OC Spray recommendation? - Page 3

OC Spray recommendation?

This is a discussion on OC Spray recommendation? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Kimber Lifeact is an excellent OC option that is very effective. It completely covers the agressors face with one shot. Very wide spray pattern ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OC Spray recommendation?

The Kimber Lifeact is an excellent OC option that is very effective. It completely covers the agressors face with one shot. Very wide spray pattern at 12 inches in diameter. Keep in mind that no weapon (OC Spray, Taser, ASP Baton, Firearm) is 100% Effective. Another excellent pepper spray is the ASP Key Defender. It is made of aerospace aluminum and can be used as a kubaton. This unit is very rugged and refillable. You will pay more for a Kimber Lifeact or ASP Defedner but you get what you pay for!

I'm leary of the Kimber Lifeact Guardian Angel because it is only a two shot unit. What do you do if you miss or have more than two people who need to be sprayed?

http://www.defendingwomen.com/index....roducts_id=270

I watched the video and the guy doesn't exactly inspire me with his shots and I'm guessing he has shot the thing before.

Does it really do the job better than traditional sprays?
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

Quote Originally Posted by ShackleMeNot View Post
    I'm leary of the Kimber Lifeact Guardian Angel because it is only a two shot unit. What do you do if you miss or have more than two people who need to be sprayed?

http://www.defendingwomen.com/index....roducts_id=270

I watched the video and the guy doesn't exactly inspire me with his shots and I'm guessing he has shot the thing before.

Does it really do the job better than traditional sprays?
    It can depending on the situation. I keep the Kimber Lifeact in my car in case of a road rage encounter. One thing to remember is if you have more than one attacker you only have two shots. The video that you are seeing is not exactly a good demonstration of the unit in action. Beacuse of the low light you cant see the splatter pattern. When I fired the live unit it spread out about 12 inchs. Even if I was slightly off with my aim I would have still hit the target. I keep the Kimber Lifeact in my car and the ASP Key Defender on my keys. I like the key defender because it is made of metal and wont break if dropped to the ground. You can also use it as a key flail or defensive kubaton. It is very low profile. They run about 25-30 bucks but the refills are around 6 bucks and only have to be done once a year. It has a lifetime warranty.

One other thing with the Lifeact is it felt a little akward carrying it in my hand. It draws some attention as it looks like a stun gun. I prefer the Key Defender because it looks like a key chain and not pepper spray. Also the Lifeact is made of plastic so you will want to be carefull not to drop the unit.

www.asp-net.com/oc.html

You will get about 8-10 good shots with the key defender more than enough to handle multiple attackers.
    Last edited by btaulbee; December 26th, 2006 at 03:41 PM.

I carry a 2 oz FOX 5.3 can every day. I have larger cans of Top Cop in my truck and house.

The Kimber unit is interesting and maybe they will make a model with higher shot capacity but for now I'm fine with the spray I carry.
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

::
    Quote Originally Posted by ShackleMeNot View Post
    I carry a 2 oz FOX 5.3 can every day. I have larger cans of Top Cop in my truck and house.

The Kimber unit is interesting and maybe they will make a model with higher shot capacity but for now I'm fine with the spray I carry.
    I used to carry a 2 ounce container of OC but it was too bulky for me to carry in a pocket. Fox is a good spray that has been field tested. Most people believe it is the SHU that you look for in a spray. The SHU rating is the strength of the spray before it is mixed with the carrier and propellant. What you want to look for is the Capsaicinoid percentage of the spray.

Capsaicinoids are the active ingredient in pepper sprays that cause the inflammation and incapacitation of attackers. It should be labeled on the canister.

For Example.

Fox Labs is 2% OC 5.3 SHU with 0.70% Capsaicinoids.

Kimber Lifeact OC is 10% OC 3,990,000 SHU with 2.4% Capsaicinoids

Sabre Red/ASP is 10% OC 2,000,000 SHU with 1.33% Capsaicinoids.

www.reliapon.com/shu.htm

The higher the percentage of Capsaicinoids the hotter the spray.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links