What is the best single AA flashlight for EDC?

This is a discussion on What is the best single AA flashlight for EDC? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have quite a few flashlights for EDC everything from AAA and CR123a's to 18650's but nothing in the AA battery. Things I'm looking for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best single AA flashlight for EDC?

What is the best single AA flashlight for EDC?

I have quite a few flashlights for EDC everything from AAA and CR123a's to 18650's but nothing in the AA battery.

Things I'm looking for in an EDC light are:
    1. Single AA
    2. Waterproof
    3. Durable
    4. Tail Stand Capability
    5. Clicky Tail Cap
    6. Able to run rechargeable batteries. (Particularly Eneloops)
    7. Long Lasting (Power saving low modes)
    8. And of course the brighter the better!

Flashlights I'm considering so far are the Eagletac D25A Clicky http://eagletac.com/html/d25arc/specs.html
    and the Foursevens Quark QPA. http://www.foursevens.com/product_in...oducts_id=3197
    Both of these lights carry a 10 year warranty.

Of these two which do you believe is superior and why?

Are there any others I should consider?

Thanks!
    -gNg-
    Last edited by guitarzNgunz; December 11th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

2. Remove Ads

I'm using a Fenix LD12, which I believe meets all of your requirements. 125 lumens at max brightness, I run mine with Eneloops.

Fenixlight Limited

Actually now that I think of it I'm not 100% sure if it'll stand on its tail. Guess I'll need to experiment later (can't ATM).

I was definitely considering the LD12 but the fact that is does not tail stand was a deal breaker for me. I'll probably still get one in the future but for now I need a few more tail standers for power outages.

I'm still trying to figure out why Fenix doesn't offer more tail standers? I was going to get the new Fenix PD35 but went with the Nitecore P12 instead for the very same reason.
    Last edited by guitarzNgunz; December 11th, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    never heard of Eagletac but i like my 4sevens very much.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    never heard of Eagletac but i like my 4sevens very much.
    Which Foursevens light do you have?

Zebralight SC51 but doesn't meet your #5.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    Zebralight SC51 but doesn't meet your #5.
    I keep hearing people talk about Zebralight. It seems the SC51 is no longer available. I found an SC52 on their website. Comes in a neutral SC52w AA Flashlight Neutral White and a cool white http://www.zebralight.com/SC52-AA-Fl...ite_p_100.html AA Flashlight Neutral White[/url] I might have to reconsider the tail clicky. Those specs are impressive on a single AA! What would be the difference in the cool white and the neutral? What's the better option?

I didn't know they replaced the SC51.
    Here is the best flashlight reviewer I know on YouTube and on CandlePower Forums and here he reviews the SC52 also a video.
    Zebralight SC52 (XM-L, 1xAA, 1x14500) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I carry a Quark AA and love it. Not sure that the new gen regulator will do it, but the AA on a 14500 rechargeable cell puts out ~180 lumens. :-D

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ns_quarkaa.htm

In fact, I liked it so much my nightstand light is a Quark X 123^2. And FWIW my first light was a Fenix TK12. It make me realize the value of a small, yet bright EDC light.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Eagle tac is a first rate light you will not be disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

I have four FourSevens Quarks- two each of the Pro and Tactical series that take the 2 CR123 batteries. They have changed the model numbers over the last couple years, but I started out with an older model Pro and liked it so much that I got a Tactical model (slightly different operating mode and tailswitch- the Tactical has a protruding momentary switch that allows you to "bump" it for just a brief burst of light). The Pro will stand on its tail due to the recessed switch, and allows instant access to various intensities just by bumping the switch after you turn it on.

The Quark Pro QPA is the model that suits your needs. I just order a set of QP2As for my kids for Christmas; they are not as bright as my CR123 lights, but I'm not sure my young-adult kids would keep up with the 123 batteries. I just think the AA format is a little more user-friendly to the non-gear oriented folks , but they are not as bright.

Check FourSevens website- they have really food descriptions and full specs for each light on their sight, and are currently running rotating 24-hour sales; you just might luck out. Two sites that I have used recently are goinggear.com and the-led-warehouse.com (the-led-warehouse is a supporting member here, and may have a 10% off sale going now, see here):

MMU-X3 (1600 lumens!) and MMR-X in stock!).

Amazon also has the new generation "E" suffix lights, which are a little brighter, for $52. This is a pretty good deal.

Whatever you choose, good luck and let us know what you think!
    Regan

Looking again at the ZebraLight offerings, their SC600w MkII L2 18650 XM-L2 flashlight looks pretty impressive. Waterproof, Cree XM-L2 LED, 1000LM claimed, warm/neutral lighting, tail stand.

The SC52w XM-L2 is essentially the AA variant of the same basic SC600w ... but with 280LM claimed, and a bit smaller sizing (due to the AA instead of 18650 cell).

Have heard many good things about the ZebraLight offerings. Haven't yet owned one.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Which Foursevens light do you have?
    the Mini MA and the mini M2A, both are twist on.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have to stick with a Streamlight PT-2AA, it has hi lo and strobe pocket clip long life and 120 lumes I had a single AA and it ate batteries. and it was $30 sorry I could not meet your requirements

I ordered the Foursevens Quark QPA last night from survival-pax FOURSEVENS Quark Pro QPA - Gen2 › Flashlights › Light Sources › Survival-Pax Co. thanks for the help.

Either the Eagletac D25LC2 Clicky (1x18650) or the D25C clicky (1xRCR123a) is next on the list. I've never tried the RCR123a's are they any good? I have the Nitecore i4 charger that can charge them but I've always used primaries for CR123a's are there any negatives to using rechargeable CR123a's? I like the 18650 but it is a bit large for EDC.

Thanks
    -gNg-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links