost remote. I use it while grilling. While I think it has advantages for defense in low light or even normal light applications I think you would be suprised how many times you would use one as well.
    brocktice likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Every day carry of a flashlight in many ways is no different than carrying a firearm ,it is unlikely that you will need your pistol but it is with you in preparation of the unexpected.Most days I don't need my light,i function test it in the morning put in my pocket and that's the end of it ......but every once in a while I end up needing it and it is with me,not in the truck,or house right on my person just like my pistol.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I keep reading about people carrying flashlights all the time. While not knocking those that do, I wonder why.

A flashlight is more weight to lug around.
    Most people work during daylight hours.
    Personally, I am always near my vehicle and have two inside it. I need one less than a half dozen times each year.
    Everyone's lifestyle and situations can be different.

Myself, I'm out and about quite often outside daylight hours. And I'm often inside of buildings that would be fairly dark without electric lighting. You never know what's going to transpire, in this life. Having a flashlight nearby can be very useful, as we all know. If a situation blows sideways right in front of us, having one in hand can make a difference.

That said, I'm often without one on me as well. Nearby, yes. But on me, only sometimes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For me, three reasons. First and most importantly, if it's dark, to positively identify a threat before shooting. There was a story discussed here just recently about a guy who shot and killed someone in his yard when he could only see a silhouette, and it turned out to be an unarmed, confused elderly man (I believe an Alzheimer's sufferer) who had gotten lost.

Second, it's my intermediate force option. The light is bright enough to disrupt vision in daylight, and certainly to effectively blind a BG at night; the flared bezel can serve as a striking weapon if necessary. And in gun free zones, I believe it's the best tool to give one a realistic chance (though hardly a guarantee) of interfering with a gunman if he's outside contact distance. It's hard to shoot accurately when dazzled by a flashlight.

Third, it's just handy to have around. I use it for mundane tasks all the time.
    ccw9mm, manolito, tdave and 1 others like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Small flash lights and some sort of pocket knife are of more utility than just about anything else I carry.

With that said, if you have never had a moment when you really wished you had a light that wasn't tucked away in a car or utility drawer at home, well then you probably don't need one.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I carry a flashlight for the same reason I carry a Bic lighter. I neither smoke nor live in the dark, but if the need arises for a fire or something to light a dark space I'll have the tools I need. I don't go into the expensive tactical lights and whatnot. My light is barely larger than the AAA battery that powers it, but it does provide a light source when needed. As for the Bic, well I think we all know what a Bic lighter looks like.
    NONAME762 and NewportReds like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have never felt the need to carry a flashlight on me or mounted on a gun. I have several throughout every room in the house and in my vehicles for emergencies.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

My Surefire LX2 is my constant companion. I can't imagine life w/o it.
    surefire7 and ex95B10 like this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

Like others a light and a knife are part of my EDC, I can't tell you how many times I've used both just in normal activities, from opening boxes to getting a better look at some wiring under my desk. Then there's always the occasional power outage.

I too carry a Surefire LX2, low power for routine use, high power for "just in case".

Chuck
    ccw9mm, squid86 and brocktice like this.
    homo homini lupus est

I carry a Surefire E2E in my left cargo pocket whenever I wear something with cargo pockets. Barring that, I have a small blue light on my keyring. Both lights have been invaluable many, many times. From power outages to getting the key in the lock at night to finding something that I've dropped. A pocket knife and a flashlight should be things that EVERYONE carries daily.

Having a flashlight in your vehicle for emergencies will do you no good when you're at the back of the store and the power goes out.
    squid86, tdave, NONAME762 and 1 others like this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I've seen a similar argument posed over "why carry a lighter if ya don't smoke?". Ya may never need something to make fire with, but why not?

Lead Moderator
    Try being in the back of a large store/building with few windows up front. Or even a restroom . Emergency lights don't always work. Daily tasks sometimes require more light than sunlight provides. A fuze that needs replaced in a vehicle or finding something dropped under a shelf. A light is a handy device. Carry or don't , it's up to you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links