Pepper spray vs. Wasp and Bear spray

This is a discussion on Pepper spray vs. Wasp and Bear spray within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good article describing different sprays. Hope this is the right place. Does Bear Spray or Wasp Spay work for Self-Defense? - American Preppers Network : ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stevew
  • 1 Post By patri0t

Thread: Pepper spray vs. Wasp and Bear spray

Good article describing different sprays. Hope this is the right place.

Does Bear Spray or Wasp Spay work for Self-Defense? - American Preppers Network : American Preppers Network

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Good article. Note that if you want you can also get 'fogger' cans of OC, or even OC grenades. I would consider those larger units for use in certain situations, mainly facing multiples.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    we use the grenades at work (armed security) to break up brawls at clubs at night, when they get into it in the parking lot and we don't want to wade into the fray. They scatter like roaches when those things go off, and we just round them up and speed-cuff them after that, while they're screaming and clawing at their eyes. Great stuff.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Good to see the truth come out about wasp spray.

The police who came out to consult on the defense plan for my daughters' school even recommended wasp spray for the teachers to keep on their desk. I am still fighting that one.

I have posted in the past in response to people recommending wasp spray for self defense. I have accidentally sprayed myself directly in the face and eyes with wasp spray. It had no effect on me at all. It certainly would not take me out of a fight. It did just about incapacitate my wife with laughter.
    phreddy likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

When choosing an Oleoresin Capsicum Spray, never pay ANY attention to anything marked over 2%; that is a dead give-away of fraudulent marketing.

As training, I have been hosed with Fox Labs, Guardian and Sabre. I was able to overcome the Sabre, but not the other two.
    The LEO Only forums really don't offer much of a 3rd choice, either.

My choice would be anything by Fox Labs with little preference between their 2 or 5 Million SHU units, also, (but contrary to Fox Lab's advice for beginners) is to use the 'stream' instead of the 'spray'. I have seen the wind blow it right back into the LEO's face. Clown was lucky I was there... he was hurting.

If walking in bear country, I'd prefer a 4oz or 8oz "Crowd Pleaser" unit, by Fox Labs, as bears are 10X more susceptible to the O.C., than humans.
    Me & my wife carry a 2oz Fox Labs unit, when deemed appropriate. Big advantage is they can be "Brandished" when BGs try to crowd you.... they know what it is.
    Too many folks think a sidearm will save them from a bare-fisted beat-down.... save arguments for the jury.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    When choosing an Oleoresin Capsicum Spray, never pay ANY attention to anything marked over 2%; that is a dead give-away of fraudulent marketing.

As training, I have been hosed with Fox Labs, Guardian and Sabre. I was able to overcome the Sabre, but not the other two.
    The LEO Only forums really don't offer much of a 3rd choice, either.

My choice would be anything by Fox Labs with little preference between their 2 or 5 Million SHU units, also, (but contrary to Fox Lab's advice for beginners) is to use the 'stream' instead of the 'spray'. I have seen the wind blow it right back into the LEO's face. Clown was lucky I was there... he was hurting.

If walking in bear country, I'd prefer a 4oz or 8oz "Crowd Pleaser" unit, by Fox Labs, as bears are 10X more susceptible to the O.C., than humans.
    Me & my wife carry a 2oz Fox Labs unit, when deemed appropriate. Big advantage is they can be "Brandished" when BGs try to crowd you.... they know what it is.
    Too many folks think a sidearm will save them from a bare-fisted beat-down.... save arguments for the jury.
    actually don't pay attention to the % (by volume) at all. The only thing that matters is the heat index, or scoville rating.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Links