BearCub flashlight review

This is a discussion on BearCub flashlight review within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some may have seen, that I was the mega lucky recipient of Black Bear's give-away recently. I felt I just had to do a review ...

Thread: BearCub flashlight review

Assistant Administrator

BearCub flashlight review

Some may have seen, that I was the mega lucky recipient of Black Bear's give-away recently. I felt I just had to do a review tho, not being ''Clipse" - may have to just do it my way!

So - this great light arrived today and many thx due to Black Bear for his generosity and prompt shipping once he had received a due battery shipment.

Size is 9 and some inches long, 1 1/8" dia on main tube and head is approx 2 1/4" dia. It's built around a Maglight and is good and solid. Two LI-ion batts inside power the light and it comes with dedicated charger. Easy use switch on side.

I finished work this evening and decided to take a few pics - first two are the flashlight next to the diminutive E1L. So we have 25 lumens vs 220 lumens!

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I set up camera on tripod in my yard and set exposure so I could just see some illumination on my truck at 30 yards. The difference is predictably significant. The slight black area was due to me not having focussed the beam quite right - not a fault.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, I set up a reflector card I use for photo fill-in sometimes and shone both lights at it from about 6 feet away - again setting exposure for the E1L, which is as you'd expect a bit blue. The Cub is as obvious, throwing some useful light!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I checked max throw out back across a big corn field and estimate the throw to be well out there to 100 yards or more. The light is rather like having a smaller dia car headlight, and slight moisture in the air shows the intensity of the beam.

Interestingly - the ''dazzle factor'' is not that many times the E1L - but dazzle is IMO partly down to optics and the small Surefire when right on the eyes is very dazzling. The Cub is too - don't get me wrong but we are comparing apples to oranges regarding actual throw and intensity.

Verdict - a very very nice light to have - and even handy as a blunt force device if really needed! I have a good many lights but this is by far the most powerful yet and if the 1 1/2 hr or so run time is accurate then, pretty darned good duration too. Bulb replacement is easy - just a std five cell item and - the original plastic lens is replaced with a pyrex unit.

Thx again to Black Bear.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Chris pretty well hit everything so i guess i dont need to review mine now i was thinking about it the other night

I've had mine since the tail end of oct and have used it a ton espically taking the dog out

kind of turns the night into day at what shining it at

run time is just about 90 mins

Nice score Chris, I hadn't heard of these before but it's something I might have to look into ... nice truck too!
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Well Jack - after a week now of use and play - I am still impressed and much enjoying having this light. Yet to re-charge tho I suspect cumulative run time to date possibly not yet an hour.

Beauty of this set-up is that the Li-Ions will deliver at high current right up until the small cutout in the cell bases says ''enough'' - to prevent from excessive discharge which, IIRC - would kill a Li-Ion stone dead!

Of course it could be argued that this would cause a sudden failure at the wrong time but, for me anyways - E1L is always on belt and also - it seems the Li-Ions will not memory and so a routine charge well within the runtime limit would seem wise.
    Chris - P95

I hate those Ni-Cads and their memory. I get one or two pics on my digital camera now and have to swap batteries. I'm not up on battery technology so I'm unsure if I should just replace them with the same Duracells (AA) I'm using now or if there's a better option out there.

How do the overall dimensions compare to the Maglights? Looks like the bezel might be a bit bigger but that could just be the perspective of viewing it next to the E1e. And where can these be purchased?
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    And where can these be purchased?
    Jack - from Black Bear - http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/
    How do the overall dimensions compare to the Maglights?
    The casing is itself as I see it a std Maglight - all the changes are within that framework. See first post for approx dimensions.
    I'm not up on battery technology so I'm unsure if I should just replace them
    Don't use std AA alkalines if avoidable Jack - way too costly! Get some NiMh batteries and a charger - and you'll wonder why we ever used NiCads!!

Nickel Metal Hydride cells have between 2 and 3 times the capacity of NiCads - hardly memory at all and now are not too bad for price. An old AA 600Ma NiCad can now be replaced by a 2000 mA NiMh cell. They are good and not anywhere near as pricey as Li-Ions - which are in a league of their own.
    Chris - P95

Thanks Chris. I'm currently using Duracell's Ni-Cad AA rechargables but looks like I'll be replacing them soon with the NiMh. Can't wait for the next gen of rechargable batteries to hit the scene, they'll probably be able to rival Hoover Dam in power output.
    Jack

Links