What about a kevlar jacket liner?

This is a discussion on What about a kevlar jacket liner? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've worn M65 type jackets for years with the button out liners. I was slipping one on the other day and wondered if a liner ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: What about a kevlar jacket liner?

What about a kevlar jacket liner?

I've worn M65 type jackets for years with the button out liners. I was slipping one on the other day and wondered if a liner made up of kevlar layers would offer a little protection. Not heavy duty like trauma plates, but lightweight and inconspicuous.

Thoughts?
    Life is about service.

2. Remove Ads

This is pure speculation on my part, but:

In order for a kevlar fabric to properly disperse the energy from a bullet, there needs to be a solid backing behind it. This is why just hanging a vest up and shooting it doesn't realistically show actual performance.

With such a jacket, you would need to have it zipped/buttoned up in order for it to work, and it would need to be rather snug.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Such jackets already exist. And...business suits and Kevlar book bag and backpack inserts for kids etc.

But, you need a certain thickness or "X" number of layers of Kevlar/Aramid or whatever in order to be even moderately protective against projectiles so a "body armor" jacket certainly would be heavier and more ungainly than a normal jacket.

As technology advances and revolutionary new materials are invented lightweight truly bulletproof clothing may become available and/or eventually commonplace.

Of course by then Smart Bullets will be programmed with facial recognition to automatically change course and strike everybody in the head.

But, by then some scientist will already be working on a bullet proof transparent face mask.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah there are number of south American companies they sell bullet resistant high end name brand jackets ..

What you need to remember is blunt trauma the vest my stop the round but you may still end in the depth from blunt force so backing or better yet trauma plats help

It is a big market now to make bullet resistant clothing and the material is getting better ..

As for a liner I dont know most vest are made as one unit . I think they make Kevlar panels that slip into hard armor carrier to cover the sides but not sure about on that full size .

I will say that if you are thinner and get a newer vest it does help hide it better . But most any armor imop is going to be heavier and bulkier and hotter then normal non armor clothing ..But you can hide a leval 3a vest very easy under a loser jacket hard plate not so much .. But it might be a bit hot but I know it can be done ( though you may look a bit pudgier)

Links