Any body seen this yet?

This is a discussion on Any body seen this yet? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are your thoughts on this? Foursevens.com -Jason...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By CIBMike
  • 1 Post By shadowwalker
  • 1 Post By technomonster
  • 1 Post By Phaedrus
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Phaedrus

Thread: Any body seen this yet?

Any body seen this yet?

What are your thoughts on this?

Foursevens.com

-Jason

2. Remove Ads

Ok. I looked. I liked! Wish there was more $ to spend on such things! I still using plain old MagLights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Looks like a pretty good light ...... buta bit small and too smooth of a surface for effective manipulation in conjunction with a pistol for me personally .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I hate those CR batteries that's why I love the new AA and AAA and the life is longer and I can get them anywhere.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i have a couple, they are good lights for the money.

the color rendition and beam pattern is not quite as good as compared to the surefire lights but they are also half the price.

every once a while they offer "neutral" and "warm" color ones but i never got one, I'm speaking of the standard "cool white" versions.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Looks good! I'm a Surefire guy but I have a few JETBeams and a Fenix or two. I'm no snob- a good light is a good light. I prefer CR123A lights myself since my WMLs and most of my handhelds use them. Generally I buy in bulk online so my stash is at about 30 extras at any given time.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Jab73180 View Post
    What are your thoughts on this?

Foursevens.com
    Given the specs, I prefer the Mini. Have one and like it a lot. For a single CR123A based small flashlight, it's hard to beat.

Though the puny size of the Atom looks enticing, I'd prefer to not have that at the expense of half the output (in lumens, as compared to the Mini).

My preference is for the 18650 platform, instead. I'll accept the larger format in order to get the much greater brightness and duration.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Aren't 18650s expensive? Or do you use rechargeables? If so how are they in the cold? Personally max output is somewhat overrated IMOHO. Lights today are blowtorches! Max lumens isn't a huge issue for me, I value run time and power in the cold more. Of course, ceteris paribus brighter is better.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Aren't 18650s expensive? Or do you use rechargeables? If so how are they in the cold? Personally max output is somewhat overrated IMOHO.
    Yes 18650's are fairly expensive, certainly the good ones are.* Yes, they're rechargeable. They are fine in the cold, at least so far as I have seen (down to ~20F or so).

EDIT: * I should clarify. Expensive initially, sure, particularly when compared to CR123A or other non-rechargeable cells (presuming it's one of the non-recharge capable 4sevens lights). But given the ability to recharge 300+ times without serious degradation of performance, I have a hard time seeing the value of CR123A non-rechargeables by comparison.

Max Output levels on a given light can seem pointless in most situations, I agree. But in a defensive situation, the degree of blinding comes (at least for me) from the brightness and the strobe effects. Doesn't work on me at ~150 lumens or so, but above that it gets fairly effective. I'm sure most folks vary somewhat in how such lighting affects their vision, so who can say what the minimum sufficient lighting level would be for a given BG? Who knows.

But if a SD light can pack 200 well-focused lumens in a package that'll carry well, last awhile and allow recharging, that's for me. So long as electricity exists, I can recharge. About the only real downside is general availability of the 18650 format, which obviously (along with most all the other Li-Ion stuff) isn't anywhere near as available as AA or AAA.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 6th, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Call me old school but I still prefer my Mag Lights, besides in a pinch a nice 3 or 4 D cell light vigorously applied to a BGs head makes an effective social etiquette training aid.
    sdprof likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    I bought this one a while back and ended up giving it to my Nephew at a family dinner and I just recently bought myself another one.
    I really like it as a little pocket camping flashlight that runs on a standard AA battery/batteries.

I will only buy SHTF or flashlights for woods/camping that use common AA or AAA batteries which my little radio and BackTrack also use.

For sure there are members on this forum that know about 100 times more about various assorted flashlights than I do.
    I am not a flashlight aficionado by any stretch of the imagination.
    I really love this little flashlight for the incredibly long moonlight mode that I personally happen to use a lot at night in the woods and also love the fact that I can get directly onto the moonlight mode without blasting the crap out of my night vision.
    Once my particular eyes adjust to darkness I am very happy staying in moonlight mode for misc light needs at night.
    I just really like a lot of the features - the magnet in the tail and the fact that it can be clipped to the brim of one of my dumb looking hats for use as a headlamp if necessary.
    I also am an individual that does not like spending a lot of $$$ on flashlights and this is in the $35.00 & Change range.

I also understand how the different battery types affect flashlight run time especially in MAX lumen mode.
    I very seldom if ever use very bright blinding light at night when camping so I am quite happy with this light using standard AA.
    So...a great little flashlight for living with Mother Nature at night. It works for me.

All of the CREE LEDs are Made In China for every flashlight no matter how much you spend on any given light so as long as the switch is good then (just my humble opinion) one turned Aluminum flashlight body is as good as any other.
    I am sure many will disagree that this one seems very well constructed and I am incredibly happy with it.
    I like the fact that 2 AA batteries will give me a month of moonlight mode for a Bug Out light with decent bright light available as a sporadic option. I already need to pack spare AA in my B.O.B. so that is why I want to stick with those. It's a weight issue with me.

FYI - This (of course) is NOT a Tac lite or suitable for use as a weapon mounted light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200974318130...84.m1439.l2649

CR123a batteries aren't as widely found as AA or AAA but any Wal-Mart will have them. For me they're a good cell since they're good in the cold, have a very long shelf life and have fairly high voltage. Down the road I will probably get something that uses 18650 but I'll have to look at their rate of self discharge first. I agree that a tactical light needs to be pretty powerful but CR123a lights manage 500-1000 lumens, enough for me. I sure can't fault anyone for using the 18650s if there's a light you like for them and if you have a good charger.

They had a big Goal Zero display set up at Costco today. Man, I really would like to get some solar charging stuff. GZ makes very good gear. A couple of watts of solar panel and a charger/inverter could keep you in flashlight and cell phone power indefinitely.
    QKShooter likes this.

Good thing the flashlights I keep in my truck both have lithium batteries (AA in a headlamp and CR123A in the hand held)- it's now -10F!

Links