Rechargeable CR123 batteries

This is a discussion on Rechargeable CR123 batteries within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use the regular throw away kind for flashlights. Can I get any comments on re-chargeables? Thanks...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tokerblue

Thread: Rechargeable CR123 batteries

I use the regular throw away kind for flashlights.

Can I get any comments on re-chargeables?

Thanks
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

You're referring to RCR123 (16340). Lithium Ion batteries are very useful, but you owe it to yourself to read up on the dangers of using them.
    Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely

If you stick with quality protected cells like AW, Eagletac, Fenix, etc. and a quality charger like Pila, Xtar, etc., then the dangers will be minimal. However, I still never leave the batteries unattended while charging.
    StormRhydr and flintlock62 like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    they work and are safe in most lights but they have less run time.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    they work and are safe in most lights but they have less run time.
    - You do lose about 30%-50% of the capacity depending on the mode, but you do also have the benefit of making sure your battery is always charged to max before you need to use it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I've used a trio of AW's for about 4.5 yrs now for my Olight - still working fine.

Switching to 18650 rechargeable batteries was the best choice ever. I've saved so much money. My Nitecore P12 takes either two CR123a's, two RCR123a's, or one 18650

Good advice by tokerblue.

Definitely get a high quality charger and rechargeables.

I have the Nitecore i4 charger. It is safe and well respected among the flashlight community, and affordable. I also have Nitecore 18650 rechargeable batteries which are protected. Also protected and high quality are AW, Fenix, and Eagletac as tokerblue mentioned. Just be careful because some will claim to be protected and are not. Go with a well known name brand.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Switching to 18650 rechargeable batteries was the best choice ever. I've saved so much money. My Nitecore P12 takes either two CR123a's, two RCR123a's, or one 18650

Good advice by tokerblue.

Definitely get a high quality charger and rechargeables.

I have the Nitecore i4 charger. It is safe and well respected among the flashlight community, and affordable. I also have Nitecore 18650 rechargeable batteries which are protected. Also protected and high quality are AW, Fenix, and Eagletac as tokerblue mentioned. Just be careful because some will claim to be protected and are not. Go with a well known name brand.
    Thanks...Could anybody explain the difference between RCR123a's and 18650's,if any.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Thanks...Could anybody explain the difference between RCR123a's and 18650's,if any.
    - 18650 is roughly 2xRCR123. So if a light normally takes 2xCR123, you can most likely use one 18650 cell. It's a little thicker, but a lot of lights have larger cylinders or adapters. The 18650 also has about 1/3 more power than 2xRCR123.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    I use UltraFire ICR123A LifePO4 batteries in place of CR123's in one of my gun lights. They are 3.6V fully charged, but say 3.0V on them which is what CR123's are. 18650's are Lion batteries and are 4.2V fully charged and I think they are considered 3.6V batteries. 16340's are Lion also and 4.2V fully charged and 3.6V nominal. The numbers work like this 18mm = diameter, 65mm = length for an 18650 battery. A 16340 is 16mm = diameter and 34mm = length. I hope this makes a little more sense. When you get into ICR vs IMR and so on, those are the battery chemistry and you will have to do a little research on that if you want to know more. I use 18650's in my electronic cigarettes which I really like to call them PV's or personal vaporizers but I don't think a lot of people know what those are when you call them that. I also use 18650's in some of my flashlights such as the Solarforce L2M which can also take 18350's.

Links