Does PA law allow ANY Less than Lethal?

This is a discussion on Does PA law allow ANY Less than Lethal? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I asked about carrying an ASP and it seems that allong with an ASP, everything else I can think of that is expressly an impact ...

Thread: Does PA law allow ANY Less than Lethal?

Does PA law allow ANY Less than Lethal?

I asked about carrying an ASP and it seems that allong with an ASP, everything else I can think of that is expressly an impact weapon if forbidden as well.

I know I could carry a maglite, but I suspect that could get dicey. It would also be quite bulky for anything except inmy truck. I guess a minimag would work with some kuboton training.

What about pepper spray? I do work Security part time and they do offer OC training. I guess I could do that. Maybe someone can tell me, would I need to have formal training to be able to carry pepper spray in PA? If I did get training through work, would that allow mw to carry it off duty?

Is there an alternative? I do carry a folding knife, but I think an impact weapon would be better. If my life is in danger, I will use my gun, but if it is determined that a LTL approach is warranted, I don't see the knife as Less Than Lethal.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    You can carry OC as Less Than Lethal in Pa. without any required OC training. No problem.

Visit J&L Self Defense Products ~ Click Here. A very good & honest company to deal with. Call your order into them. They are Credit Card safe....I've ordered from them 4 or 5 times (using a credit card by phone) and their OC product is always fresh & they ship Lightning FAST.
    Tell J&L you heard about them from CombatCarry.com.

As far as I know there has been one legal precedent set and "ruled on" by a Pennsylvania judge that a "Butterfly Knife" is not a Pa prohibited knife style.

There also do not seem to be any specific blade length restrictions in the PA law ~ only that "Daggers" (AKA knives w/ double edges) are not legal to carry.

Basically, your Pa License To Carry covers your firearm.
    There are some interesting heavy duty flashlight styles out there that might fit your requirements as an accessory carry emergency light source.
    There is no problem with carrying a flashlight because it has a quite obvious legal purpose.

"Sun Guns" are also Less Than Lethal and are Pa. Legal. Some of the Stun Guns are combination Baton & Stun Gun and I'm not sure how iffy they would be.

I'm not sure who you would talk to about it but, if you are Security then you can probably get Pa. Baton Certified.

WOuld being certified to carry a baton for Security allow me to carry it off duty?
    I'm not sure we can get a baton cert. I work security for a College.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    WOuld being certified to carry a baton for Security allow me to carry it off duty?
    I'm not sure we can get a baton cert. I work security for a College.
    if you're talking about act 235, then no. it only covers carrying in relation to employment. bottom line: if you're not working, you can't carry it. besides, if you have CCP to go with your handgun, and you have a good pocketknife and some oc spray, why would you need a baton?

I don't believe that ALL situations warrant Lethal force. I don't really have any special hand to hand skills and I was looking for an alternative to OC. I guess OC is all there is.

of course, carrying a baton isn't exactly illegal, either. it's one of things in PA that is kind of up in the air legally, like open carry. open carry is de facto legal, but i would never do it, to avoid hassles with LEO. if i were to carry a baton, i would practice the same discretion as with any defensive item.

Links