Help me decide on an EDC pocket rocket handheld flashlight...

This is a discussion on Help me decide on an EDC pocket rocket handheld flashlight... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm torn between a couple of flashlights, the Streamlight Protac 2L 260 lumens 4.68" length and .90" head diameter weighs 2.8oz and the Fenix PD-35 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on an EDC pocket rocket handheld flashlight...

Help me decide on an EDC pocket rocket handheld flashlight...

I'm torn between a couple of flashlights, the Streamlight Protac 2L 260 lumens 4.68" length and .90" head diameter weighs 2.8oz and the Fenix PD-35 850 lumens 5.1" length and 1.0" head diameter weighs 3.1oz both run on two CR123a batteries. I'm looking for a light I can comfortably carry everyday for defensive carry, with all the gear I already carry the smaller the better.

So the obvious answer seems as though the Streamlight would be the way to go. But the Fenix has me second guessing being it's not much bigger and packs such a huge punch. The Fenix also can take rechargeable 18650 and rCR123a or primary CR123a's. The Streamlight can only take primary CR123a's.

So I guess my question is, could I comfortably carry the Fenix PD-35? Is there another pocket rocket I should consider? Or should I go with the Streamlight Protac 2L?

Thanks,
    gNg
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

2. Remove Ads

Where do you plan on carrying the flashlight? If it's in the pocket, a 18650 cell light is going to be on the larger size and not something I'd consider pocket carry. A RCR123/CR123 light would be much more compact and comfortable to carry. I currently own a 4Sevens Quark 123 and a 4Sevens Preon (and a bunch of larger lights). I find myself carrying the Preon more often simply because it is so small. Not exactly a defense carry, but it's very convenient.

These are the CR123 lights that I would take a look at. If I was in the market for a small compact tactical light, the Olight M10 would be my first choice.
    Quark 123
    Jetbeam RRT-01
    Sunwayman VR11
    Eagletac D25C
    Olight S10 Baton
    Olight M10 Baton
    Klarus XT1C

One more thing to think about. If you're planning on using Li-Ion batteries, make sure you buy a quality PROTECTED battery (AW) and a quality charger.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I was thinking of carrying it clipped to my pocket but attached to the belt in a holster wouldn't be out of the question especially after what you've said about thickness. That might actually help balance out my daily carry load out with the firearm on the strong side. So would this 18650 battery and charger set be okay as far as protected? Intsun® 2 Pcs UltraFire Protected 18650 4000mAh Rechargeable Batteries Plus Charger - Amazon.com

What is it about the protected ones that is beneficial? What does AW mean? Sorry I'm new to the flashlight lingo.

Thanks for the help!
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    So would this 18650 battery and charger set be okay as far as protected? Intsun® 2 Pcs UltraFire Protected 18650 4000mAh Rechargeable Batteries Plus Charger - Amazon.com

What is it about the protected ones that is beneficial? What does AW mean? Sorry I'm new to the flashlight lingo.
    AW is a brand of battery. Fairly high quality stuff. It's the only 18650 cell that I have.

AW 18650 Protected 3400mAh @ LightHound. Not the least-expensive 18650's on the market, by a long shot, but IMO it's hard to do better on the performance or quality. Have dozens of them and have never had one fail to impress. Have spoken with many who have dozens (or more) of them and can't recall ever hearing of one failing. Of course, with that short-term $10 pricing at that link you provided, it's going to be hard to consider other alternatives.

Here are some discussion threads over at CandlepowerForums that'll help you ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-other-than-AW

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Ah-%28Green%29

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...8650-protected

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...uality-or-Junk

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...0-is-protected

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-ion-Protected

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ted-Fenix-TK35
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    AW is a brand of battery. Fairly high quality stuff. It's the only 18650 cell that I have.

AW 18650 Protected 3400mAh @ LightHound. Not the least-expensive 18650's on the market, by a long shot, but IMO it's hard to do better on the performance or quality. Have dozens of them and have never had one fail to impress. Have spoken with many who have dozens (or more) of them and can't recall ever hearing of one failing. Of course, with that short-term $10 pricing at that link you provided, it's going to be hard to consider other alternatives.

Here are some discussion threads over at CandlepowerForums that'll help you ...

Are there any quality protected 18500's other than AW?

test/Review of Panasonic NCR18650B Protected 3400mAh (Green)

Fenix E35 and Panasonic 18650 protected

Protected 3400mAh 18650 Li-ion Battery...Low Cost = Quality or Junk?

How can I tell if an 18650 is protected?

IMR or Li-ion Protected?

18650's protected...unprotected...Fenix TK35
    Thanks for those links. The only reason I posted that junk from amazon is that is what comes free with the purchase of a Fenix PD-35 I was looking at.

I have the streamlight you reference above. I like the light a lot, but the switch has busted already. It now will only operate on the highest setting so I no longer have the low and strobe setting. Their warranty does not cover the switch either.

Distinguished Member
    I have the Fenix PD 32. Small enough to pocket carry, but good light output.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Sorry I'm new to the flashlight lingo.
    Here is a web site that might assist with some questions, regarding different batteries, charging, risks, etc.

Learn About Batteries @ BatteryUniversity.com

And further info about "protected" battery cells ...

Anatomy Of A Protected Battery
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So would this 18650 battery and charger set be okay as far as protected? Intsun® 2 Pcs UltraFire Protected 18650 4000mAh Rechargeable Batteries Plus Charger - Amazon.com

- When it comes to Li-Ion batteries, you want protected cells. It will minimize the risk of fire or explosion when mishandled or in a faulty charger. The last thing you want is to save a few dollars on a battery when you may be seriously injured or risk a house fire. AW is a brand of battery. Great performers and very high quality. I also have Li-Ion batteries from Eagletac and Fenix. Both are very good and priced competitively.

For chargers, I have a custom charger and also an XTAR VP1. I like the digital voltage display and the options for charging speed. There are other brands like Pila, Fenix and 4Sevens that are high quality chargers.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Just a FYI. GoingGear currently still has their Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale where a lot of lights are on sale.
    Cyber Monday 2013 - 15-55% Off Entire Site - Going Gear

I ordered a Fenix pd 35 and should have it tomorrow morning.

So if I were to get the Fenix PD-35 what would be a good 18650 charger and battery I could get that wouldn't break the bank and be safe to use?

Somewhere in the 48 contiguous states of the USA.
    I recently lost my Preon 2. I intend to try the Sunwayman V11R.

Well I placed my order for the Nitecore P12 I got NITECORE P12 950 Lumens high intensity CREE XM-L2 LED long throw tactical flashlight with Smith & Wesson LED CaraBeamer Clip Light and 2 X EdisonBright CR123A Lithium Batteries Bundle

And
    Nitecore Sysmax I4 Intellicharge i4 version 2, Four Bays universal home/in-car battery charger, Two Nitecore 18650 NL189 3400mAH rechargeable batteries with Smith & Wesson Carabeamer LED Clip Light

I hope I made a good choice! Thanks for all the help.

So if I were to get the Fenix PD-35 what would be a good 18650 charger and battery I could get that wouldn't break the bank and be safe to use?
    I've got an inexpensive one: UltraFire Rapid Charter WF-139, for 2x 3.7V Lithium cells. Was about ~$17, IIRC. It's on the simpler end of the spectrum, without any controls or gauges. Works great.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links