I'm looking for a good emergency power outage radio, any suggestions?

This is a discussion on I'm looking for a good emergency power outage radio, any suggestions? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We got slammed with snow here in Detroit and could possibly lose power because of it. This got me thinking about an emergency radio and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By guitarzNgunz
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: I'm looking for a good emergency power outage radio, any suggestions?

I'm looking for a good emergency power outage radio, any suggestions?

We got slammed with snow here in Detroit and could possibly lose power because of it. This got me thinking about an emergency radio and how we don't have one. So better late than never, I'm looking to get one soon. Any suggestions on something not too expensive that wouldn't be complete junk?

Features I'd be interested in are:

Solar Panel
    Crank
    Able to take batteries (AA or AAA or 18650)
    AM/FM/NOAA
    Weather Alert with S.A.M.E. Technology (Specific Area Message Encoding)
    Shortwave Receiver SW1/SW2
    USB charging port to charge the radio from a computer
    MP3 input
    DC jack power option
    Car lighter charger
    Durable
    Water Resistant
    Somewhat Portable (for camping, lake, etc.)

Price range is $40-$60

The purpose of this radio would be to obtain information in the event of a power outage as well as take on camping trips and for playing an MP3 or iPod at the beach.

So far I've been considering these:
    1. Kaito Voyager KA-500 (Has everything I'm looking for but I'm not sure of it's durability because of some negative reviews) Dynamo and Solar Powered Shortwave Radio with NOAA bands, KA500
    2. C Crane Solar Observer CC Solar Observer AM/FM/Weather Windup Emergency Radio - C. Crane Company (800) 522-8863
    3. Ambient Weather WR-335 (Pricey) Ambient Weather WR-335 ADVENTURER2 Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM/SW/WB Weather Alert Radio, Flashlight, Siren, Smart Phone Charger
    4. Eton Scorpion (Doesn't take batteries, No Shortwave)Scorpion | Eton
    5. Eton FRX3 (Again no shortwave)FRX3 - American Red Cross | Eton
    6. Eton FR370 (No Shortwave, pricey $70)Solarlink FR370 | Eton
    7. Midland ER300 (No Shortwave, pricey $73)https://midlandusa.com/weather-radio...r-alert-radio/

Thanks
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    StormRhydr likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

GH
    I have an Eton "American Red Cross" radio that has many of the features that you want. No shortwave, otherwise about everything else like NOAA. I don't think MP3 input is available. Car adapters optional. It operates with 3 AAA batteries, Solar or crank. I have no idea what it cost because I got it as a gift a number of years ago.

I have another emergency radio with a tuning dial as opposed to a digital tuner. It's a Grundig FR200. No NOAA. It has AM, FM & SW 1&2. No solar just 3 AA batteries & crank. Also a gift may years ago.

Both radios have flashlights.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Administrator
    I have an EATON FRX3. It's working just fine on the AAA batteries. Not all of the features that you want though. MOST of them. The sound on this one is much better than my earlier EATON.
    I just bought it recently. So far I am happy with it.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I live in Florida and hurricanes and tornados are always a threat. The big storms we get sometimes knock the power out too. I am a ham radio operator and have lots of battery powered radios. However, the most useful radio I have found and use all the time, is one of those that run on solar power or by cranking them up to power them. It also has a flashlight that is usable. You can find these online or in Home Depot type stores. Not going to play your music but will allow you to receive the local radio stations.

You can also use your smart phone with a cigarette lighter adaptor. That will give you music and with the right apps, radio and even police and emergency scanner capabilities. I can even use mine as a ham radio to listen or contact people all over the world. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I live in Florida and hurricanes and tornados are always a threat. The big storms we get sometimes knock the power out too. I am a ham radio operator and have lots of battery powered radios. However, the most useful radio I have found and use all the time, is one of those that run on solar power or by cranking them up to power them. It also has a flashlight that is usable. You can find these online or in Home Depot type stores. Not going to play your music but will allow you to receive the local radio stations.

You can also use your smart phone with a cigarette lighter adaptor. That will give you music and with the right apps, radio and even police and emergency scanner capabilities. I can even use mine as a ham radio to listen or contact people all over the world. :)
    Which one do you have?
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    For your price range you can get a Grundig (sp?) that also has a short wave band. I believe that Sportsman's Guide had them on sale recently. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Red Cross model is made by Grundig. I know that a lot of backpackers on the AT swear by them. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Very good thread. Looks like something else I will be looking into.

I really like the looks of the 2 way midland radio that pgrass mentioned. The crank thing is nice, but for battery use, I want it to be AA, or D cell. In other words, common batteries. AAA batteries always seemed like a bad idea to me.

Most things seem to run on AA, and AAAs dont seem to hold enough power to power much, for every long.

I believe I'm going to look into the Kaito Voyager. Seems to have quite a few good features we could all benefit from. Thanks
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Moderator
    I have found that the AA batteries work well for the radio and the LED light works well but it drains the batteries faster than just the radio
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I bought the ETON that LLBean had on sale, one for my daughter, her friend, her boyfriend, the house, and each car - six in total for $30 each. They are crank, USB and battery powered, have am/fm/noaa, and a flashlight.

C. Crane Company markets some nice offerings. I'd do the linky thing, but I'm too busy offering my semi-brilliant observations.
    guitarzNgunz and QKShooter like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I just placed my order for the CC Solar Observer.C. Crane COBS CC Solar Observer Wind-up Emergency Radio with AM/FM and Weather Band, Black - Smarthome They have great reviews on Amazon and it has everything I was looking for accept Shortwave. Should suit me well. Takes AA's and can function on solar alone. As well as various power options such as crank, batteries, or optional AC jack. I like that it is basic, there is nothing to suck the power from it like a digital tuner, unnecessary thermometer etc. just cut and dry emergency radio from a renowned company known for many years to make quality radios.

Administrator
    This latest EATON is pretty nice for emergencies. It takes about 6 to 8 hours to fully charge the one battery pack with SOLAR. Eaton states 10 hours but, it's quicker than that.

The battery life with the three AAA batteries is not real great. Be aware of that fact and have some extra batteries on hand.

You would need to crank your tail off to fully charge the radio with the hand crank. But, it works great just to crank it for a short while to catch an emergency weather update or a NEWS FLASH.

I think it is fine for a home Emergency radio but, it is too bulky for a Bug Out Bag.

I have a little tiny AM FM Weather radio - the smallest one I could find with a speaker instead of just an ear piece. It is compact, lightweight, gets good reception & seems to run forever on two AAA batteries and that is the one I stuff into my bag. I'd love to get a C. Crane one of these days but, I have other priorities & since I do not live in a Natural Disaster Prone area...my need for a top BEST quality radio is less than for some members.
    I do not have any tornadoes, forest fires, hurricanes, flooding, tidal waves, tsunamis, riots, etc. where I live so (for now) a mediocre radio will do.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links