OC Spray recommendation?

This is a discussion on OC Spray recommendation? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 I like the sprays with the flip top controls. If you watch the video posted by jerkeejoe you can see ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OC Spray recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I like the sprays with the flip top controls. If you watch the video posted by jerkeejoe you can see the camera person try and fail to fire it the first time. I find it easy to fire, but hard to accidentally set off in your pocket, purse, etc. I have more experience with these than the Fox:
    http://www.macebrand.com/
    I like the foam, and carry the 10% at work since I can't CCW. I've never tried the Fox personally, but lots of folks recommnd it every time this question comes up. Don't go cheap and by the little lipstick sprays or pen sprays. They have a range of about 2 feet and no power to the spray. I'll probably try one of the new Kimber sprays that look like the pager. I like what I've seen so far.
    I agree! The very small sprays dont put out enough OC to stop a threat. They often fail and blow back at the user. Kimber Lifeact units fire about a 1/2 ounce of solution in less than a second giving you more than enough ingredient to stop the threat. OC is a distance weapon. Remember to spray and move away from the target at a 90 degree angle. I am a big fan of the kimber units because they wont depressurize, rupture, or leak. You can leave it in your car on a hot summer day without the unit bursting. I also like the way it fits in the hand (similar to a firearm) with the trigger being easy to locate in an emergency. Because of the speed of the jet the suspect does not have time to react. The speed of the jet (90MPH) forces the OC behind eye glasses and masks.

2. Remove Ads

Update on Kimber Lifeact

Quote Originally Posted by btaulbee View Post
    I agree! The very small sprays dont put out enough OC to stop a threat. They often fail and blow back at the user. Kimber Lifeact units fire about a 1/2 ounce of solution in less than a second giving you more than enough ingredient to stop the threat. OC is a distance weapon. Remember to spray and move away from the target at a 90 degree angle. I am a big fan of the kimber units because they wont depressurize, rupture, or leak. You can leave it in your car on a hot summer day without the unit bursting. I also like the way it fits in the hand (similar to a firearm) with the trigger being easy to locate in an emergency. Because of the speed of the jet the suspect does not have time to react. The speed of the jet (90MPH) forces the OC behind eye glasses and masks.
    Ok I know I really recommend the Lifeact in the above paragraph but today I was getting out of the car and dropped the unit on the pavement. Now something is loose inside the unit and I cant test fire the product without wasting the first shot. I think I am going to stick to my Sabre pepper spray or my ASP Key Defender.

www.sabrered.com

www.asp-net.com.

Lightbulb Return to Sender for Service!

Quote Originally Posted by btaulbee View Post
    Ok I know I really recommend the Lifeact in the above paragraph but today I was getting out of the car and dropped the unit on the pavement. Now something is loose inside the unit and I cant test fire the product without wasting the first shot.
    Just send it back to Kimber and get them to service the durn thing for 100% reliability. I'd still rather have one of these than a spray unit. Although I speak from the painful experience in my distant past of having a spray cannister explode and cover me in the chemical! Not fun. Thankfully I was a security guard on a construction site that had one of thoseindustrial showers in case of a chemical accident and a bunch of those construction workers knew what to do. I was barely out of high school at the time and working a summer job. An important lesson learned. I still hold a fond thought for those construction workers. Never learned the name of a single one. They all just melted back to the job.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Just send it back to Kimber and get them to service the durn thing for 100% reliability. I'd still rather have one of these than a spray unit. Although I speak from the painful experience in my distant past of having a spray cannister explode and cover me in the chemical! Not fun. Thankfully I was a security guard on a construction site that had one of thoseindustrial showers in case of a chemical accident and a bunch of those construction workers knew what to do. I was barely out of high school at the time and working a summer job. An important lesson learned. I still hold a fond thought for those construction workers. Never learned the name of a single one. They all just melted back to the job.
    Thanks for the info. I am going to call Kimber Customer Service Monday and see if they can send me a new unit. I think I will keep the new one in the car for auto defense and keep the ASP key defender on my keys.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I recommend a stream over a fog, more wind resistant. The chemical has a way of getting on your hands. If you use the stuff, make sure you wash thoroughly before excusing yourself to take care of personal business, or touch your eyes. The burn, otherwise, you will not easily forget!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Exclamation ooooooooo the IMAGERY!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    If you use the stuff, make sure you wash thoroughly before excusing yourself to take care of personal business, or touch your eyes. The burn, otherwise, you will not easily forget!
    An image to bring tears to the eyes...and NOT in a good way! OUCH!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    These are now being sold by Kimber. NOT a firearm! I'm going to get four for my family, including one for myself. There is a video on the site. Check it out. I like this because there is no leakage and it's almost impossible to avoid AND it's not affected by weather conditions. The gadget you want is called THE GUARDIAN.

http://www.piexon.com/
    That looks neat and all, considerably more effective that your standard OC, but I can see that going down badly for someone, being shaped like a pistol and all.
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

Exclamation Not THAT one!

Quote Originally Posted by threeonebravo View Post
    That looks neat and all, considerably more effective that your standard OC, but I can see that going down badly for someone, being shaped like a pistol and all.
    The one shaped like a firearm is NOT the guardian model to which I referred. The Guardian is very nondescript. Go look again.

ahh, woops *smacks head* attention to detail...
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

Hows about the sprays tested by the EPA

You might consider the following guidance provided by bear safety experts that comprise the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC). This group comprised of State and Federal biologists released recommendations for bear pepper spray on August 12, 1999. Their “Pepper Spray Position Paper” lists the following criteria:

Item IGBC Recommendations
    Spray Concentration 1% to 2% Capsaicin and Related Capsaicinoids
    Spray Distance 25 feet or more
    Spray Duration (minimum) 6 seconds
    Size (minimum) 7.9 ounces of net weight or 225 grams of spray
    Spray Pattern Cloud Pattern Spray
    Raw Material Derivative of Oleoresin Capsicum (OC)
    EPA Registered Yes

To read more that these experts had to say you can go to the following address on the web: http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/wildlife/igbc/Spray.htm
    With regard to these recommendations, only 3 sprays go the the minimum distance (25 feet), and 3 the minimum recommended duration(6 seconds). However, since the EPA doesn’t regulate those 2 qualities, it is up to you to decide what works best for you. I personally would feel secure with any of them. But I know of experienced outdoorsmen who insist on using only the first and oldest brand (Counter Assault); others who think that you’re best using an Alaskan spray when in Alaska (Guard Alaska); or one manufactured by someone who has actually been attacked by a bear (UDAP Pepper Power); and so it goes.

Good Stuff Here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    DPS is the stuff I highly recomend. It's hotter than hell, has more range than it's competitors, and it's very affordable.

I would, and do, take DPS over any other OC spray that is available.
    I didn't spray my self...but my wife says it's really not...(kidding, of course)...
    But it does shoot a straight line about 15' away...good distance for self-defense...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

just about any brand will work to some point to make the "bg" mad. i have seen oc not work on some/most "bg's" . if the "bg" is on drugs and/or he is a real bad guy the stuff will not work. we get shot once a year on the job with the stuff and the stuff does not do much to me. in other words if you sprayed me i will still do to you what want. yes snot will be running, but i will have my way with you. they gave it to us to carry on "raids" and i threw it in the trunk of my g-ride. get yourself a gun, forget the oc.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    get yourself a gun, forget the oc.

Not every body who needs to stop doing what they are doing needs to be shot. OC provides an option lower on the force continuum and can bridge the gap between "BACK OFF!" and BANG!

Will OC work on everyone? No. But neither will a gun.
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Having used OC spray in a previous career path, I can say from my own personal experience that BG will do one of two things if they get a good faceful: run away or fall down crying. Of course there was that one guy that calmly informed me that he was going to go wash his eyes out. Turned out to be a Marine embassy guard. Whoops!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by ShackleMeNot View Post
    Not every body who needs to stop doing what they are doing needs to be shot. OC provides an option lower on the force continuum and can bridge the gap between "BACK OFF!" and BANG!

Will OC work on everyone? No. But neither will a gun.
    AMEN! I have seen OC Spray in use and it is hard to fight someone when you cant see or breathe. What do you do if someone deciedes to punch you? Shoot them? I dont think so! OC is an excellent intermediate tool that can get you out of a situation and keep you from using your gun.
    Last edited by btaulbee; December 26th, 2006 at 11:33 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links