OC Spray recommendation?

This is a discussion on OC Spray recommendation? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need your input on what would be the most effective, practical, OC spray out there for a daily carry personal defense (in your opinion). ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC Spray recommendation?

OC Spray recommendation?

I need your input on what would be the most effective, practical, OC spray out there for a daily carry personal defense (in your opinion). OC spray only please, no handgun input. I was thinking of a 15% 3 oz but not sure of a good brand. Size under 4 inches as well. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

DPS is the stuff I highly recomend. It's hotter than hell, has more range than it's competitors, and it's very affordable.

I would, and do, take DPS over any other OC spray that is available.
    Beretta 92FS

Top Cop (ALS) or Fox is what I recommend.

You should also get some training. Yes, it can be point and spray but there is a bit more to it. There are many schools out there that offer a 4 or 6 hour users course.

Here is a link to an article that may help:
    http://www.tacticalresponse.com/media/articles/pepper.php
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

I've heard nothing but good things about FOX Labs as well. It isn't the cheapest stuff out there but those who have been sprayed with it have had some good (bad?) things to say about it.
    I've never been sprayed though so I can't say from first hand experience.

http://www.foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml

Get sprayed with Fox Labs and then DPS and see which one tickles more, quicker.

The plus side is they both tickle alot, so you can't go wrong with either one :)
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    Get sprayed with Fox Labs and then DPS and see which one tickles more, quicker.

The plus side is they both tickle alot, so you can't go wrong with either one :)
    hmm, I actually would like to get sprayed at some point just to see what it's like...maybe with one of the "wimpy" brands...but I'll take your word for it on the difference between Fox and DPS!

Thank you all for your input. I now have a good place to start

+1 DPS. They sell containers with plain liquid in them so you can test fire and know their ranges. I'm convinced I can keep some distance between me and the BG with it. At least for a little while.

These are now being sold by Kimber. NOT a firearm! I'm going to get four for my family, including one for myself. There is a video on the site. Check it out. I like this because there is no leakage and it's almost impossible to avoid AND it's not affected by weather conditions. The gadget you want is called THE GUARDIAN.

http://www.piexon.com/
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

KIMBER LIFEACT GUARDIAN ANGEL www.kimberamerica.com

Shoots an extremely hot pepper solution (10% OC @ 2.4% Capsaicinoids, 399,000 at the nozle heat 3,990,000 raw SHU) at 90 MPH up to 13 feet with a 12 inch diameter pattern. It will not burst, rupture, or depressurize. Has a -5F -176F operating temp. Uses a pyrotechnic power drive which is ignited by pulling the trigger. The force of the jet will penetrate eye glasses, masks, and forces the spray into the pores and membranes.

I tested this product on a paper target from about 8 feet. The spray covered the face of the target with the OC. It would be impossible to dodge or block this spray. After 12 years of carrying OC this is the best improvement I have seen yet. It may take a few weeks to get this product from kimber. They are in such high demand that they are often on backorder. It was featured in the American Rifleman this month. You can also try www.defendingwomen.com

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Check out www.defensedevices.com Plenty of brands to choose from at good prices...I buy their 2 oz freeze +p stream for 9 bucks...great stuff, standard issue for the LASD...I also buy the 5 dollar Sabre (NYPD uses Sabre) pocket models....great stocking stuffers too..jst orderedx 20 as gifts....

Sabre Red
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Here's a couple of videos that are informative and enjoyable. The second one is Fox brand OC spray which is what I carry.
    **WARNING** The background music in the second video swears quite frequently.**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm7H3Y_wNVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYY4A9tAZLQ

I have been hit pretty much full face with Police OC spray while working security for a after Rodeo Bar party. Someone got out of hand and the police had to spray. I was in between him and the crowd keeping him from hurting anyone in the crowd. The police rushed in and he was so close to me that they could not get a clean shot with the spray, Within a second I knew I was getting hit too, they sprayed without warning and hit him and i got it too! NOT FUN!!! I stayed on my feet, but couldnt breathe, couldnt talk, couldnt see... Man... But I kept my self between him and the crowd. The police had him in cuffs fast and one of them took me outside for air and gave me a pat on the back and said, glad you did your job and said that i did well with the spray. Also gave me his card and told me when I got done with school If i wanted to work for the force to give him a call, he would put in a good word!

So i recomend OC! I diddnt get to ask what % it was but i know its standard police issue. so maybe that can help.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Sprays

I like the sprays with the flip top controls. If you watch the video posted by jerkeejoe you can see the camera person try and fail to fire it the first time. I find it easy to fire, but hard to accidentally set off in your pocket, purse, etc. I have more experience with these than the Fox:
    http://www.macebrand.com/
    I like the foam, and carry the 10% at work since I can't CCW. I've never tried the Fox personally, but lots of folks recommnd it every time this question comes up. Don't go cheap and by the little lipstick sprays or pen sprays. They have a range of about 2 feet and no power to the spray. I'll probably try one of the new Kimber sprays that look like the pager. I like what I've seen so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links